Benelli Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Been checking out on-line insurance quotes for my soon to be delivered TRE 900 and have found that the insurance company I am with at the moment (ebike) will almost half the premium if I have a E587T fitted.

The problem is, I have very little faith in alarms as many friends have had lots of problems with fitted alarms. Point in case, Sunday gone I was at Hartside cafe http://www.visitcumbria.com/pen/hartside.htm having a cuppa with a few friends when this poor sod on a 750 Gizza mounted said beast pressed the alarm key-fob and off went the alarm, heads turned, he pressed again, alarm stopped for about five seconds and went off again. Even more heads turned and sniggering started. This went on for what seemed ages before the poor chap dismounted muttering "F**ing not again!!" and disapeared into the cafe. He never came out before we left and I wonder how long he waited before trying again.

My garage is alarmed and and well protected and I just feel it is something else to go wrong. So, how reliable is this alarm? It seems to be a dealer only part and the price seems to be around £369.99 fitted. Thought it was just a plug an go system? Seems a little expensive to me when the same alarm without the Benelli plug can be had for as little as £150.00...

Anyone got one for sale....;)

·
Super Moderator
7,770 Posts
Hi Stephen,

I've had the Gemel E587T (Benelli) model fitted to my current and previous TRE and I have not had a single false alarm from either of them. They are dead easy to live with especially if you get the remote key conversion kit, one press to arm and another to disarm.

There was the thread on alarms a few months ago which has some more info. on the Meta equivalent which should also be a plug-in fit for the TRE and you may find it a bit less expensive than the Gemel unit.

http://www.benelliforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1506&highlight=alarm

·
Registered
2,211 Posts
I have the abletronics pro absolute (I am sure Lawrence will tell you its the same as a Meta ...whatever model)

It gave me over £150 discount off my insurance - hence why I had it fitted when I got the tre a couple o years ago

My garage sounds similar to yours - secure, alarmed etc , but I figure that after 2 years of insurance premiums then the alarm would have paid for itself

I have not had 1 false alarm whatsoever

The alarm guy who fitted it spent 30 minutes figuring out how all the panels came off the tre - about 10 minutes fitting the alarm then 15/20 fitting the led light (he eventually plumped for a 'blue' led light fitted in the housing of the parking light)
He spent 10 minutes putting it back together then an hour having a cuppa and looking at the nelli from every angle (and taking piccies of her too !!)

I wouldnt hesitate havin another alarm fitted to any bike at all

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the info. and advice. :)

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update

I'm going for a TRACKER instead of an alarm.

I get the same insurance discount and the TRACKER only has two wires to connect (+ & -). :D

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
My insurance company offered me a £10 discount if I got an alarm fitted:mad::confused:

I told them that I'd rather have the bike nicked rather than go through all the hassle:rolleyes:

Al

·
903 Posts
And still nobody has had the decency to nick it eh Al!:rolling: :rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

:hiya: Matey how are you doing!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts