Benelli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I picked up the newly sprayed tank and side panels today, I need to get the pinstripes done by a sign writer!
I am pleased with the colour it’s Daf Coral red ( RAL Code 3016)
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design
Wheel Hood Automotive tire Tire Automotive lighting
Automotive parking light Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The guy who sprayed my tank unfortunately a few days ago lost his mother to coronavirus and his business partner has had a bad dose too and is retiring from the business. These are very difficult times we live in!

Reactions: DenH

·
Registered
20 Posts
Tank

Well that’s a happy and sad story all in one go by the sounds. Why hasn’t your man pinstriped the tank? It’s a bit strange. I do quite a few classic tanks for a living and always do the artwork in with the job. Sounds strange it’s been left off.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
The tank was sprayed by a car sprayer and the original Benelli tank had hand done pinstripes on it! They are a line of red and black above and below the the large black band.

Reactions: benellioldman

·
Registered
20 Posts
So do you paint cars and bikes then Eric?
I don’t bother with painting cars anymore, it’s a rat race. I just do the interesting stuff these days. I’ve a customer in Leeds who I do the fabrication side of restoration on 60’s and 70’s investment cars but I also work as industrial and domestic multi trade. Bit hard to explain

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Hi all I have been locked out the forum for a few weeks but have managed to sort a few things on the 2c.
The forks are now rebuilt with new shock absorbers from Gutsibits and the stanchions re chromed at Philpots.

forks all rebuilt and back together with 70 cc of fork oil in each leg ready to refit

Reactions: ron d

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·

Fitted the pin stripping myself today did it free hand and used a roll of black and a roll of white! It took a little care to get both stripes side by side.
I have since fitted the lower tank trim , filler cap and fuel taps. I ended the day respraying the Speedo and Rev counter bezels satin black.
I have finally managed to find a company to bright zinc plate a box of of bits that I need to continue reassembly.

Reactions: ron d and Neil1400

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Got some items back from the zinc platers today ( C Tek in Leighton Buzzard ) very reasonable £25

Over the last few years I have slowly gathered various parts for the restoration as having items chrome plated is very expensive.

These new old stock items were bought for £10 each in Benelli wrappers ! It pays to be patient. Hoping to make some good progress next week!

Reactions: Neil1400

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
I cleaned them using a drill with a wire brush attachment and got the worse of the rust of before they plated them. The drill cleans things quite quickly I also degrease any components that need it as well

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Have not been able to do any work on the 2c for the last 6 weeks because of work commitments. I did get a few hours to sort out the tank badges and rear sprocket..
I paint stripped the badges and repainted them with a modelling brush and enamel paints.

The Rear sprocket was proving difficult to locate having tried the usual suppliers.
The solution is to buy a 41 tooth sprocket for a Lexmoto 125 venom, this has the correct internal diameter and only needs 6 7.5mm holes drilling in it to fit the Benelli hub!

This sprocket only cost £27 and is a good alternative to the original. You can buy front sprockets from JTS for a Yamaha DT 175 Mx that fit the Benelli.
Hoping to get the rolling chassis finished soon and move onto the engine.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Hi it’s been a busy time but I am still making progress on the 2c. I have started the wiring loom I am keeping the original loom inside the head light but rewiring the rest of the loom. Benelli originally had bullet connectors on the underside of the rear mudguard for the rear lights and indicators! No wonder they were always playing up.
I started by cleaning up the headlight earth connections although I am running a new wire to all the lights !

There are 2 spade terminals in the bottom of the headlight bowl.
I have removed the original light switches and fitted later Benelli switches which plug into the head light.
I then pinned the old loom to a board before stripping the outer black sleeping to expose the loom.

The loom will need extensive alteration to fit the new powerdynamo 12v generator and electronic ignition system. The old loom runs a direct lighting system and a battery system.

The diagram supplied with this unit is generic and does not show how to connect it to a 2c.
The old regulator has a bunch of wires to it which need altering to connect it up!
I have started making the new loom up and wil show that on my next up date

Reactions: ron d and DenH

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Have finished the wiring and have started to sort the engine with new oil seals and fitting the 58mm barrels and pistons
Automotive tire Gear Wheel Motor vehicle Wood

Textile Eyewear Automotive design Shelf Electronic instrument

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Bumper Wood

Motor vehicle Gas Machine Engineering Auto part

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Kitchen utensil Cylinder

Automotive tire Crankset Motor vehicle Bicycle part Hand tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Saw

Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Combat vehicle Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Automotive exterior

Light Idiophone Headgear Eyewear Automotive lighting

·
Registered
666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Automotive design

Wheel Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Tire

Have managed to progress the 2c a little bit more today, I have put the cylinder heads on the engine and torqued them down.
Motor vehicle Automotive design Gas Automotive exterior Engineering

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Engineering Gas

Blue Automotive tire Bicycle part Engineering Electrical wiring

Helmet Motor vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

Rim Material property Audio equipment Gas Automotive wheel system

This image shows the cylinder head has been machined slightly larger for the 58mm pistons it came with slightly larger head baskets. The engine has been bolted back in the frame and I have fitted the chain to the new sprockets
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Vehicle

Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior

Reactions: RichardJ
21 - 40 of 53 Posts