Benelli Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took my Tornado for a ride last week and got stuck in traffic.
It was very hot and the temp kept rising.(Both me and the bike:confused: )
When the needle got over the left instrument-screw and the fans still didnt go on I turned the bike off.Guess it was like C105`.....

Whats normal temp ON INSTRUMENT when fans go on??

Thank you guys

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
I thought you meant that you parked your bike somewhere and people (fans) never gathered round to google in awe. :rolling:

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have notice that too but just wait and see...some day i become a rockstar im sure....:rolling:

I know the fans (cooling ones) are supposed too start at C98 but maybe the instrument indicates +/- something......

No big deal !
I check it out a rainy day!!!:p

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
check

I have notice that too but just wait and see...some day i become a rockstar im sure....:rolling:

I know the fans (cooling ones) are supposed too start at C98 but maybe the instrument indicates +/- something......

No big deal !
I check it out a rainy day!!!:p
The bike has a fuse for the fans (if I am not mistaken) check to see that it is intact, also check whether temp sensor works.

Could be dodgy instrument panel. Also have you performed the correct method of bleeding and refilling coolant (check Engenia's website)

cheers

·
3,085 Posts
yep

the fuse is under the pillion seat up near the stop light in a little black box, the fan fuse is 15Amps rated, should be a blue one, A fan in my tornado had a bearing seize and the motor fuse, this caused the fuse to blow and the bike overheated big time !
Scored some replacement RS fans off ebay for 80 quid for the pair :), fit them tonight. the price for a new pair is about 180 to 190 Euro's, Maniac can supply them or Bennetts in the UK.

·
5,934 Posts
A fan in my tornado had a bearing seize and the motor fuse, this caused the fuse to blow and the bike overheated big time !
Given Nathan's experience, it wouldn't be a bad idea installing separate fuses for each fan. (Add it to my TODO list) That way, if a fan siezes, it's fuse will blow before the motor fuses, AND, the other fan will still operate.

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
I had a fuse go recently but fortuntely they had not seized but no explanation as to why it went but easily sorted and mine chime in at 95 degrees.

·
1,841 Posts
Angus and Pierre, I know I have said this before,but my bike had a loose wire from the ecu on the relay feed under the seat. it made my fans come on randomly when it was calling for fans, but also if it is loose it could rapidly turn fan on and off and cause the fuse to blow ?
PS my RS is on the road again after finding clutch fault etc.. :) :clap: it is so good now i can not believe it !:) Big thanks to Lloyd :bow: We went for a nice 70 mile spin on tuesday and even though it peed down I did not give a monkeys !

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
yep you did colin,no wiring issues with mine just having an italian day ! , out in the rain Mamma Mia sacre bleu Tornado out in Rain Stop Press :rolling: . cant say anything rode mine home from having come back from my usual Ashford,Dover,Bromley and Gravesend etc truck duties. mines hiccuped twice today which i think is down to the smaller mesh i fitted and i want to make to get time to change to larger gauge version i have .

·
5,934 Posts
..had a loose wire from the ecu on the relay feed under the seat. it made my fans come on randomly when it was calling for fans, but also if it is loose it could rapidly turn fan on and off and cause the fuse to blow ?
A dc motor has a high stall/starting current. 2 motors coming on together will double that current, so the main fuse has to be rated to survive it - at least for a few seconds. The motor windings are similarly rated. If well designed, they should withstand a permanent stall, and the fuse should blow after 10's of seconds.

Given Nathan's experience, the fans are not designed to withstand a permanent stall, as it fried before the fuse did.

If the fans are rapidly switched on & off, the starting current will be lower if the fans are still turning when the power is re-applied.

So it depends on the actual rate of switching. There is a sweet spot where the average starting current is maximised, and that point will do the most damage to the windings through self heating, and likely blow the fuse.

·
Unofficial Factory Tester
166 Posts
new bike lol

Given Nathan's experience, it wouldn't be a bad idea installing separate fuses for each fan. (Add it to my TODO list) That way, if a fan siezes, it's fuse will blow before the motor fuses, AND, the other fan will still operate.

Engenia,

By the time you finish, it will be a totally new bike:rolling:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think this is funny!:)
How come guys of different age,from different countrys like cooloing fans so much:confused:
Could it be they are fitted to a BIKE called Benelli?
I think we got the answer.....:clap:

What a response,really nice!
Thanks everyone!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts