Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i'm not totally new but havent introduced myself properly yet.
I'm a fiftyniner (meaning i'm still 49) live in Denmark and purchased a Tornado RS in january from Red Dog motorcycles Edenbridge.
Was ectually gona buy a VFR but ended up with the Benelli :D
Couldn't recist when i started looking at it and collected some information also on this forum.
Also found the prices very attractive in january when the pound was weak compared to danish kroner :clap:
There was some issues with the bike but Red dog has solved the major part of them, so only the clutch is causing me some worries.
All in all nothing has put me of this bike and i'm loving it more and more :D
Has had about 5-6 rides on it and getting more more used to the different feelings from other bikes (slipper clutch and very delicate trottle responce)
I still have my Pan European and a Transalp as well, so this is something very different.
I have a small problem though. :rolleyes:
Wenn the engine is hot, which by the way is accieved pretty quickly, and i stop it for a while i can start it back up right away, but when i start riding, it will stop whenever i close the trottle again.:(
Idle settles arround 1500 RPM when i start it up from cold.
Anybody got a clou.

Great to be here and hoping to have many laughs and great conversations as i've had already :rolling:

Cheers Per (Samuel)

·
Registered
417 Posts
Per,

I see you didnt waste any time customising with those carbon panels! - very nice by the way :D

As a new RS owner myself this lot very friendly and helpful. I came here via 6 years on a VFR and as you have the other bikes then you made right decision to get full sports this time round. I loved my VFR VTEC and was hard decision to sell and change... but not regretting it - yet!

Cant help with question but sure someone will be along soon.

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum m8

Is the bike new?

My m8 has the same problem with his Ducati 1098 and there changing his ECU to try and sort it, but maybe you just need the mapping done

There are various maps available, im sure someoen will be along soon to point you in that direction

Someone was told in MCN last week that it could be the engine breaking in the cylinders which would sort itself out after a while but again a new map may help

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess it has almost been run in as it had 3000 miles on it when i picked it up. The mapping is the "sport mapping" dont remember the whole number but sure the last digit was 5....................was it 305?
I run an open can with not very much restriction:D

Cheers Per

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Welcome to the forum there Sam .Have the TPS checked , wonder if the airbox sensor is also covered in dirt,airbox debris ?.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Hi Per, making sure your tick-over on a 'warm engine' is no less that 1300 RPM should help stop it cutting out.

·
1,841 Posts
was it 305?
6105 = maps for race can (RS)
6103 = maps for standard can (RS)
If you have not got a local dealer with an Axone then it is a good idea to buy a tuneboy. You can see data from the engine including tps voltage etc..
I would be lost without mine.
colin.
ps, the idle setting with both maps is actually 1200rpm (although the manual states 1300/1350rpm idle) I set mine at 1350rpm with tuneboy. It is normal for raised idle during warm up.
It is hard to try and guess your prob without axone or tuneboy connected

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have just put a new DNA filter in and at that occasion cleaned everything good.
What is this TPS:confused:.............nothing to do with PMS i hope:rolling:

About idle speed it's funny that i can ride the bike warm and for a long time with no problemo but when i stop for a while and start the engine up again warm the issue is there.
Must admit though that i didn't check the idle speed as i had enough to do keeping the engine running:D

Cheers Per

·
1,841 Posts
Hello again Per, the issue with the (intake air temp sensor in the airbox) is that when the engine is turned off while hot, then heat from the engine may increase the sensor heat higher than what the actual air that will be induced is. I have mine fitted in the duct near the front of the bike.
The sensor if hotter than the actual air may trim the fuel to weaken the mixture slightly ,which may cause your stalling.
colin

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Colin does this mean you are actually altering the position of the sensor ?
Is this a common procedure and is there a post that descripes this.

Cheers Per

·
1,841 Posts
Hi, yes it is common practice. It has been found that the sensor can get dirty in its original position and also it is believed to suffer from the false heat problem. In my case my sensor was moved by my dealer when they were trying to correct jerky running.(actually poor throttle setting and faulty clutch) They fitted it tied to the loom behind the fairing,but I moved it so it is in the right air duct (where mv agustas fit) as it is there to monitor the temp of the intake air and trim to suit, so not quite right inside fairing.
colin.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts