1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

just come in and found a little letter from the Wiltshire Police. :doh:

A Notice of Intended Prosecution

93 in a 60, it doesn't say it is a fixed penalty, any of you guys have any idea what I can expect and whether it is a court appearance etc.

Thanks
Dave

PS it wasn't even on my Nelli it was on my old BMW - typical

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
bin it and wait and see if your lucky they will send you a few more letters bin them again lets just say i know quite a few people who have done this and got away with it .my brother told them it was not me on the bike it was a guy having a test ride as he Was selling the bike he stuck to this and they dropped the case and just said next time get the persons name as he was to trusting in letting people test ride his bike he just agreed then laughed all the way home
but its up to you

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi Dave

Sorry to hear of your misfortune.

I believe in the UK in a 60mph limit, anything over 86mph is not treated as a fixed penalty but a summons. Likely penalty would be £45-£200 fine with 5-6 points.

Personally I would get yourself the best legal advice unless there are any Legal Eagles on this forum very in the know with UK Law.

I personally wouldn't throw it in the bin... I would try and stall and get the best lawyer on the case.

Sorry I could not have better news. Let us know how it pans out.

Good luck mate

Neil

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
How many days between the date of offence and the letter?
In law they have only 14 days MAX from date of offence to issue the NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution)
...bear in mind it should have been sent recorded delivery. That way they can prove when you recieved it. So if it's more than 14 days and or not recorded delivery/ not recieved(!!) then speak to a brief quickly.

Don't know about ferret's suggestions??
Could work, but they sound heavy to me, and if things went badly could be deep sh*t :(

Just my 2 penneth worth
[disclaimers apply :rolling: ]

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks

Hi Guys,
thanks for the advice, I am too law abiding a person to through it in the bin etc. :spank:
Already been on the Wiltshire Web Site, nice photo of my Bemmer, might ask for a copy.:)

The NIP was sent next day - hate efficent systems, even though I make my living designing them.

I can see some stalling coming up, though reckon I am in for a good :beat:

Will get my mitigation sorted out early etc

Cheers Anyway
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
have they offered photographic proof and also you could ask what device measured your speed as their has been controversy over wether legality of some devices . also calibration certificate to ensure its recently been approved for use. plus check on position of parking of said vehicle(if not a fixed camera site) as recently a number of issued tickets had to be revoked as some camera vehicles were illegally parked in roadworks . any info you can give us on helping get you off, A particular person i know;) got off a speeding ticket by photographing a very similar vehicle to one claimed to of been photographed and with subtle diferences was able to say the vehicle caught on film was a false plated vehicle that did not match the vehicle on dvla database (ie round headlamp when one in picture had square ) . good luck but of course i would not like to offer anything illegal to secure a not guilty verdict :rolleyes:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
forgot a few bits

hi Mr Angle,

Photo is good, actually wouldn't mind a copy.

It shows me pulling out prior to starting to overtake a car. I know the road well and remeber the van, parked in a layby. Not a lot of problems there and the web site tells me the camera and shows a copy of the certificate.

Reckon I am banged to rights here.

At least I am booked on a track day at Cadwell on Wednesday on the Nelli, mind you I will riding up the A1 at a very steady 50 / 60 / 70 especially pass any Gatsos or Vans !!!!

Time to hit the bottle
Cheers

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
bin it and wait and see if your lucky they will send you a few more letters bin them again lets just say i know quite a few people who have done this and got away with it .my brother told them it was not me on the bike it was a guy having a test ride as he Was selling the bike he stuck to this and they dropped the case and just said next time get the persons name as he was to trusting in letting people test ride his bike he just agreed then laughed all the way home
but its up to you
Sorry to say this, but we could always bury our heads in the sand and deny that we had any involvement, even more so; we could blame the police state we all seem to live in in this country nowadays!

On the other hand, we could admit our wrongdoings, 'fess' up and accept that on this occasion we got caught! Hard to accept, but at the end of the day we all pay our money and we all take our chances - if you get caught doing something wrong then have the decency (and more so the balls) to own up and face the consequences! By this I mean having the decency to stand up and be counted for our actions regardless of what the offence is!

Andy ( A little over 2 1/2 weeks to go until he hands in his warrant card!)

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My Morning After Rant

Strangley I wasn't particularly trying to avoid to 'fess' up, as I say I am a law abiding person by nature, my main vice is speed, hence why I do track days. I would reckon most bikers speed regularly, but at 46, professional, riding an old BMW on the road and a Nelli on road / track, I am not the local tearaway likely to mow down the bus queue.

I haven't ranted about it being a waste of police resources, especially as it was a "safety camera" or moaned about being caught. In reality I object to the ever increasing indescrimanate restrictions on freedom in the UK and Cameras are one of the obvious areas that are annoying. I have the luxery of working abroad a lot over the last 10 to 15 yrs, and reckon the UK has become one of the worst countries now for civil liberties in Europe (it would not be fair to compare it to China, Africa etc as those societies have different values). By way of example I found Shanghai one of the safest and honest places in the world, despite poverty and overcrowding. A friend from Sweden once said to me he could not believe the level of cameras CCTV and Speed cameras in the UK.

For Example
Approx 3 yrs ago I got stopped (1st time in 28yrs) 500m from home 38mph in a 30mph zone on a main road (A120) through Standon. I was polite to the policeman and him to me. It was obvious I wasn't a crazed speeder, but a responsible person. He told me to slow down and I did, point made no problem.

My 70 year old mother was done at approx the same time by a mobile camera, for approx the same speed. She never speeds. If a policeman had stopped her in her 1lt Metro they would have told her off and she would have felt terrible and that would be enough. Cameras are indescrimanate and of limited use on open roads.

My concern is points on the licence / ban, insurance costs etc etc. I am self employeed and live in a village. OK it would not stop me working as I tend to fly everywhere, but it would make life awkward and I don't want a criminal record.

OK it was a bit of a rant, but then again .............. why not it is after all a free country and differing opinions are what makes the world interesting

Strangly after saying I fly most places, next week I will ride / drive approx 1,000 miles, but they will be slow miles!! typical !

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm in a similar position, now the TnT is back on the road, I let a few mates take it out for a spin last week, one of them got clocked by a white speed van or went through a GATSO.
I've asked for a copy of the picture, but guess i'll have to say that I have no idea who was riding the bike.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
........ why not it is after all a free country.
Whatever gave you that idea. :confused: It seems the more money you have, the more free you are.. ;) So, throw enough money at it and you'll get off.. :D

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Strangley I wasn't particularly trying to avoid to 'fess' up, as I say I am a law abiding person by nature, my main vice is speed, hence why I do track days. I would reckon most bikers speed regularly, but at 46, professional, riding an old BMW on the road and a Nelli on road / track, I am not the local tearaway likely to mow down the bus queue.

I haven't ranted about it being a waste of police resources, especially as it was a "safety camera" or moaned about being caught. In reality I object to the ever increasing indescrimanate restrictions on freedom in the UK and Cameras are one of the obvious areas that are annoying. I have the luxery of working abroad a lot over the last 10 to 15 yrs, and reckon the UK has become one of the worst countries now for civil liberties in Europe (it would not be fair to compare it to China, Africa etc as those societies have different values). By way of example I found Shanghai one of the safest and honest places in the world, despite poverty and overcrowding. A friend from Sweden once said to me he could not believe the level of cameras CCTV and Speed cameras in the UK.

For Example
Approx 3 yrs ago I got stopped (1st time in 28yrs) 500m from home 38mph in a 30mph zone on a main road (A120) through Standon. I was polite to the policeman and him to me. It was obvious I wasn't a crazed speeder, but a responsible person. He told me to slow down and I did, point made no problem.

My 70 year old mother was done at approx the same time by a mobile camera, for approx the same speed. She never speeds. If a policeman had stopped her in her 1lt Metro they would have told her off and she would have felt terrible and that would be enough. Cameras are indescrimanate and of limited use on open roads.

My concern is points on the licence / ban, insurance costs etc etc. I am self employeed and live in a village. OK it would not stop me working as I tend to fly everywhere, but it would make life awkward and I don't want a criminal record.

OK it was a bit of a rant, but then again .............. why not it is after all a free country and differing opinions are what makes the world interesting

Strangly after saying I fly most places, next week I will ride / drive approx 1,000 miles, but they will be slow miles!! typical !
Calm down fella! I wasn't having a dig at you, or anyone individual for that matter. I was merely pointing to the comments made, which seem to be quite common amongst the biking fraternity.

Yes you are quite right, I do not know of any biker that has remained within speed limits, yet it always seems to be the first response to try to get off on a technicality. Strangely enough these same people seem to gripe and moan when someone who is as guilty as sin gets let off in court for more serious offences (eg; GBH, Murder, Terrorist bombings or shootings etc.)

The bottom line is, if people were a lot more honest in day to day issues the world would be a much better place.

For the record, I currently sport an SP30 on my licence, and have another 2 1/2 years for it to come off. I could have got away with it because the traffic copper wrote my registration down wrong, but I did the honourable thing and paid my dues when I got caught (I have gotten away with it enough times in the past to accept that on this occasion my luck ran out!)

Andy - Keeping the peace, or at least attempting to (something he has attempted to do for 22 years!)

·
Registered
864 Posts
Yes you are quite right, I do not know of any biker that has remained within speed limits, yet it always seems to be the first response to try to get off on a technicality. Strangely enough these same people seem to gripe and moan when someone who is as guilty as sin gets let off in court for more serious offences (eg; GBH, Murder, Terrorist bombings or shootings etc.)
C'mon you can't compare drifting over the speed limit on a bike that the rider owns, insures, taxes and is licensed to own with the serious crimes you mention.
The law in this country is an ass.. weighted towards the criminal, most of whom have convictions the length of their arm.. the law doesn't care about the victim.. my goodness they don't want to offend the criminal.. what about his human rights. That's why the sentences handed out for serious crimes are a joke.
Strangely enough, these so called 'safety cameras' are never to be seen outside playparks, schools are they?? They are always on straight sections of country road usually with no visibilit issues, turnings etc.. just the sort of place that motorists go for an overtake as in Lost Sould case.. usually as it is a Safe place to overtake. They are nothing more that yet another tax on the motorist. Rant over! :)

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
BLOODY HELL!!!!!, What have you started here Dave? Looks like you'll be having a nice little 'punch up' with someone before too long :rolling:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
Numbty time !

Sorry folks I'm with Neil on this one, we all know the Police have a monumental task trying to convict & keep hardened criminals at bay but lets face it most of us motorcyclists are Law abiding and i know if i could get away without a speeding ticket Legally, I would, thats why rich folk (i.e. Premiership footballers ! :rolling: ) employ good lawers just to get them off traffic offences (Well some of them anyway) But what we have to realise is motorists in general are victimised more than anyone in the country because we are Easy pickings ! Tax, Tax, Tax, and it fill someones coffers with loads of cash, not fixing roads etc like it ought to do. Most people get tickets on good open roads where safety is rarely an issue :D

Part one of Rant over ! :rolling:

Next please !:doh:

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Sorry folks I'm with Neil on this one, we all know the Police have a monumental task trying to convict & keep hardened criminals at bay but lets face it most of us motorcyclists are Law abiding and i know if i could get away without a speeding ticket Legally, I would, ........ Next please !:doh:
Well you certainly know how to contradict yourself! Since when has speeding been 'Law Abiding'?

Speeding is breaking the law - end of; you can't pick and choose which laws you wish to abide by and which ones you think you can flout, regardless of the seriousness, if you can't do the time, or pay the fine... don't do the crime!

Andy - still in a devil's advocate mood!

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
C'mon you can't compare drifting over the speed limit .....

So you are telling me that every time you go out for a ride you are merely 'drifting over the speed limit? Like I said I got a conviction (actually I have had two) for drifting over the speed limit (37 in a 30 and 41 in a 30), but are you trying to convince me that you have never seen triple figures on a public highway? If you can honestly say yes to that the I beg to ask the question why you choose to ride a performance motorcycle?

If you have seen triple figures, then my friend, that is not merely drifting over the speed limit and in the eyes of the law (regardless of how big an ass it is) is regarded as dangerous driving!

·
Registered
864 Posts
So you are telling me that every time you go out for a ride you are merely 'drifting over the speed limit? Like I said I got a conviction (actually I have had two) for drifting over the speed limit (37 in a 30 and 41 in a 30), but are you trying to convince me that you have never seen triple figures on a public highway? If you can honestly say yes to that the I beg to ask the question why you choose to ride a performance motorcycle?

If you have seen triple figures, then my friend, that is not merely drifting over the speed limit and in the eyes of the law (regardless of how big an ass it is) is regarded as dangerous driving!
You are absolutely right, I have seen triple figure speeds on many a bike many a time.. on quiet, open safe national speed limit roads, free of traffic and anything else where children are not playing / crossing the road etc. I notice that both your convictions were in 30mph areas??? Not very responsible eh? My biggest gripe would be with motorists on either 2 or 4 wheels speeding in built up 30mph zones. Probably the worst and most inconsiderate unsafe speeding offence. Any yes I stick religiously to 30 40 50 and 70 zones. In a national rural 60 Yes I will admit to riding over the limit.. but like I said, hardly the crime of the century and certainly farr less inconsiderate to speeding in a 30!

·
Registered
290 Posts
I find it bloody tiresome that people who brake the law can't take the punishment. I have in the last 10 years got myself into a position where through speeding I narly lost my licence. 9 points on 1 month to removal of 3 and got another 3. to make 12 for a month. only ofr a very nice judge and a good boss did I get off a ban.

Then i Thought why the hell give those burocratic tossers (polaticians and Police for that matter) the plesure of my hard earned dosh.

So here it is I now have a clean licence, Clean for some 3 years. I do speed occasionaly on the motorway when there is nothing around me. but no more than 90.

I do 1000 miles per week on average in a car and around 300 evry other weekend on the bike.

I'll be buggared if I am going to let the Tossers have my licence or my money plus of which I find riding at road lega speeds more enjoyable as I can see the countryside.

Rant over

Keep on Tre-Kin

·
Registered
864 Posts
I find it bloody tiresome that people who brake the law can't take the punishment. I have in the last 10 years got myself into a position where through speeding I narly lost my licence. 9 points on 1 month to removal of 3 and got another 3. to make 12 for a month. only ofr a very nice judge and a good boss did I get off a ban

Glenn I hear what you are saying, but you slightly contradict yourself. 12 points = a ban. You clearly fought your case in order to get off with a ban, your employer attending court and fighting your corner in order for you to keep your license but you also say you find it bloody tiresome that people who break the law can't take the punnishment? :confused:
But what you probably meant was the fact that you went to court and did not try to get off from that ?

Anyway, what I really want to say is, I think what someone said before.. I don't think there is anyone on this forum who has not broken a speed limit at any point in time. I for one have broken quite a few on the country roads on bikes so im far from perfect. Just be careful out there. If it's not a camera van round the corner it's a motorist driving towards you in Johnny's case, or debris in the road etc..
Ride safe everyone
Neil

1 - 20 of 101 Posts