Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope someone can help- bike is recent purchase- had been fiddled with by a workshop who couldn't sort a running issue with it. has Athena ECUA-1 fitted- anyone with experience out there with what's the go re running diagnostics with this ECU to sort the problem? Fuel side seems to work but no spark. I believe attempts were made to start with a flat battery. Any program that supports this ECU? What cables are needed etc. Thanks in advance for assistance. Called local dealers who seem next to useless as not a "current " model.

·
Registered
890 Posts
There are 2 types of cable for benelli Tre, sagem and walbro so you need to buy the correct one. The lead as standard is a 9 way serial so if you have usb you will need a converter. Stingerwolf on here used to sell them or Lonelec on eBay. Software wise windows version was free and android app was about £12. Try swapping the relays under the seat it may be as simple as that. But there have been issues with blown ecu. Or just a wiring issue. If you don’t have any warnings on dash like k then tuneecu might not help(but is still worth having)

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I’m afraid to say the athena ecu doesn’t support tune ecu software . I’ve seen other posts about problems with them too .
if you can get hold of a walbro ecu then it can be re programmed .
my old walbro ecu died and wouldn’t fire the plugs or inject fuel after a starter motor brushes failed

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I’m afraid to say the athena ecu doesn’t support tune ecu software . I’ve seen other posts about problems with them too .
if you can get hold of a walbro ecu then it can be re programmed .
my old walbro ecu died and wouldn’t fire the plugs or inject fuel after a starter motor brushes failed
yes it seems the ECU's for this bike are a pain! I 've owned Ducati and BMW twins for 50 years and never had such issues.The diagnostic connectoers appear to be the same for the Walbro and Sagem ECUs- 6 and 2 pin AMP type so your suggestion to repalce with Walbro if it proves to be faulty is probably very sound idea. When I first got it home it started and revved a few times then stopped = and hasn't shown any sign of wanting to fire since. Is thuis a common sign of something simple or catastrophe?.Lol. Welcome all suggestions and if anyone has a wiring diagram they could send me I would be most appreciative. It may be a reaction to attempts by workshop to start with low voltage battery?

Cheers to all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
You could try cleaning the crank sensor connections .
And maybe bypass or clean the side stand switch internals .(I had this issue drive me nuts !)

I agree the test procedures will help enormously to get to the exact fault if your patient and good with a tester and a 12 volt bulb soldered to loose wires for visual circuit continuity .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts