Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Oh! What a bloody week.

Posted a thread earlier on re problems with neutral light staying on .... well .... warranty claim ensued & went in Monday to be done.

Problems started .... technician had to half strip o/s of bike then old switch was VERY hard to remove. Whilst doing this the technician 'dragged-the-thread' on the casing .... well aware it's not the fault of the technician & it could have happened to anyone! Spent next hour & half trying ( without success + a few harsh words ! LOL !) to re-fit new switch but in the end, thread in the casing is well & truly knackered !!!!

Came to tell me the bad news so had to catch the train back home .... as I work nights this proved to be a long day !!

Phoned up today & told the even badder news .... engine has to come out & will try to re - thread or worse still, a new casing has to be fitted !!!!

Not a happy chappy !!

So .... down to Brian & crew at Benelli UK to come to the rescue & sort this problem out ... well aware these things happen & glad it's not summer riding weather or really would be p***ed off !!

Moral of this story is ... if you have neutral light problems staying on .... think very long & hard about sorting it out .... if not under warranty it could be very, very expensive !!!

Will keep you all updated on progress from Benelli UK to see how long my bike, with only 2400 miles on !!! , takes to put right !!!

Tata Mark

·
150 Posts
Not sure but ...

Oh! What a bloody week.

Posted a thread earlier on re problems with neutral light staying on .... well .... warranty claim ensued & went in Monday to be done.

Problems started .... mechanic had to half strip o/s of bike then old switch was VERY hard to remove. Whilst doing this the mechanic 'dragged-the-thread' on the casing. Spent next hour & half trying ( without success ) to re-fit new switch but in the end, thread in the casing is well & truly knackered !!!!

Came to tell me the bad news so had to catch the train back home .... as I work nights this proved to be a long day !!

Phoned up today & told the even badder news .... engine has to come out & will try to re - thread or worse still, a new casing has to be fitted !!!!

Not a happy chappy !!

So .... down to Brian & crew at Benelli UK to come to the rescue & sort this problem out ... well aware these things happen & glad it's not summer riding weather or really would be p***ed off !!

Moral of this story is ... if you have neutral light problems staying on .... think very long & hard about sorting it out .... if not under warranty it could be very, very expensive !!!

Will keep you all updated on progress from Benelli UK to see how long my bike, with only 2400 miles on !!! , takes to put right !!!

Tata Mark
Can you fix it with Helicoil ?

W: Pekka

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
Oh! What a bloody week.

Tata Mark
Hope they get it sorted. Really frustrating when a mechanic knackers something on your bike.

Mine's in the shop right now getting its 6750 mile service from my dealership, who had never even seen a 900Tre in person. I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

cheers -
another Mark

·
Registered
380 Posts
Legal point of view

You took your bikr to be fixed by a compitent mechanic. If he failed then the Co is vecariously liable foe his acts and omitions. I would demand loan bike to be provided and I would not accept the heli-coil as it will never be as good as when delivered for the service. :( :mad:

I would also seek compensation for loss of enjoyment of bike, ticket price back home taxi, request details of the garage insurance and send the bike to Russ at Bennets so the job is correctly done.:bawl: :bawl:

These are your legal rights, if the garage fixed your bike with a repair and then the switch pops out for eg then its to late to ask for a new casting.

Send me PM if you wish some more advice Its my job !! :bow:

·
5,934 Posts
That switch is a bitch to get out. Took me ages to come up with a way to do it, and then I had to cut the wire. It's a bodge job (the switch). Looks like it was put together in a primary school playground.

Crossing threads is really unforgiveable though, especially by a professional. You should demand a loaner. I'm surprised they didn't offer you one.

A helicoil will be better than new though, if done properly. It's done as a standard procedure on some space rated equipment. If you think about it - it's a steel thread in an aluminum alloy. It's got to be stronger.
The engine has to come out though. No other way of getting at it properly.

Good luck mate. Demand you rights.
cheers
Errol

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks all for the encouraging replies !

Not upto the 'threatening legal action' just yet. I have to be fair & give both parties a go to rectify this annoying problem.:bawl:

Make no bones about this, my bike has done less than 2500 miles from new ( March 06 ) & there is not a scratch on the bike, I am a fair weather biker & 'pose' with the bike so it is kept A1 always ... like new is the general comment.:doh: .... 100% sure it will come back this way just hate all the work involved for such a small, stupid switch !

So .... will keep you informed of progress .... all down to Benelli UK customer care now as the garage has it's hand tied until permission is given on what to do next!

With the NEC / London bike show & possible new sales of Benelli's .... the last thing they will want is potential buyers reading this in a months time with still no positive outcome .... time will tell .... time will tell !!!!;)

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:ele:

Well ....result already !

Phone call from garage this afternoon... Benelli Uk have given permission to do whatever is required to repair bike ( think a helicoli type system will be used ! ) so engine's coming out next week :p ....

Considering they have been busy at the show etc, pleased so far with customer service. :clap:

Will keep you all informed of progress :D

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All sorted now. :ele:

Many thanks to all involved ( bike shop, Benelli Uk :clap: ) took just over a week ... so no complaining here.:bow:
If this is the sort of care we can expect here in the Uk .... guess a 1130 might be considered when changing bike .... we shall see.

TaTa

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
All sorted now. :ele:

Many thanks to all involved ( bike shop, Benelli Uk :clap: ) took just over a week ... so no complaining here.:bow:
If this is the sort of care we can expect here in the Uk .... guess a 1130 might be considered when changing bike .... we shall see.

TaTa
As a newbie to the Benelli fold, it gives me much confidence in the brand when problems are sorted quickly. :)

Mind you, I've been waiting since September for a replacement screen which the dealer noticed was scratched when he took delivery of my bike.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts