Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone had a quirky fuel gauge ?

Hi all,

Up until now my fuel gauge has been rock reliable. It displays full until the trip shows 50kms, then it declines steadily down to empty.

But I filled up a couple of days ago and again today and both times it been behaving differently. Instead of showing full, it's been bouncing up and down second by second from full to about 2/3rds full from the moment I ride out of the servo. It keeps jumping around by 2-3 bars until around the 50-60kms mark when it seems to go back to the expected decline down to empty.

I'm figuring that something is a bit stuck somewhere. I'll have to pull out the workshop manual and see if I can figure it out.

Anyone else encountered this ?

ciao
Derek

·
5,929 Posts
... Instead of showing full, it's been bouncing up and down second by second from full to about 2/3rds full from the moment I ride out of the servo. It keeps jumping around by 2-3 bars until around the 50-60kms mark when it seems to go back to the expected decline down to empty....
My Tornado's been doing the same thing for the last few months. There have been others as well, reported on the forum. I suspect the float slide is sticky, but haven't bothered opening it up yet. Easy to do, just need an hour or so.
cheers
Errol

·
Banned
6 Posts
New TnT Sport w/ quirky fuel gauge

I just purchased my TnT this past weekend, and although it has <200 miles on the odo, the fuel gauge is reading 2 bars and showing the "Need Fuel" light even when the tank is brimming with fuel.

I'm guessing it's a sticky float, but wanted to get some advice if possible on how to repair it myself. I have the service dvd, in case it's useful here.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
My 1130 Tornado warning light comes on after 55 miles, regular as clockwork.
Usually have 4 or 5 bars left showing on guage as well :mad:

Have filled her up at 1 bar left showing and put in 11.......yes 11 litres of fuel
:doh: or almost 3/5 of a tank :confused:

How the hell are you to work out when to actually put any fuel in? :confused:

Most I have put in was 16.35 litres :eek: (bit too close to the bone!), but that was after I had ridden a further 20 miles or so on AFTER the last bar disappeared :eek: and that was with 135 miles showing on the trip meter :blur:

Need to ask the question.....is the 5 litre reserve tank INCLUDED in the claimed 17.5 litre tank capacity?....must be surely? :confused:

·
5,929 Posts
I just purchased my TnT this past weekend, and although it has <200 miles on the odo, the fuel gauge is reading 2 bars and showing the "Need Fuel" light even when the tank is brimming with fuel.

I'm guessing it's a sticky float, but wanted to get some advice if possible on how to repair it myself.
It should be the same setup as the Tornado. Have a look here for a description

·
5,929 Posts
...Have filled her up at 1 bar left showing and put in 11.......yes 11 litres of fuel
:doh: or almost 3/5 of a tank :confused:
How the hell are you to work out when to actually put any fuel in? :confused:
I've had an idea for ditching the resistive sender in my Tornado for a while, for a capacitive sensor. Maybe it's time to pursue it a little further?

·
Banned
6 Posts
It should be the same setup as the Tornado. Have a look here for a description
Wow Errol,

Thank you for the response and the incredible description on your site. I'll see what I can do this weekend.

On a possibly (un)related note, I took the bike for a 75 mile ride last night: before starting off I filled up after only going 56 miles and it took 3.4 gallons giving me an average 16.4 MPG!!! (something like 14.3 L/100km) :bawl: This had me a bit worried... but planned my ride accordingly. So after the 75 mi trip, i filled up again getting 20.8 mpg, a 30% increase...and it was a 'spirited' ride. I'm glad it's improving, but it doesn't seem spot on. I thought it was running absurdly rich to start (could smell fuel and the plate holder has fuel spots on it) so will this eventually solve itself as the rings seat, etc. etc.?

Any suggestions/advice would be welcome. Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Holy shit that fuel guage electronics description thing is well too complicated for me to understand. :doh: :doh:

My guage is reliably unreliable.it was good when I got it 12 months ago but now it drops really fast even though there is plenty of fuel in. Having said that I have come to understand it's nuances as will you I should imagine. Just make sure you set the trip everytime you fill up and you will be fine. Maybe:rolling: :rolling:

I have found over this last year that when commuting on my TNT (6 miles to work) I get about 80 miles to a tank and then I will run out. If I go on a mission and have a really good ride doing what i want then I will get 100/120 out of my tank. There is a message there somewhere for me to pick up on. I think I will ignore it though cos I love riding to work.

·
5,929 Posts
If you start the ride with the temp below 80C, the ECU will still be in the warmup phase, and running even richer than normal. Add lots of acceleration brake gear change segments & the poor thing will struggle with economy.

You'll improve it if you don't use the brakes, limit acceleration, pre-emp traffic light changes to red, ie. ride with the tin-tops, or behind them.:confused: :confused: :confused: Even better, leave it in the shed & walk :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Nah. Bad idea.:doh:
Best to forget about economy around town, and just have fun.
(In the words of Admiral Faragut, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead")

·
2004 TNT Owner
1,670 Posts
I have found over this last year that when commuting on my TNT (6 miles to work) I get about 80 miles to a tank and then I will run out. If I go on a mission and have a really good ride doing what i want then I will get 100/120 out of my tank. There is a message there somewhere for me to pick up on. I think I will ignore it though cos I love riding to work.
Spikey,
was your message you decided to ignore: to get a pushbike and cycle the 6 miles to work?:rolling:
Cheers.

·
2004 TNT Owner
1,670 Posts
(In the words of Admiral Faragut, "Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead")
Errol,
though he said 'torpedoes', what he meant was 'tethered mines':
as they didn't have torpedoes in 1864.:D
just another bit of useless trivia from a History teacher!:ele:
Cheers.
ps Errol, you're a mine of benellisimo information!:clap:

·
Registered
48 Posts

I'm guessing it's a sticky float, but wanted to get some advice if possible on how to repair it myself. I have the service dvd, in case it's useful here.

Thanks in advance.
Welcome! Where in Cali are you? I am in Redondo Beach.

I got my '07 new in August of last year. Last time out, I noticed the fuel gauge was stuck after 1,300 miles of ownership. The fuel indicator would still go down, but after fill up, the indicator stayed the same. I guess this problem is common and will get it fixed under warranty.

The bike gets consistently 32 mpg. I always plan my trip to fill up every 100 miles and not to rely on the gauge.

·
Banned
6 Posts
'07 TnT Sport Update

Sorry it's taken me so long to post back! I've got almost 700 miles on it now, and it's had the first service done at Munroe Motors in San Francisco, CA.

I've been keeping track of the mileage, and the bike is averaging 22-25 mpg now. The mechanic (as well as I) noticed how much fuel it was spitting at idle, but said he's rather have it too rich than too lean (I'm inclined to agree). Other than that it runs very well, as long as the engine is warm. There is some hesitation above 6000 rpm, but after a while it will go away and run like a dream.

I'm in Northern California by the way, so if anyone else is up here let me know!

My fuel gauge sensor is on order...but i'm not holding my breath for a quick delivery!

Thanks for all the advice so far.

·
5,929 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Rich....

I've been keeping track of the mileage, and the bike is averaging 22-25 mpg now. The mechanic (as well as I) noticed how much fuel it was spitting at idle, but said he's rather have it too rich than too lean (I'm inclined to agree). .
No excuse for runnign rich, sort it out ASAP

1 - 20 of 24 Posts