Benelli Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

I am in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. We just now have Benelli's available to us, after a several year wait for certification for import. There is a new dealership setting up, presently just started operating out of temporary quarters.

The dealer had four bikes on display this past weekend, and claims to have 15 more coming, along with full parts inventory, etc. This is a brand new dealership, no business history.

I am giving serious thought to buying a silver/green Toronada Tre, absolutely gorgeous, but dealer won't allow a test ride. Alternative woud be a 2007 Ducati 1098, in stock here locally, for sale by long established dealership, and the Ducati is considerably cheaper than the asking price for the Benelli.

I have been riding for 35 years, owned a 1981 Benelli 900 Sei for 14 years, just sold my 1971 Laverda SFC 750 #8334, and still own two Breganze Laverda's, both triples.

Can anyone tell me what to expect from a new Benelli Toronado Tre? Power and handling characteristics, reliability, factory recalls or warranty issues, desireable upgrades, etc.?

Greatly appreciate any info and advice.

Regards
Paul LeClair

·
1,228 Posts
expectations

Well early welcome to you then. The forum is a fantastic place to find info about your Tornado if you decide ot go that way. I too have been riding for 34 years. I can tell you what I have experienced on mine: Sheer bliss. No problems to speak of on either the biposto or the LE with the exception of the shifting being a tad difficult to get into neutral but as you get used to it it is no problem really. You already know about owning rare bikes so nothing will surprise you in the time category. It is not goin to out accelerate an R-1 but handles better in my opinion. In fact, during a test with the 999 in an article I have the tornado ran.01 seconds slower. That comes down to the rider I suppose but what is that going to result in on the street where you don't use 70% of a bikes capability? Nothing. The silver/green Benelli is without question the best looking bike on the planet. The only bike that competes with it is the MV Austa but I suppose that statement is in the eye of teh beholder. Read the forum through quite a bit and you will see that some people have some problems but they continue to persevere thru these. They do it because of the passion they feel. This bike doesn't just get you from A to B, it stirs your soul. make that dealer fire it up for you. The sound it makes is amazing. I can only compare it to the likes of the sound that a ferrari makes. It is that distinct. Sit on it and see if it brings a smile ot your face. Riding it is only that much more addictive. BTW I take no responsibilty for the medical ccosts taht you will likely incur in plastic surgery and psycology visits. The smile will have to be removed from your face as it will be permanant and you will be laughing and talking to yourself like a raving lunatic!

john

·
Administrator
972 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

Did you say the 1098 is available there already? They are not due here in the US for another month. As for the Tornado, when are you guys suppose to get the 1130?

·
903 Posts
Benelli V Ducati?

:p

:hiya: Welcome to the forum Paul, am I correct in saying you can get a Ducati 1098 cheaper that a Benelli Tornado? Is the Benelli the new 1130 version or the 900? Here in the UK the new Ducati is going to be priced at around £12.000.00 and the New Benelli 1130 £10.000.00. But if it is the old Benelli 900, that can be bought for £6.000.00, all the above brand new!

I would be very suprised if you could get the Ducati 1098 cheaper that the 1130. That said, if cost is not an issue I would probably go for the Benelli purely for the exclusivity, noise, looks, grin factor. The Ducati is sure to be a hit which means that everyone will have one! Boring!:sleepy:

You also have to find out how much the two bikes would cost to run per year as they are both have Italian pedegries which means highish maintenance costs. Also you need to know how realiable your dealer is going to be when it comes to getting parts or warrenty repairs done. With Ducati it should not be a problem (though it is a new model so they might not have much in the way of a spares package yet!). The Benelli 1130 is basically a combination of the Tornado 900 RS and the TNT and so should benefit from some sort of spares package (We here on the forum have been told that Benelli are getting their act together regarding this as it has been a problem in the past.).

It's a difficult choice buddy, I would go with you heart because if you think with your head you are sure to have one hell of headache! :rolling: :rolling:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and the welcome.

The local Ducati dealer has a brand new Ducati 1098, priced at $19,995.00, Canadian, plus 6% Goods and Services tax (GST).

The new dealer for the Benelli's has a green/silver Tornado Tre, priced at $27,995.00 Canadian plus 6% GST. Stupid as it sounds, I don't know whether the Benelli on display was a 900 or an 1130. I nearly tripped over my tongue when I saw the Benelli on display at the local motorcycle dealer show this past weekend, as there have been ongoing efforts for the past several years to get importation approval, and I hadn't been aware that someone had apparently succeeded in getting the Benelli's into Canada legally in a form that can be registered for the road.

We never did get the later Zane era Laverda's here in Canada, unfortunately, as importation approval was never granted by the Canadian government. I want a Laverda 750 Formula desperately, but I am going to have to wait until they reach 15 years of age before I am going to be able to get one into Canada for road use. We also didn't get Moto Guzzi's for seems like twenty years or so, we have only been able to get them here again in the past couple of years.

There is never any logic in a motorcycle purchase decision, but I am finding it tough to justify the extra $8,000.00 price difference between the Canadian asking pricing for the Benelli Tornado as compared to the pricing for the Ducati 1098, when from what I have read the Benelli's seem to be much lower priced in the U.K. and elsewhere, and I would have expected the Benelli to be priced similarily to the current Ducati, if not a bit cheaper.

Now that I am over the initial tripping over my tongue stage, I am going to go visit the new Benelli dealer in their temporary quarters and get the full details on exactly which models and which specifications are now available here in Canada, and at what asking prices. I would want the 1130 motor and to the latest upgraded specifications. If the Canadian prices are grossly high compared to the rest of the world, as long as current model Benelli's are now certified for import to Canada (and I am about to check directly with the government) then I might look into importing a new Benelli from the U.K., or maybe from Dai Garland's dealership in Wales. I met Dai and spent some time with a couple of years ago when he was visiting a Welsh buddy here in Calgary.

The new western Canadian dealer claims that they are purpose building a 40,000 (forty thousand) square foot dealership to handle their sale of Benelli, combined with sales of bikes from a Harley clone manufacturer called "Iron Horse". Seems like a strange motorcycle retailing combination to me, and huge premises for a new startup business, but all the best of success to them. They claim they are breaking ground for their new dealership March 2007, and should be in their new premises by March, 2008, so I guess we'll see.......

Thanks for the comments so far, I have been reading through the posts here, and the problems described don't seem like anything that would prevent me from proceeding with a modern Benelli purchase...... The current Benelli's remind me much more of a thoroughly modern Laverda triple as it might have been if Laverda hadn't gone under, rather than any connection to bikes like my prior 1981 Benelli 900 Sei.

Regards
Paul LeClair
ps
if anyone is interested in Breganze era Laverda's (sort of late 60's to mid 80's), I run a Laverda oriented web site with about 1,400 members world wide, lots of resources including tons of photo's, downloadable manuals, active message board, etc. Just check the link under my description on this forum here.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts