Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Ambient temperature sensor dispay reads -30 on Dash?
Any ideas.
the sensor is mounted above the headlamp and I think is working I have two and they cannot both be duff!
I would expect it to affect fueling but guessing as it runs well even at full temp and when fans cut in.
Any comment appreciated.
ps fork seals changed and almost ready for its first MOT in 5 years.

·
5,967 Posts
It's not connecting to the dash, that's why the dash reads -30C. It's open circuit.

The ambient temperature sensor has nothing to do with fueling. It's not connected to the ECU in any way.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's not connecting to the dash, that's why the dash reads -30C. It's open circuit.

The ambient temperature sensor has nothing to do with fueling. It's not connected to the ECU in any way.
Thanks Engenia I'll have to try to trace the wiring! Back to the "Workshop Manual " wiring then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
YYEESS i know I should have done it sooner Its been sat under a sheet since purchase, but since getting a hydraulic ramp I had a new lease of life, I can highly recommend them, Just to tight to spend on one before (trainee Yorkshireman) Will need to look at it a bit longer as i will need a multibike policy with no claims transfered. Buell xbr9 owned 15year, NSU 250 Supermax 19 years in the family , CBR250R (may have to go) the Wife rides a BN251 and Nelli 5 years.
I shall list all parts used and suppliers for reference once happy on the road.
Cheers for you input guys

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ps tested temp sensor with multimeter temp probe setting and read 17c this morning so as Engenia suggested connection the clocks need investigation

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ps tested temp sensor with multimeter temp probe setting and read 17c this morning so as Engenia suggested connection the clocks need investigation
Sorted temp reed out. The lead on the sensor is Black/Black and connected to one of three white connectors under headlamp cowl this being Black/black should have been connected to Black Black/Red the other two i think are Trek indicators!.
Now working on original clocks as replacement read 22k and mine only done17K but didn't work at all. Now have a full working clocks after re-soldering the multiblock connection to board but only when the fuel light is off, partial display when fuel light is on so must have a poor connection in the clocks as replacements work fine.

·
Registered
764 Posts
How is the cable black black ? How many shades of black are there ? 😀

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Machine
Could be a very dark purple but indistinguishable from black and the temp sensor is definitely black black as I have 2 of them. This time the wiring diagram is correct! wires to the dash it plugs into is Red with black tracer and black into white socket the other 2 sockets the same are high level indicator (I think Trek)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi Machine
Could be a very dark purple but indistinguishable from black and the temp sensor is definitely black black as I have 2 of them. This time the wiring diagram is correct! wires to the dash it plugs into is Red with black tracer and black into white socket the other 2 sockets the same are high level indicator (I think Trek)
Cheers mate will have a bo peep tomorrow.

·
Registered
5 Posts

I have the same problem with my ambient temperature. My dash reads also -30°C. But there is no bad connection from ambient sensor to the female dash connector but a bad connection within the dash.
Motor vehicle Communication Device Telephony Camera accessory Audio equipment

·
5,967 Posts
Pull it apart and check for dry or unsoldered joints, You'll have to remove the needles to get to the top of the pcb.
I recently found a joint free of solder in a dash off an RS. It got through quality control only because the wire was touching the circuit at the time.
The ECU fault light was intermittent. It rarely flashed on when the ignition was turned on.
Circuit component Hardware programmer Electronic engineering Computer hardware Audio equipment

1 - 13 of 13 Posts