Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently bought a 2004 TNT and obviously it's like nothing I've ever tasted before and is fab, I expect it'll go wrong soon BUT in the meantime I have discovered a number of 'characteristics of the vehicle' and wondered if anyone could comment.

I don't know if the coolig system has any known weaknesses, I have put a small coolant leak down to overflow (best to be optimistic)

and

I have noticed the fans cut in at only 60% of the temperature guage. This means they cut in a lot! Is this normal?

and

I notice occasionally the lights don't always fancy staying on at idle. Usually OK but just occasionally they won't come on at start up initially and in traffic at a standstill they can be off or intermittent. Small increase in revs is enough to sort it though.

It has apparently had a new battery at some point, I'm not sure I like the look of the hollow shoelaces they use as a coating tho. The bike has covered 7800miles which is probably high for one of these but I thought, if its made it that far, it can't be that bad!

and

I see from the forum that the engine cutting out is not uncommon, this has happeneed to me a couple of times

Aside from that, interestingly enough it came with a new Quat-D race can which was a bonus. If any one has any comments about comparable power delivery before and after or general set up I'd be glad to hear from them as I have no power commander at present.

So anyway Happy New Year, and if you are near Ferndown in Dorset, perhaps I'll see somebody soon, and you can hear the exhaust yourself!

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Welcome Ben,
I am sure you'll get most of your questions answered eventually! Lot's of great and helpful guys here. Be sure to post pics and sign up in the registry. I'lll try and not set you up in the middle of the English Channel. :rolling:

·
463 Posts
Welcome Ben, glad your enjoying the bike ,i,ve got an 05 one now with 5000mls on it, it occasionaly cuts out at lights but always restarts straight away, but its not uncommon for that to happen with other makes anyway, the fans do come on quite a lot partiulary when the weather is warmer, as for the lights mine are on as soon as the bike is started, not sure what you mean about hollow shoelaces? There are a few mods you can do to improve the bikethat you will find on the forum, especially from VTX BRIT, how much coolant have you lost? It would be interesting to know whether you privatly or from a dealer and i know its cheeky but how much?:hiya: :hiya: :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Welcome Ben,
happy new year to you too, nice to see that you're enjoying the bike.
Mine is a ’04 15000 Km and no weakness in the cooling system so far. Check the coolant level don’t over fill the coolant tank. (I suppose that the cooling fans are placed outside the radiators for sure).
The coolers start when temp reach the 3rd line on temp. gauge (use to be on the second line before the map upgrade).
The head lights are turned off when coolers are working and engine is at idle
No engine cut-offs for me after the last map upgrade (thank god). Follow Hector’s advice and check out the mods.
Cheers :)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The shoelace thing is about the covering that seems to be over the wires, unless mine has been 'repaired'. There are some plugs on top of the battery as well, I guess this is for diagnostics?

As for price - not cheeky at all.

My 2004 7,800 mile Green (Yes!) 1130 TNT, 2 former keepers, brand new Race Can and new pair of Metzlers came with good service history. I bought it from a local dealer in Dorset (not 3X) for £4,800. It was up at £4,995, the lowest I have seen one advertised (mileage up tho')

I have some contacts in the trade and it seems the general feeling is that they are worth around £1000 LESS than the book says.

They are fantastic but the trade doesn't trust them, and that goes for the Tornado's too. I was a bit itchy about condition as many do 1,000 miles a year and live in garages but overall I didn't think I could do much better than that locally with the can and all. I had just missed a peach on ebay with 1500 miles for just over £5,000, and I notice a yellow one on ebay recently didn't attract any bids at £4,995.

I think the trade thinks the bike is £4,000, privately £4,500 maybe when the sun shines and so £4,800 was pretty good. I still haven't seen another advertised on bike trade for much less than £5,995.

Just a bit worried about it going wrong, especially now Three Cross have ceased their dealership status. Looks like i'll be trekking up to DMA when the time comes. So worried that I kept my 1200 Bandit trade in just in case!!!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Uh-oh

Welcome Ben,
I am sure you'll get most of your questions answered eventually! Lot's of great and helpful guys here. Be sure to post pics and sign up in the registry. I'lll try and not set you up in the middle of the English Channel. :rolling:
Had a go at the registry but after 2 error messages gave up. Sorry, stick me in the channel!

·
463 Posts
Sounds like a good price to me, but at the same time does,nt bode well for me if i want to get a cafe racer , i don,t think you need to worry about it letting you down in a big way , i havn,t heard of any tnts having any big mechanical problems, don,t 3x still have the diagnostic equipmentfor Benelli even if they can,t get parts? The plugs on the battery are for dignostics and i now know what you mean about the shoe lace covering, mines the same, what you can do is get some black plastic copex (flexible tube for putting singles cable in)20 0r 25mm, slice it down the middle and cover the wires.
wanted a green one myself, even rarer than red ones>

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Welcome to the site!

I am fairly local to you... Southampton (You can see Rob Willsher - Suzuki dealer from my back fence!)

I used to live in West Moors so know the area fairly well.

Maybe when the weather improves and the Quay is in full swing again we could meet up and head down for a drink and a bag of chips!

Glad you emphasisied that you didn't buy the bike from 'double' cross, I did and have had no end of problems with them!

Thankfully the bikes problems were sorted out in Germany whilst I was out there with the mob!

As for being stuck in the middle of the English Channel, you don't want to do that I was nearly speaking French until Roland sorted it out!

Ride safe.

Andy

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Hello Ben

Hi Ben,
Welcome to the Benelli family.......just a few pointers: the head light going on/off at idle is correct and means you must have the latest map this feature was introduced to try and conserve the small battery. The new map also brings in the fans earlier to try and compensate for the undersized cooling system, On 04 and early 05 models (manufactured not registered) the alternator is undersized, both alternator and starter motor have been modified on the late 05 and 06 TNT cafe racer and sport models.
The wiring tape that looks like a 1950’s ford loom is a pain on all the TNT’s I tried sleeving mine but it looked s**t so I have tidied the ends up with matt finish PVC insulation tape.
You can improve the cutting out problem by increasing the idle speed slightly I run at about 1600rpm
Have you got the external fan mod?
On the left side of the bike under the frame bolt can you see the remote idle speed adjuster (normally done with the fan mod) it’s a knurled round nut clipped to the engine via a small formed rod.
As for the mileage I have a 05 Red TNT which has over 12000miles on the clock and is still going strong.
For all there faults you are now the proud owner of the fastest best looking grin making bird pulling R1 beating rocket machine…………….enjoy. :clap: :clap:

·
349 Posts
be gentle

happy new year guys,
I am really looking forward to this season on the TNT ,i am not too sure about the Tre but Heh! who knows.Now i have the revised starter motor,outer fans and new mapping hopefully the old TNT will be fine.What do you guys think about putting a mechanical breakdown insurance on our 2 year old bikes to maybe help the wallet just in case anything serious goes wrong?.
Ben,i live in Wiltshire so i am sure we will meet at Poole on a Tues.night or maybe the Melton Abbas airfield near Shaftesbury.
Have any of you ground off the rivets on the silencer end cap.I was thinking of modifying the end cap to have a longer tailpipe like the new ones have,and to have a conventional end cap made and do away with the original fish tail shape thing.
A lot of my riding,even on the TNT is 2 up so i need a better shock on the back.I now have a Hagon unit which is a 100 per cent better than the stock unit but still not good enough.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
All the best,
Zebo.:)

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
happy new year guys,
I am really looking forward to this season on the TNT ,i am not too sure about the Tre but Heh! who knows.Now i have the revised starter motor,outer fans and new mapping hopefully the old TNT will be fine.What do you guys think about putting a mechanical breakdown insurance on our 2 year old bikes to maybe help the wallet just in case anything serious goes wrong?.
Ben,i live in Wiltshire so i am sure we will meet at Poole on a Tues.night or maybe the Melton Abbas airfield near Shaftesbury.
Have any of you ground off the rivets on the silencer end cap.I was thinking of modifying the end cap to have a longer tailpipe like the new ones have,and to have a conventional end cap made and do away with the original fish tail shape thing.
A lot of my riding,even on the TNT is 2 up so i need a better shock on the back.I now have a Hagon unit which is a 100 per cent better than the stock unit but still not good enough.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
All the best,
Zebo.:)
Zebo, that's 3 of us in this area, maybe a meet at Poole Quay is in order sometime during the summer ( I work in Watford during the week, but should be able to wrangle something to get down!)

have you ever been to Popham Airfield? Mainly Ducati's, but it would be so nice to tip up there and show them what real Italian machinery is about!:bawl:

·
349 Posts
zebo

Hi Andy,
I used to get my avgas fuel from Popham when i was roadracing,but i havnt been there for a bike meet.When is it? and do they have a nice cafe like the Compton Abbas one has.The Compton Abbas meet is on a Wed.eve.
Zebo.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Hi Andy,
I used to get my avgas fuel from Popham when i was roadracing,but i havnt been there for a bike meet.When is it? and do they have a nice cafe like the Compton Abbas one has.The Compton Abbas meet is on a Wed.eve.
Zebo.
The other bike site I still subscribe too..www.SV-Portal.com heads up there every 2nd Sunday of the month. I think that there isn't any planned meets until April due to weather this time of the year.

However every time I head up there I always get the Ducatiists giving the Tornado a sideways glance... I think they are just a bit miffed because I have something more bespoke than they have!:D

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Welcome to the forums Ben:bow: I should've said hello a wee while back but I hardly ever pop my head around the tnt section:(

Welcome anyway bud:D

Al:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks everyone, excellent feedback and a warm welcome.

Can't quote you all, but thanks for all the advice, looks like I have some of the mods needed, and yes, upping the idle speed had occurred to me, might make it even faster off the mark!!!

Lots of talk about external fans, this hasn't been done. I might look into that. I see some companies do aerodynamic fins to hide them afterwards.

Great to see a couple of riders within an hour or so of me with TNTs. Poole Quay and Compton Abbas look more than likely this year. Three TNTs arriving at once, that'll get some heads turning. It might be a bit sad but I love the exclusivity of these bikes. Doesn't matter who sees you, EVERYBODY has to have a look!!

Right, now I've got to go through this thread again and write down all the recommended mods!

Nice forum, thanks again.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Great to see a couple of riders within an hour or so of me with TNTs. Poole Quay and Compton Abbas look more than likely this year. Three TNTs arriving at once, that'll get some heads turning.
What about me on my bloody Tornado then?

Do I not get an Invite????

Andy:mad:

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Thanks everyone, excellent feedback and a warm welcome.

Can't quote you all, but thanks for all the advice, looks like I have some of the mods needed, and yes, upping the idle speed had occurred to me, might make it even faster off the mark!!!

Lots of talk about external fans, this hasn't been done. I might look into that. I see some companies do aerodynamic fins to hide them afterwards.

Great to see a couple of riders within an hour or so of me with TNTs. Poole Quay and Compton Abbas look more than likely this year. Three TNTs arriving at once, that'll get some heads turning. It might be a bit sad but I love the exclusivity of these bikes. Doesn't matter who sees you, EVERYBODY has to have a look!!

Right, now I've got to go through this thread again and write down all the recommended mods!

Nice forum, thanks again.
Ben the external fan mod is a warranty issue and should have been done as a warranty update, plus the remote throttle mod is done at same time talk to the dealer who sold you the bike or maybe KJM it is important that the fan mod is done.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I did say be gentle!!!

What about me on my bloody Tornado then?

Do I not get an Invite????

Andy:mad:
Invite? Bit formal! Just turn up with a smile and a cheery wave!! Just assumed it was TNT section sorry sorry, and again sorry.

Other venue in Hants is the Red Lion in Stubbington on Mondays, landlord is the same chap who developed the Poole Quay meet outside his old pub the Jolly Sailor 1991. That turned into a bit of a monster - Not quite the same here but somewhere to go none the less.

Not to mention the Wilts meet at Amesbury, or is it Avebury on Weds.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ben the external fan mod is a warranty issue and should have been done as a warranty update, plus the remote throttle mod is done at same time talk to the dealer who sold you the bike or maybe KJM it is important that the fan mod is done.
Dealer I bought from was independent of Benelli so as I thought, its a trip to DMA cos 3X won't do warranty work now...

Thanks for the tip.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts