Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,

I am another new Bennelli owner - bought last weekend and ridden 300 miles home to Hertfordsire, via as many bends as I could find. No Aches or pains and a joy to ride.

Reckon it loves the fast open (and smooth) roads, not so much fun of the smaller ones around where I live. They are lumper, tighter and made my bum ache. I also have an R1100S, it is more suited to the back roads and my girlfriend fits on the back of that one.

Already had the problem of cutting out, that was a nice sideways experience 1st thing in the morning. Will have to watch that one.

Couple of questions
Has anyone done a track day on one ( I have never done one, but fancy doing one). What was it like
HAs any one ever visited the factory - by chance I am in Italy on Holiday (booked before I bought the bike) and am close to the factory. Will they give you a guided tour ?

:) :) :)

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Hi LS and welcome to the Forum.

Can't help you on the Track day question but I emailed the factory a couple of times when I first got my Tronado in 2004 and received replies advising that "they do not do Factory Visits".

However, I attended the TRE-K launch last year in Misano and I was lucky enough to make a couple of contacts who arranged a visit for me a few weeks later.

One of the other guys on the Forum (Saloe) also managed to wangle a visit when he picked up a replacement engine for his TRE and he has a few pics on his website:- http://members.chello.nl/e.salomons2/fotoboekpagina_tn.htm

·
903 Posts
Track day

:hiya: Lost Soul and welcome to the forum.

I can help you with your question re track days on you Nelli for I had the privilage of racing my Tornado around the Misano race track in Italy over a weekend in September 2004. Myself and a few lucky Benelli owners where given the opportunity to go there as guests of the Benelli factory and what a great time was had by all!!

There was over 200 Benelli's (Tornados plus TNT's) and to the best of my knowledge not one broke down! A few ended up in the gravel traps though! :doh: I done 8 half hour sessions on the Saturday and 5 on the Sunday. You will thoroughly enjoy the experience if you do one, the Nelli handles very well and stops very quickly as well. Once you have experienced the slipper clutch in action you will not want to stop! Top speed is on par with a good jap 600 but the noise on acceleration will set the hairs on the back of your neck on end! I did not touch my suspension settings as I was happy on the stock setting. (I'm 84kg) The only preperation I done was change the oil and filter, remove the mirrors and numberplate assembley and increase the tyre pressures by 2psi, job done.

I raced for six years and can honestly say that the above weekend rank's amongest the best of my race days (and I have done over 500!) My advice to you is go for it and race yourself and not others as there is ALWAYS someone better than you, if you try to race them it may end up in tears! Don't drink alcohol the night before and on the day, eat lightly, Banana's are good, drink plenty of water and stop if you feel tired as you WILL make a mistake and end up in the kitty litter!

Hope this helps, keep us posted if you do one as we would like to hear how you got on!

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Them's wise words from a soothesayer :bow:

Aint that right Uncle Lloyd ! :rolling:

Welcome to the forum Lost Soul - hope you enjoy your time on here :D

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you

Thanks for the welcome and the advice on the factory and track days.

I will Email the factory and see if I can sneak in. As an mechcanical engineer by training I will do my best to flater their Italien briliance.

Hopefully I will try the evening track day on Thursday at Brands Hatch. Though this may change as work maybe be an issue that day. Brands is reasonably close.

I will take it easy, as long as the Red Mist doesn't come down, I have no idea of the limits of the bike or more importantly my own.

I am already addicted to the sound of engine at full chat. Reckon I need to do the odd track day to preserve the license.

Still go weak at the knees when I look in my garage. I will try and post a photo or two.

Does anyone know a good place to buy the odd accessory ?

Many thanks for the welcome

May your Italien Stalions keep your wheels turning

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Welcome to the site LS, Lloyd is spot on as always. She's not the quickest of bikes, but as you already know sounds amazin. I've not long got back from a long weekend at the nurburgring. She never put a foot wrong. Had a faultless weekend for once! :rolling: . Although she nearly came home in a crate. After trying to keep up with one of those better riders :doh: . The joys of the karussell! And my knees still go weak when i open the garage. You'll find the guys on here salt of the earth. Enjoy;)

·
Registered
197 Posts
Personally I don't do anything else with the Tornado but ride it on the track. And I really enjoy it (especially since I have a working clutch again) :rolling:

:)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
opps - not a good track day

Didn't drop it or anything, but after 1st 20 mins, blew a Core Plug. Came home on a trailer Rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Detials are on the Tre forum

warning though I was enjoying it - I WILL BE BACK

and Dingle Dell is as scary as hell (if you want it to be)

·
903 Posts
Didn't drop it or anything, but after 1st 20 mins, blew a Core Plug. Came home on a trailer Rats !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Detials are on the Tre forum

warning though I was enjoying it - I WILL BE BACK

and Dingle Dell is as scary as hell (if you want it to be)
The tip with Dingle Dell (or Bazza's Bend as we call it) is keep to the far left after Westfields and as soon as you see the painted kerb on your right lean in, do this and you will be amazed how fast you can get through here.

Be warned though, you only have about a metre of track when going quickly through here. If you get it wrong into the kitty litter you go!:doh::bawl:

·
1,841 Posts
Hold on a min Lloyd ! dingle dell corner (sheenes curve) is not the same anymore, I think you are talking about the original bend,(blind,chuck it in andgun it out) I loved it but they have spoilt it now !:doh:
I think they slowed it down with a wiggely bit ?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Track day tyre pressures

:hiya: Lost Soul and welcome to the forum.

The only preperation I done was change the oil and filter, remove the mirrors and numberplate assembley and increase the tyre pressures by 2psi, job done.
Hi Lloyd,

Increase the tyre pressures is the opposite of normal advice isn't it. The idea being that as tracks are more demanding the tyres get hotter, pressure increases beyond recommendations for tyres i.e. shape, distortion etc.

Of course happy to take the advice of a soothesayer and it may depend on where you start i.e. standard is around 40psi at the rear.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
Does anyone know what the correct pressures are exactly for the road then ?

I understood it was 36psi front and rear (the manual says 2.5bar - (or something like) that for both, which translates to 36psi ??)

·
Registered
256 Posts
Tyre types

Any difference to pressure regarding tyre manufacturer? Wouldn't have thought so, and I have seen a long thread which concludes michelin 2ct are the way to go, and my original dunlop 207rrs will be replaced soon.:D

·
903 Posts
Hi Lloyd,

Increase the tyre pressures is the opposite of normal advice isn't it. The idea being that as tracks are more demanding the tyres get hotter, pressure increases beyond recommendations for tyres i.e. shape, distortion etc.

Of course happy to take the advice of a soothesayer and it may depend on where you start i.e. standard is around 40psi at the rear.

Cheers
:doh: That should mean decrease!!! As you ride harder on the track the tyre temperature will increase leading to an expansion of air in the tyre which of course leads to higher tyre pressures. That's cleared that up:clap: :rolling: :rolling:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts