Benelli Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guy's

My Tre started to eat its clutch basket and I am at present replacing it.
I have stripped it and can see how to replace the basket and the oil pump, but can't work out how to replace the other gear that drives the alternator off the bell. If I remove the Alternator will the shaft slide back enough to drop of the gear ??? or will I hear the sound of internals falling where they shouldnt ???

Any help would be useful

Max

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Max,

You can remove the alternator by unscrewing the 3 bolts. The gear will not drop! If you want to replace that gear you'll have to dismantle the casing. Thats what I can sort out with the help of the work shop manual. (chapter 5.11 and further)

By the way, have you any idea how much iron parts (comming from the basket) are pumped through the engine.

I had the same problem and Benelli decided to give me a new engine.

I hope you can solve your problem

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I shall have to start stripping it and have a good look. There was very little swarf in the engine as it hadn't broken up I noticed that the gear looked distorted before it broke up. I had a word with Brian at KJM and we worked out that it still had an unmodified bell so I now have a new one to fit, I just wanted to change the gear it runs against as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gear replacement

Hi Max you can change the drive gear quite easily, remove alternator(disconnect battery first) once alternator is off remove drive cush rubbers. you will have to straighten out the lockwasher holding the bolt that fixes the cush rubber housing. With clutch bell still attached put bike in gear and get a helper to put on the rear brake, you can now undo the bolt.Once this is undone remove the lockwasher and housing,then take off the clutch bell. The drive gear is held in place by the shaft it sits on. Tap the shaft gently from left to right(if its tight get a helper to hold a socket over the drive gear, big enough for the shaft to pass through) push the shaft through with a screwdriver so the screwdriver sits where the shaft was,This keeps the starter clutch in position, once shaft is far enough through the drive gear will become free. fitting the new gear is a reversal of the removal, BTW put loctite on the alternator drive housing mounting bolt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: gear replacement

Ok I'll try that, I had hoped that the shaft would push back towards the alternator but if the inside gear will be held in place by a screwdriver then no real probs.
I'll let you know when its goes horribly wrong :rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: gear replacement

Gear changed, found out why my clutch bell was breaking up , the bolt holding the shaft had come loose as it didnt have the lock washer on. I'll have to get the right washer from Brian next week. Also how do you hold the rubber things in to replace the alternator ?? (God I'm useless at these things).
:rollin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
rubbers

Hi Max are the rubbers in 8 pieces or 4, If there is 8 pieces they have broken up and will need replacing with new parts. If your rubbers are ok hold them in position using rubber grease to the housing on the engine side. Line up the alternator paddle fins to the slots in the rubbers and push into position. If you are using a new O ring you may have to wind in the alternator evenly using the three mounting bolts. The new type O ring is slightly larger than original, This will cut itself to shape and seal accordingly. Hope this helps you

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As per JohnnyO's suggestion, I used Gasket Goo to hold the rubbers in place on the crankcase side and it has worked fine.It is a fiddly jobs and requires a couple of attempts and a little patience!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were in 8 bits so i've ordered new ones. that should make it easier to reassemble i hope.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts