Benelli Forum banner
21 - 40 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Also, if you are still looking for the alternator rotor removal tool, you can get them from Moto Guzzi parts people. Gutsibits in the UK have them on their web site:

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheS...tor&f=d&Model=7&search=SEARCH&spPage=2#topbar

I see you are in the States, so you will probably want to look somewhere more local to you, but at least you can see what you're looking for. It is really just a long bolt, but it needs to be strong as you will need a lot of torque to pop you rotor off ( in my experience ).

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Thanks,
I did get the long bolt type tool, I’m replacing the alternator with the higher output permanent magnet one from endurolast. The rotor came right off with the tool.

Mark

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I split the cases this morning. One thing I noticed when I took a connecting rod cap off- the manual says: The locating teeth should face the front of the engine.
At least on the one I took off, it was facing the rear.

Does anyone know if the manual is correct for that? I have not taken the rest off, although the weight marking on them is sometimes toward the front, sometimes toward the rear- so I suspect the rods are in both directions...

I have seen signs the engine has been at least part way apart- looks to me like the locking rings on some nuts have been re-used. But no other signs. It is a later bike, so I don’t think it would have been part of the gearbox recall. (I certainly could be wrong on that). Gearbox looks great. Bearings look pretty good, but I’m going to replace them- I do see some wear. I have not measured clearance yet (out of Plastigauge).

thanks for any help.
Mark

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I got my cases vapor honed- they look great! Wheel Automotive tire Tire Musical instrument Grille Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive design Wheel Font Silver Auto part Audio equipment Automotive tire

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Some updates.
One of my big orders was lost by the Post Office. Even with pictures and detailed description nothing has been found.

So they finally admitted they lost it and the supplier has shipped replacements - along with (hopefully) all the bearings etc I need.

I’ve been working on the wheels. I had a spare rear, so I pulled it apart, vaporhoned the hub, polished the rim. I got a set of Stainless Spokes/nipples from Buccannan. The rear is together, I’m trueing it now.
Then I took apart the front (interesting setup)- vaporhoned it, polished rim and I’ve gotten it all together and trued.

Next I’ll do the original rear, a 4-shoe drum I’m putting on my 73 250 SuperSport (off a 2C).

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
4 Posts
I received the 78 750 Sei I bought today. I knew it was pretty rough, but actually a little better than I thought.
turns over fine, most stuff is there. It has a Kilometer speedo, so either a Canadian or European import I think. (I’m in the States).

It has clip-ons, a small 1/4 fairing, resets and a Marving 6-1.
I’m putting it back to stock, if anyone is looking for those items.

It is that green colour I didn’t like when new either. I’m changing to red.
I bought a new 750 sei about 1976/7. It was that same green, I told the dealer I didn’t want it if it was green. He had a red Quattro on the floor, so swapped it (so mine had an extra hole in the side covers, I just put red tape on the backside). He said ‘Good thing I like you, since the MSO listed colour too and I had to do some talking to get the State to properly list title’.

I will be posting updates, but it will be a bit before I do much of anything. I’m finishing an addition to my garage, that will make it much nicer to do this. I would like to start it up before I go too far- see if the engine needs overhaul or not. But of course need oil change etc first.
I don’t have a key- so I’ll be looking for the number and see if the outfit in England (or here) could cut a key from the numbers. Otherwise I’ll take it off and see if there are any real locksmiths still around. There used to be one here that could ‘impress’ a key pretty darn quickly.

Mark
Detlef Burian, of Benelliparts.de is a great guy and a GREAT Source for virtually ALL parts for the SEI

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Detlef Burian, of Benelliparts.de is a great guy and a GREAT Source for virtually ALL parts for the SEI
yes, the big order coming right now is from him. I’ve gotten quite a bit of stuff from him. Also Benelli-Bauer, but Detlef has a LOT better communication.

thanks

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I’ve been working on a 78 750 sei for awhile, although I have not done anything much to it over the winter. I’ve gotten rolling on the engine.
Waiting for some head stuff from Germany (no email or anything of course).

·
Registered
33 Posts
I’ve been working on a 78 750 sei for awhile, although I have not done anything much to it over the winter. I’ve gotten rolling on the engine.
View attachment 36587

View attachment 36588

View attachment 36589

View attachment 36590
View attachment 36587

View attachment 36588

View attachment 36589

View attachment 36590

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I realize I have not posted much on this one.
Engine bottom is all together. All new bearings (engine and gearbox) new pistons etc.
I’m waiting on some head stuff to really do it right.

I need to get the frame cleaned up/painted. Do the forks, brakes…lots of stuff still

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Darn, I forgot I already started the other thread.
I’m not sure if I can move it over- or have to copy/delete.

·
Super Moderator
7,781 Posts
Darn, I forgot I already started the other thread.
I’m not sure if I can move it over- or have to copy/delete.
Fixed it for ya :cool:

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Thanks! I guess it was long enough ago that I just forgot.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Working on valves. After that is done I’ll be ready to pop it on the engine (after slightly port matching)

Reactions: R Powell

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Gave the head a good bath after cutting seats, lapping in and matching ports to intake. I didn’t worry about doing much of anything else to the ports, they were fine for the type of use I plan.

Next I will make sure I’m on TDC and mark it well- pop the head on, then cam etc.
I want to get new studs, but seems correct length are not around. So I’ll get some and cut to size. Unless someone knows a source (NOT Benelli-Bauer, I would like to get them before next year)

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
I was ready to mount the head- then found I must have forgotten (or misplaced) the little ‘O-rings’ between head and cylinder. Dang.
Ordered some and will work on the frame until I get them and can install head. I have cleaning/polishing to do on side covers too.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
I put on the head today- timed the cam and just waiting on the headbolt seals to finish bolting on the cam cover.
Frame is partly sandblasted ( had some equipment issues- dang it!).

I have it strapped onto a transmission jack. So I can raise/lower and move around.
Just have to finish polishing the clutch cover so I an install.
the new cam chain tensioner I bought won’t fit! Darn thing is wider and won’t fit through the head. Oh well, the original is in great condition and with the new chain and amount of use I’m sure it will be fine. I did replace the stationary guide.

coming along.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Frame/swingarm all sandblasted. Need to finish prep and paint.

I am also working on the forks. I ordered what I thought was correct FAC damper upgrade. But turns out they are the wrong ones. And of course I had not checked until way, way after return dates. Darn.

I am still not quite certain of the correct one, I have some info but the US dealer for those has no idea if they really fit the Benelli.
I contacted Maxton about their cartridge setup- but they no longer sell in the States. (Insurance and liability I understand). dang!

I can get stock dampers, but I was hoping to improve the action.

21 - 40 of 78 Posts