Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings my Benelli friends! I had my bone graft surgery last Thursday (on my freakin birthday :( ) and then stayed with friends until yesterday afternoon. I'm home now, spending most of my time lying on the couch with ice on the leg. My hip, where they took bone marrow out for the graft, looks like someone hit it with a sledgehammer :eek That's been where most of the pain is, the leg isn't too bad. I weaned myself off the pain meds starting this morning, and so far, I'm feeling okay. I'll see the surgeon next Monday to have the cast removed and check all the incisions to make sure they're healing up okay. I think they'll do some x-rays to see how the grafts are shaping up, although it will be several weeks before we know if the bone is going to start growing in the grafted areas.
I never imagined a 35mph get-off could put me down for this long - 18 weeks so far and still several to go. :rolleyes

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Belated Happy Birthday

Hi Mark,

Sorry to hear that it had to come to a bone graft. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you in the hope that it'll all go well on Monday when you get that 'stookie' off.

Keep yer chin up matey

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Belated Happy Birthday

Thanks Laurence! I'm sure hoping this graft works and my leg heals up completely. Enough is enough!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Man, I feel for you Mark. I really do. You must be feeling like crap just now but try to hang on in there buddy. I went out today with the helmet cam to make a little video and almost came a cropper trying to overtake a couple of cars:eek: I was inches away from becoming 'road pizza' I can tell you:eek My fault for trying to show off.
Anyway, if the weather's nice tomorrow then I'll nip back out on the bike and see if I can record a little something to post on here. Hopefully, it'll make you feel less 'bike sick';)

Take care Mark

All the best

Al|I

Psst .... Laurence.

You think Mark knows what a 'stookie' is?:lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks much Al, damn buddy, glad you didn't end up 'road pizza'! The last thing we need here is another casualty! :(

I've gotten lots of calls from friends who tell me they're amazed at how well I've handled this ordeal and kept my spirits up. Guess I'm stronger than I realized :D

I'd love to see a little helmet cam action, definitely post that for us to enjoy!

Oh, and I figured a stookie is slang for a cast, and I was right - believe it or not, I got this from Google:

stookie
&nbsp &nbsp &nbsp &nbsp
stook·ie (plural stook·ies)

noun Scotland
Definition:

1. plaster cast: a plaster cast on a broken limb

2. sculpture
Same as statue
stood there like a stookie

[Late 18th century. Alteration of stucco]

cheers!
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: Stookie

Now you've really got him 'scunnered' Laurence:rollin

Let's send him an Oor Wullie and Broons annual to see how he gets on with that:lol

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Hmm, "long may my chimney smoke" ???
And Al, it'll take more than this to get me all scunnered!!!!

:lol :b :p :eek

One of my funniest "language barrier" experiences happened several years ago at work. One of my co-workers was Chinese and spoke fairly broken English; on top of that he had a speech impediment so it was really difficult to suss out what he was saying. We had a Scot visiting from our office in Glasgow, and he was trying to talk with this Chinese guy. It was the most hopeless thing I've ever seen, I ended up translating between the two! :rollin

cheers -
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Laurence, let's buy this man a kilt for his birthday as he's halfway there already:rollin

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Kilt

Don't know about a kilt Al but I'll see what I can do about the Broons and the Oor Wullie annuals....as he's got plenty of time to 'read' them for the next wee while when his leg heals.

Laurence

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A new stookie

Dammit, I thought today I was going to be rid of it and be put back in my trusty boot, but noooooo, now I have a new full-on fiberglass cast! They decided they want my leg totally immobilized while the bone graft settles in. I'll be in this one for 4 weeks minimum. :(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Injuries

Ha! your cast looks identical to mine, I'm hoping it comes off in a couple of days.

I broke the Tibia & Fibula and riddled the lower knee joint with multiple cracks under my titanium knee joint. It only happened 3 weeks ago but the Tibia has been pinned so I am hoping for a quick healing process.

Other funny (?) injury, I tore the Bicep muscle from my arm, just had it stiched back down, not sure how long that will take to heal.... 2 months I expect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Injuries

Hey Mark! You should have told them that the cast has to be in Benelli green or else! Why is it blue anyway? When I fractured my wrist when I was just a nipper it was always white with no bandages on the outside. Now that's when stookies where stookies:rollin

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Actually, this cast is fiberglass, so what you see is fiberglass fabric. It's pretty amazing to watch them make it. They put this stretchy fabric sleeve on my leg, then wrapped it in cotton batting, then took these rolls of the fiberglass, dipped them in cold water, and unrolled them around my leg. It heats up briefly, then hardens, all in just a matter of minutes.
They did ask me what color I wanted, but Benelli green wasn't a choice for some odd reason, so I picked my old university color. At least I didn't get pink! :lol

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I broke the Tibia & Fibula and riddled the lower knee joint with multiple cracks under my titanium knee joint. It only happened 3 weeks ago but the Tibia has been pinned so I am hoping for a quick healing process.
Ouch!!! Sorry to hear of your injury. How bad were your tib/fib breaks? Were they displaced? Mine were so bad the surgeon told me I was lucky to still have my leg....

I know someone who tore his biceps muscle and it took a couple of months to heal up. Not a fun injury, especially on top of a broken leg!

Heal fast Johnny!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Tib & Fib

The Tibia was completely smashed apart and did not align anymore, since aligned and inflatable pin inserted, Fibula torn from the knee damaging the nerves going to the foot (toes don't work anymore), held in place by fibreglass cast now.

Thanks for the well wishes, if the cast comes off this week, I am going to try and race my GSXR1000 in the Superbike support race at Phillip Island MotoGP in two weeks (shhhh don't tell anyone, parents & doc will kill me ;) )

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Tib & Fib

Wow, sounds nasty! At least they were able to get the tib back in alignment. Mine wasn't possible, but they got the length right so at least my legs are still the same length. I have some issues with my toes too, they stay curled down all the time and I can't straighten them no matter how hard I try - the muscles don't quite work right any more.

You're pretty bold to try to race so soon after the injury! I decided to put my racing on hold until I get all the hardware taken out of my leg. If you race, best of luck and be extra-careful out there!

cheers -
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Watch yourself out there big fella

If you race, best of luck and be extra-careful out there!
My thoughts exactly|I I hope that you've thought about this seriously Johhny O.
FFS ..... don't risk it if you think you could make things worse:eek |I

Al;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Kilt

Don't know about a kilt Al but I'll see what I can do about the Broons and the Oor Wullie annuals....as he's got plenty of time to 'read' them for the next wee while when his leg heals.
Hey Laurence, received my very own copy of "The Broons" and the translating guide in the post! Thanks so much for your generosity! It takes me a bit to read with all the looking up words, but it's fun. When I've gotten a little more proficient I'll try posting something and see if it makes sense :lol

cheers!
mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The 'Broons'

Hi Mark,

Glad to hear they arrived OK and that your having fun with them.

A lot of the words in the translator is based on 'old Scots' language as opposed to Scots slang, which is what you will find in 'The Broons', so you might still struggle but If you are stuck for any of the words let me know.

I'll be looking forward to your next post in your best 'Scots':rollin

Laurence

1 - 20 of 20 Posts