Benelli Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now over a year of ownership ,coupled with the weather turning a bit damp i reckon it's that time.I suppose my bike has always suffered from the starter motor "jam" .The previous owner told me he'd had the starter motor rewound ? because of the weak starting. I don't think he'd had the bike long, which brought me to wondering if my bike is known to the forum at all , it's a yellow amazonas reg HF11 *** ,which would be a good way of knowing what's been done or not on the machine.
Anyway after a good clean round i've disconnected the battery, clutch arm and alternator to be looking at this. From what i've read here this looks to be the upgraded washer right, so i'm guessing this is good so far. The alternator seal was broken which would explain the oily mess ,which i've now cleaned up. There is a bit of play, not side to side ,but back and forth on the cup that holds the cush rubbers and the washer in relation to the bolt, about 1mm. So next i'm going to remove the clutch cover to insect the other end but in the meantime....
I've noticed i have the 6mm(standard) cables to the battery/alternator/starter .I'm thinking this would be a good time to make a new set in 8mm? while i'm waiting for possible parts. I take it it's 3 cables right.I can remove one at a time and copy it ,which may cure the starter problem or help.
How am i doing so far
Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Alloy wheel

This is the inside face of the alternator, i have the other cush rubbers on my desk

Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Locking hubs Alloy wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double it is then .Going to inspect the shaft and gear next , then see what parts i need or hopefully not need as i've been cancelled from one supplier and didn't really connect on a spiritual and emotional level with the other 馃槄:p' as if parts weren't hard enough to get already . I'll make a new set of cables at my mates garage as he has all the gear.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've removed the alternator bolt , it doesn't seem to have been loctited but was on solid enough, i've removed the clutch cover and am looking at this , there is what looks like a date 07/04 scribed on the gear , it has machining lines visible but is smooth to the touch ,the shaft has 4 lines and what looks like an alignement mark in indelible marker . So it seems someone has done something here.All else looks good to me, no loose bolts ,no chunks of metal in the oil .What do the great minds think

Wheel Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive design
Automotive tire Rim Gear Automotive wheel system Auto part

Registered
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
The alternator coupling seems to have a little fore and aft play on the splined shaft, is this allowed or should i apply some form of loctite .The bolt had no loctite and it didn't seem as tight as i was expecting so i suspect it may have backed off a little.I'm going to try Triumph Sprint alternator cush rubbers for denso alternator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts