Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
909 Posts
I like, it's the future

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk
Yeah , till we all plug in the chargers to have a run out in the morning. Everyone else is charging the car for monday morning , you plug the kettle in for a cuppa , and boom , we have a blackout.
I want to see , real running costs of these electric thingies, how far they go , how long they take to charge, what you do when they wont charge.
I have toured 6000 miles in one trip on a bike , 300 to 400 miles a day, day after day, 6 countries. Munich from England in a day on a bike 7 tanks of fuel.
How may charges to get up north Will ? and will I ever get back ?.
A 40 mile run out is one thing, every day long distance motoring is another.

·
5,899 Posts
I'm inclined to agree. Electric is brilliant for town work - we'll be getting one as soon as we get a few more options here in Oz - but when I want to make a 1000 km trip in a day it probably won't cut it with the current need to charge a fixed pack. Quick release battery packs will solve that problem. I understand that several bike manufacturers are in cahoots over that, so it might be on the horizon.
Black outs are unlikely though, as solar cells get cheaper. I fully expect that our next house will end up being self sufficient as regards energy. The days of monster electric grids are numbered, in favour of small distributed systems.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Yeah , till we all plug in the chargers to have a run out in the morning. Everyone else is charging the car for monday morning , you plug the kettle in for a cuppa , and boom , we have a blackout.
I want to see , real running costs of these electric thingies, how far they go , how long they take to charge, what you do when they wont charge.
I have toured 6000 miles in one trip on a bike , 300 to 400 miles a day, day after day, 6 countries. Munich from England in a day on a bike 7 tanks of fuel.
The Electric vehicles that are coming out are in most cases are first Generation. People forget that the petrol/ diesel vehicles have been out over a hundred years and apart from the induction of computers sod all has changed and a lot still give shitty MPG. One blast down the autobahn on my tornado a couple of years ago and I emptied the tank in 40 minutes 😆😆. With a range between 130/50. The future’s bright lads enjoy it.

Reactions: R Powell

·
Registered
909 Posts
The Electric vehicles that are coming out are in most cases are first Generation. People forget that the petrol/ diesel vehicles have been out over a hundred years and apart from the induction of computers sod all has changed and a lot still give shitty MPG. One blast down the autobahn on my tornado a couple of years ago and I emptied the tank in 40 minutes 😆😆. With a range between 130/50. The future’s bright lads enjoy it.
Well 40 minutes on the autobahn cracked open at close on 250 clicks you would have covered well over 150 klms.
You would have had to stop twice and recharge to even cover 150 klms flat out.

The future is bright until the lights go out. Ever walked in a retail outlet when they have a power cut, nothing works , cash only .Now that brings everything to a grinding halt. Your card does work, you cant use the hole in the wall, cause thats down as well.Unless you arrive on the forecourt of a filling station on fumes, you can get to the next one and fill up there.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I see your thinking but then we own (used to own) the most unreliable bikes apparently, think Benelli owners would jump at the chance to own something special that is still as temperamental as the British weather.

I only know two people with electric cars and they only have 2 gripes, one says he has done too many miles in it (it's on PCP finance) and the other is my Dad, he moans he never knows if he has turned it on or not (also an avid petrol head and has a few bikes but could not ignore having instant full power and no trips to Mr BP anymore)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I would love the irony of turning up at a filling station to fix the fuel pumps in an electric van. But since the range of the ones available is 100 to 150 miles and I can do up to 600 in a day(although that is a bad day) can’t see it working for me. I think it might work if batteries were standardised ,rapidly swappable and changing/charging stations were common.

·
Registered
909 Posts
I would love the irony of turning up at a filling station to fix the fuel pumps in an electric van. But since the range of the ones available is 100 to 150 miles and I can do up to 600 in a day(although that is a bad day) can’t see it working for me. I think it might work if batteries were standardised ,rapidly swappable and changing/charging stations were common.
The Chinese scooter moped market is developing a cartridge battery system that slot in like the battery packs in your cordless drill. The idea is you buy the scooter and it comes with two slot in batteries. you run them down and pull into a recharging station (like our petrol forecourts. you take your batteries out and slot them in the charger unit. Pay a fee (like paying for fuel at the pumps. kerching ! the machine releases two recharged units , and away you go till they rundown . Pull in another charge station and do it again. The charging station owns the batteries , when they fail, they recycle them/ rebuild them and everybody pays them for the service. Bit like a fuel station really .
I wonder how many battery cartridges you need for cars or vans or HGV,s

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I would like to know/read others thoughts on the Rivian RT.
I am no stranger to making huge stupid financial commitments that my arse can't cash but the Rivian.... Makes total sense.
400 or so mile range, looks epic, probably better built than my Nissan Nivara, oh and it does tank turns, I mean come on... A freaking tank turn.....SOLD

It looks -(to me at least) the mutts nuts. And being electric means all the hairy vegan non binaries won't be offended.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts