Benelli Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Having had the 250 2c for 5 years it was time to give the bike a freshen up! The bike is in completely original condition after 39 years of use.
1D6ABC4E-CE17-40B0-A0EE-310EC8D58009.jpeg FBA4AD67-733F-40C6-88EC-DC045C5726CB.jpeg
This was the bike this morning and by the evening it was nearly stripped
7EA4FAC4-8BE3-4C79-A8BE-C32692708101.jpeg 23B038B5-6C16-4483-8CE3-0C310C60DBB6.jpeg 5F84831C-AA4A-4861-B9A0-4CC5C5893D35.jpeg
Some of the bolts were very corroded and needed a lot of pursuading to come undone!
As soon as I have stripped the bike I will sort the parts ready for the powder coaters.
I have been accumulating spares over the last few years ready for this renovation.

Attachments

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have stripped the bike I will sort the parts ready for the powder coaters ...
Hi Richard

Nice project. I presume it's the frame you intend to get powder coated. Have you thought about painting it instead?

I know powder coating is a durable finish and is popular for motorcycle frames these days, but I've never understood why. It has several disadvantages. It can crack and chip off. It's impossible to touch up if you have to repair or modify the frame after coating. Some powder coaters are better than others and the finish can be unreliable (I've seen some truly awful PC work with bubbles and pinholes in it). It's difficult to remove if you need to (for electrical earthing etc.).

I much prefer a nice coat of epoxy paint. It's just as durable as PC and doesn't have the disadvantages mentioned above. And the big bonus for home restorers is that you can do it yourself without too much investment in equipment (once the frame has been sand blasted).

Good luck with the project,
Cam

·
Registered
728 Posts
Having had the 250 2c for 5 years it was time to give the bike a freshen up! The bike is in completely original condition after 39 years of use.
View attachment 34483 View attachment 34485
This was the bike this morning and by the evening it was nearly stripped
View attachment 34487 View attachment 34489 View attachment 34491
Some of the bolts were very corroded and needed a lot of pursuading to come undone!
As soon as I have stripped the bike I will sort the parts ready for the powder coaters.
I have been accumulating spares over the last few years ready for this renovation.
Hi Richard,I've bought a 250 2c,I'm waiting to get it shipped over from England,it's in need of restoration also, I think I'll paint the frame though,on my other restorations I've always he'd the frame blasted then painted,good luck with the project !

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have got some full 250 cc barrels and pistons for the engine and a new power dynamo ignition and 12v conversion to fit. The wiring loom is shot and I will rewire it with out all the endless joints and will use a wire instead of relying on the frame.

·
Super Moderator
7,746 Posts
I have got some full 250 cc barrels and pistons for the engine
Where did you source the pistons from Richard and what size are they (62.5mm?) . Could do with a set for mine.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Laurence, I bought a set of barrel, pistons and modified cylinder heads from EBay Italy a while ago. The barrels are aluminium Nikasil and the pistons 58mm diameter. I did have a set of pistons 58 mm pistons for Iron barrels but sold them in favour of the better ported aluminium barrels. I spoke with Detlef Burian a few years ago and he had a set of oversize aluminium barrels for sale.
in the 1980s Speedscene used to sell oversize iron barrels and pistons. I think 62 mm would be closer to 300cc!

·
Registered
125 Posts
I got in a new 250 2C when I was a dealer and rode it for awhile, using it as a demo. It was the 4 shoe drum model.
wonderful bike.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The 2c is a great handling bike being light and having a fab 2 stroke engine. Mine still puts a smile on my face when I get out on it!
Have had another day taking it apart, one of the headstock bearings had one less ball bearing than the other! Probably been like that since it left Italy 🇮🇹
E3062368-0FE2-457B-AC7A-EB59EABA2A2D.jpeg 518B26BF-032A-4412-B625-386742A8D7C8.jpeg 20E47646-6690-4B3A-A190-C883B9C079EC.jpeg
I had to anglegrind the nuts away that held the Speedo and tachometer in their surround! I am going to have to weld the chain guard as there is a small fracture in the metal and a bracket needs re welding to the swinging arm. The filler cap was also a challenge to get off the tank but ok when I worked out how to remove it.

Reactions: benellioldman

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The Tank and side panels have gone to the paint sprayers to be painted in Daf coral red paint code RAL 3016. I hope this paint is a good match for the original orangey red they were painted in.
5741C1A6-8CAB-4E70-AF6F-48393C4D049E.jpeg
They are going to paint the large black stripe but I will have to get the red and black pinstripes done by a sign writer.
i have renovated the original seat by removing the cover and sticking vinyl patches on the inside behind the 2 small splits.
i have also made a new strap out of vinyl and refitted that and will post pictures shortly.
The frame and ancillary parts are at the powder coaters and I have started degreasing the engine.
Does anybody know a company who can split the crankshaft and replace the main bearings and inner oil seal ?

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi All, just a quick update on the restoration I picked up the frame and parts from powder Coaters prior to testing positive to coronavirus! The tank and side panels have been resprayed, but I can’t pick them up until I am all clear of the virus.
There are 3 in our household and we all have it it’s very contagious be careful and keep safe!
i will post pictures when I am able.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Oh dear hope you get well soon. I have always liked the 2c and nearly bought a wreck once.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hope you get over it soon,my resto is coming along,picked up a pair of brand new silencers from Italy ,the worst part is the wiring loom,I really need a new one,as the original has been modified ( butchered !) but hope we can both get them back on the road for
spring !

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi my wiring loom was shot when I took it off! no wonder the lights struggled to work. I am an electrician by trade and am going to make a new loom that includes the connections for the the new power Dynamo 12 v conversion. I have fitted these tor other people by adapting the original wiring but I think a new loom will be a permanent fix. I am thinking of taking the wiring from A to B in one piece rather than going through loads of connectors exposed to damp and corrosion. Good luck with your restoration I can’t wait to restart mine when I feel well enough!

Reactions: ron d and DenH

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,
Looks like im going the same way like you. I have benelli 250 2C with number AB 8382 and i dont know what year is he. Can you help me to identify? Thank you. Dejan

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you join the Benellimotobiclubgb they will be able to date your machine and it’s a great club to be in!

Reactions: ron d

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hi in answer to your observation's re the Benelli Motobi Club GB. You are probably talking about our Facebook page. The Facebook page is for members only who have paid their subscriptions to the club which is a member club with a quarterly magazine, events , technical help, machine dating dept , etc. The reason you have not received a reply is because you probably are not a member of the club and therefore no membership number , if you have a membership no please forward this to us and we will accept , and then you can view the content of the facebook page .If you want to join the club please see our website at www.benelliclubgb.net where you will find all the info you need to join the club. If you require any more info please PM me

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hi in answer to your observation's re the Benelli Motobi Club GB. You are probably talking about our Facebook page. The Facebook page is for members only who have paid their subscriptions to the club which is a member club with a quarterly magazine, events , technical help, machine dating dept , etc. The reason you have not received a reply is because you probably are not a member of the club and therefore no membership number , if you have a membership no please forward this to us and we will accept , and then you can view the content of the facebook page .If you want to join the club please see our website at www.benelliclubgb.net where you will find all the info you need to join the club. If you require any more info please PM me
Join it it's well worth it 👍

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
This is the frame and other parts that I got back from the powder coaters. I had the frame coated in gloss and other parts in satin black. Hoping to pick up tank and side panels next week.
DC7A4E03-1151-4097-B973-5F27499CFBDD.jpeg 86126EFF-7628-4CD3-AA21-DCE341B6E63B.jpeg 22D13F8E-AB20-42D3-B550-66BB5CDF7139.jpeg 807E82EB-079C-46CA-85A3-73D681B6DC6E.jpeg
These are the details of Steve the powder coater he has done work on 2 other Benelli’s I have and is a biker as well👍 [email protected] : 0753 89 888 89
Unit 5
Dunsley Farm
London Rd
Tring
Hertfordshire
HP23 6HA

i am finally getting over coronavirus and hope to resume the restoration next week!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have managed to grab a few hours on the reassemble of the Benelli
F6B456D4-12E0-4DE2-BE0D-DFEFA9BC8207.jpeg 5AEFFE6E-74E3-4A80-8218-B3A9EFC00A5A.jpeg B66EB2E4-10AF-4BA5-AC98-99F457346018.jpeg

I have refitted the headstock, swinging arm and stand so it feels like I am finally past the dismantling stage. I also have some rechromed fork stanchions and new old stock fork sliders( Selwyn Motorcycles)
73FEE570-2E88-4CCF-990C-1FE603561576.jpeg
I have removed the wheel bearings and had to cut a rock hard tyre of a rim!
E634CD75-636B-44D9-9565-9EF1C3FEE7A1.jpeg

1 - 20 of 36 Posts