Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there had my benelli tornado for a month now 6months old 1000 miles on clock is there anything i should look out for ie is there still problem with gearbox like early models ive had core plug go had to go back in shop electrics reset them selves when starting up trouble with neutral only get on downshift but what a bike i love it if someone can give me any answers to the above and more thanks

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
hi there had my benelli tornado for a month now 6months old 1000 miles on clock is there anything i should look out for ie is there still problem with gearbox like early models ive had core plug go had to go back in shop electrics reset them selves when starting up trouble with neutral only get on downshift but what a bike i love it if someone can give me any answers to the above and more thanks

Are you sure you have a 06 Benelli, or is it a 06 plate on an earlier machine?

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
might be early machine on an 06 plate how will i find out

If you check the chassis number it will tell you...
my bike is on a 05 plate (3 weeks short of a 55 plate) the chassis number (after the letters starts with a 00003.... this indicates the year as being 03, or so my good friend Lloyd tells me.

·
903 Posts
How old is your bike?

:p

That's right Andy, if you look at you frame number it should start off with 2 letters then 00003 then 1 letter then a further 6 numbers. This indicates that the bike was made in 2003. If you have 2 letters then 00004 then 1 letter then a further 6 numbers it means that the bike was made in 2004.

I don't believe that there was a 00005 bike made, but I could be wrong! :D

Hope this helps!:beat:

·
Registered
131 Posts
Benelli plates seem totally random to me, mines plated 04 but I know of 2 03 plated machines that are newer (higher chassis No) than mine ?? :confused:

·
903 Posts
Confused

:confused:

Max, it depends on when the dealer bought in the bike. One could have ordered a bike with a higher chassis no and sold it quickly. Your dealer could have stocked your bike earlier and did not sell it until sometime after.

For example, a lower chassis no bike bought in say June 03 but did not sell until august 04, the higher chassis no bike bought in June 03 and sold it in July 03.

Hope you understand what I am trying to tell you! :D

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I understand you Lloyd ..... and I'm pissed:rolling:

Al:clap:

·
Registered
131 Posts
I understand you as well :ele:
I sort of guessed that was how it was. 3X was the original dealer for mine and must have left it in a corner somewhere for a while. However I wouldnt put it past Benelli to have made a large batch at the begining then randomly select them to sell in no particular order. :rolling:

·
903 Posts
I understand

:eek:

I understand me too and I am drugged up to the eyeballs!:rolling: :rolling:
(Medication silly!)

The worse bit is, I cannot drink alcohol with the pills I am on!:bawl: (Not Pills lager either!):p

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
many thanks to you all found it its on a 0004 on vin plate not bad for may 06 reg bike must have been left in celler anyway is there anything i should check up on recalls etc? clutch merry xmas to you all and thanks again

·
Registered
164 Posts
Confused

I just bought one of these bikes (it's being shipped to me as we speak) and I am in the States. The title on this bike shows 2005 and following your logic it would seem it is probably earlier. The VIN is different, though as one would expect being a US model: ZBNB3TR875P100031.

So the question is - is this an '03? If so, do I need to check for the 6mm gear, the dodgy coolant plugs, et al?

Dean

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Your VIN?

I just bought one of these bikes (it's being shipped to me as we speak) and I am in the States. The title on this bike shows 2005 and following your logic it would seem it is probably earlier. The VIN is different, though as one would expect being a US model: ZBNB3TR875P100031.

So the question is - is this an '03? If so, do I need to check for the 6mm gear, the dodgy coolant plugs, et al?

Dean
Hey Dean, where in the US are you? I am in Oakland, CA, my VIN is ZBNB3TRB15P100011, and mine is definitely an '05 model, got it in October 2005. Are you 100% sure they haven't misread the "875" part? Might it might be "B15"? Also, you can see the date of manufacture on the frame plate that has the VIN and other info on it, so check that. I've got over 3000 miles on mine with no problems with the coolant plug or anything else (other than the resetting clocks issue). If it weren't for my broken leg :( I'd probably have closer to 12,000 miles on it by now; I did 3000 miles in about 2 months...

mark

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in CT. I bought the bike off ebay and it'll be delivered tomorrow, I plan on looking at the build plate then. As for the VIN, the 875 is correct - I have the title and a pic of the VIN on the headstock. Glad to hear things are going well with your bike - I am hoping for the same...

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Re: Your VIN?

I'm in CT. I bought the bike off ebay and it'll be delivered tomorrow, I plan on looking at the build plate then.
Who was the eBay seller? Was it GP Star (Arthaworks)? I bought mine from them direct, as I know the owner through my racing.

·
Registered
164 Posts
It was Peak Performance Motorcycles. They were very good to deal with.

By the way, who is administering your warranty? I was told they are doing only parts as there are few dealers, have you had any experience with this?

Thanks,
Dean

·
5,967 Posts
VIN Explanation

At the risk of flogging a dead horse, here's how to read a Vehicle Identification Number.
17 characters in length
1-3: Country code/Manufacturer
--- eg. ZBN is Italy/Benelli
4-8: Model
--- eg. TB000 is Tornado
--- eg. B3TR8 (or B?) is also Tornado, judging by Dean & Mark's numbers
9: check digit - ignore it
10: Assembly Year
--- eg. 3 is 2003 (mine)
--- eg. 5 is 2005 (Mark & Dean)
11. Assembly Plant
--- eg. P is Pesaro
12-17: Serial Number

You can find an online calculator HERE

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Warranty

By the way, who is administering your warranty? I was told they are doing only parts as there are few dealers, have you had any experience with this?
My warranty is being administered by GP Star and Evolucione Cyclesports, both down in Southern CA. What they provide is parts only as well, but there are now 2 new Benelli dealers in my area - Munroe Motors in San Francisco, and Suzuki of Oakland. I know both dealers well, and they will definitely provide me all the support I need, luckily none needed so far!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Thanks for the information. All of you were correct - I was reading the VIN wrong: it's a B, not an 8. Looks like I have an 05 though, I will verify tomorrow when the goods arrive!!

Engenia, that's a good site you have there, loads of help. As for your connector, I think you are looking for a molex part. Looks like a mini-fit (they are just about everywhere), see the following web page, about halfway down:

http://www.action-electronics.com/molex.htm

You can source them through Newark, RS Electronics, etc though be warned, there may be a minimum buy and it won't be small...

Dean

1 - 20 of 31 Posts