Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Go for it, it looks great and on the wrong side of the pond for me to be interested. :(

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
One of these was tested in the July 2008 edition of 'The Classic MotorCycle' magazine. The tester had never come across one before, and it came through with flying colours. Strong, powerful, oil-tight engine, good quality suspension, Marzocchi forks and Ceriani rear shocks. Good, lithe handling, huge, efficient front drum brake, bullet-proof feel, and loads of torque from its (claimed) 57bhp engine, which he described as 'like a good Bonnie or Commando, but oh so much stronger'. The factory claimed 117mph top end.
The engine is ultra short stroke for its time, 84x58mm bore and stroke, because the designer, Piero Prampolini had only ever built race engines! He went on to build the Benelli Sei 6 cylinder motor - another Benelli classic.
The particular one being tested was for sale by a dealer at £3200; unrestored; and another was for sale around the same time at similar money.
It would be a really good buy at the right price, I reckon, so go and buy it, and report back on first impressions in due course!:clap: :D .
Cheers.
Ian

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
.... or you could make me an offer for my Benelli Sei 900 which has less than 500 genuine miles on the clock and is like new.

You never know, I might just be tempted to let it go if the price was right ;)

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
.... or you could make me an offer for my Benelli Sei 900 which has less than 500 genuine miles on the clock and is like new.

You never know, I might just be tempted to let it go if the price was right ;)

Laurence - if I remember rightly, in about 1981, Motorcycle City were flogging those off for £1999 - how about I give you what you paid for it? :rolling: :rolling: :clap:
Cheers
Ian

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Errrm, that'll be a NO then Ian :rolling:......... but there was one being advertised recently in the Classic Motorcycles mag. with more miles than mine for £8k,

don't know if it sold though

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Errrm, that'll be a NO then Ian :rolling:......... but there was one being advertised recently in the Classic Motorcycles mag. with more miles that mine for £8k,

don't know if it sold though
Hmmm - sounds like you made a good investment there, then, Laurence :D.
I seem to remember that Motorcycle City bought up all remaining Benelli stocks at the time, including, if I remember rightly, the 254cc 4 cylinder, and a 654cc likewise. Around the same time, they bought remaining stocks of the Honda CBX6 F2, as they weren't selling very well, and knocking them out at 2K 'ish. If only I'd had some spare cash and a large lock-up...:doh:
Cheers!
Ian

1 - 7 of 7 Posts