Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to change the Balance Shaft Cover on my TRE today. However, I didn't reaslise that I would lose oil when I took the cover off and also didn't realise that I would need a replacement gasket for the cover. :bawl: You would have thought MOTOGB would advised this. :doh:

When I took the fairings off what a surpise i had. Those lower fairings are they made out of Jelly or rubber? I've never seen anything like it... :)

Anyway, I now need some oil, ive been told they run on 10 60 semi, is this correct ?

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
10w 50 is what is recommended

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Reddog are telling me 10w60 semi :mad:

Problem is I now dont have a clue whats in the bike...

Oil isnt really my thing, the bike has only done 350 miles which means I'll worry about putting the wrong oil in it ... :rolling:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what should i put in it? :confused: Does it mean im going to have to do a complete oil change? Just need to top it up till it gets its first service

·
1,841 Posts
From manual
Benelli suggests to use a fully synthetic
engine oil having characteristics equal or better than the ones prescribed in the following standards:
• API SJ
• ACEA A3
• JASO - MA CC MC G4
There is no need to drain the remaining oil,just top up with an oil that meets the standards above.The manual states 15/50 thats what I would use.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,

Reddog are saying that they have put 10w 60 semi in it.

So im confused of what can be mixed ....

I will ring them again as it doesnt sound right to me...

·
1,841 Posts
Hi the 10/60 will be fine,it is just a wider heat range. put simply the 10 means it acts like a 10 weight when cold,ie it gets around the engine quickly. The 60 means it acts like a 60 weight when hot, ie it protects the same as a straight 60w.You can mix mineral,semi or syn.
colin..

·
Registered
131 Posts
I was using 10W40 castrol but changed a couple of weeks ago to 15W50 mobil 1 for motorcycles. I've used the bike a bit now and can get neutral much better than before, no more neutral whilst coasting to a stop. the engine seems quieter than before (still like a bag of spannners though)

·
903 Posts
Hi the 10/60 will be fine,it is just a wider heat range. put simply the 10 means it acts like a 10 weight when cold,ie it gets around the engine quickly. The 60 means it acts like a 60 weight when hot, ie it protects the same as a straight 60w.You can mix mineral,semi or syn.
colin..
As Colin has quoted, there is absolutly nothing wrong with using 10/60 in your Nelli. We use it all the time in all the Benelli's we service.

·
903 Posts
colin..
As Colin has quoted, there is absolutly nothing wrong with using 10/60 in your Nelli. I use it all the time in all the Benelli's I service and have never had any ill effects..

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
As Colin has quoted, there is absolutly nothing wrong with using 10/60 in your Nelli. I use it all the time in all the Benelli's I service and have never had any ill effects..
Hi Lloyd,

I can't find a semi synthetic 10w 60 oil.

My M3 uses the same oil but its fully synthetic...

Can you advise on the manufacturer of the oil you use?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts