Benelli Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 · (Edited)
Since I’m using an original ‘ON-OFF-ON’ handlebar switch, I decided to use the wire that would normally go to coil + and use that to activate a relay. Then feed the coils through that relay.
it is very easy to do right now and full power to coils is always good.

I also ran a relay so the updated alternator ‘sensor’ line can get full battery power, Not going through all the wiring and switches etc.
getting rid of the stock alternator regulator/recitifier and fusebox gave me more room anway.

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
I guess I never posted these.
Installing piston and rods into cylinder, then cylinder onto top case, drop in crank

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Made up some clear labels for the new style fusebox.
I added two relays
1- coil ‘IN’ wire triggering relay to supply full battery voltage to new alternator
2- Coil power triggered by same ‘IN’ coil wire. Assuring full power to coils (will power new ignition from this too.
Circuit component Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Electronic component

Fuel tank Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design

Reactions: Neil1400

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
I have the Sache ignition installed- easy and exactly like instructions said.

But I’m having major issues with the Busso pipes.
First, they brackets they sent are completely wrong- 4 identical ones, and no response when I asked about that.
Next, at least two of the pipes are way, way off. #1 is way too high at the tail if the headjoint is correct. I can probably use my tubing bender and get that.
But #3 is a way, way off and I am not sure what to do.

Sure wish I could have found some stock pipes, but I heard mostly good things about these.
Of course, I got brackets that may not be exact either- the originals were gone (6-1) and I got these from Bruien. I’ve had very good results from them- but perhaps these were made on the same bad day the Busso pipes were made…

I think I can get the right side to work, but that left one is going to be tough.

darn it, I figured on some fiddling to get it good, but I thought they would at least fit on, even if not lined up just right.
Open to ideas and suggestions.

(I’m in the States)

Mark

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
First start !
It fired right up. I have major fitment issues with left side of Busso pipes, but I just had to hear it run. It did not run when I got this one, so it has been since I owned one new I’ve heard one.

I’m busy next few days, but will attack pipes after that. two were either bent, or made incorrectly. I can fix #1 fairly easily I think, but #3 will be tough. No response from Busso.

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Thank you
Yes, it has been really fun- a few delays and problems to solve. But I expected that. I’ve done these before (not with a sei though).
Engine was easy and maybe the most fun for me. I do still have to sort pipes, paint fuel tank and side covers. Plus balance carbs and work out any bugs. But an easy first start was pretty gratifying.

· Registered
22 Posts
Thank you
Yes, it has been really fun- a few delays and problems to solve. But I expected that. I’ve done these before (not with a sei though).
Engine was easy and maybe the most fun for me. I do still have to sort pipes, paint fuel tank and side covers. Plus balance carbs and work out any bugs. But an easy first start was pretty gratifying.
I have my original mufflers hanging up, so took some pics of the mounting brackets. Hope they help.

Attachments

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
I have my original mufflers hanging up, so took some pics of the mounting brackets. Hope they help.
Thanks,
Those are what the brackets I got from Burien look like -nothing at all like the ones from Busso.
thanks!

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #72 ·
Here is what the left side looks like from the rear with the headpipe flanges properly against the gasket in the head. The bottom one is short and studs at an angle too.

the middle does line up to bracket pretty well, but not the others.
I think I can see a slight scratch and probably a bend in at least the top one. But sort of hard to tell for certain. The packing was awful- the pipes had a small layer of bubble wrap and tossed in a big box.

they look worse in person than the pictures show.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tire Tread Wheel

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
After careful marking- and fitting into my pipe bender (happen to have an ‘anvil’ that fit great) some careful bending got #1 fitting fairly well.
But I had to walk away for a bit to tackle #3. I’m not sure what I’m going to do, since it is so far off. Almost like they had it in #2 head spot on a jig, with the rest routing like #3 (if that makes sense). #2 fits fairly well and no way would 2 and 3 swap (like they miss-marked or something).

last resort is to cut and re-weld.

· Registered
22 Posts
After careful marking- and fitting into my pipe bender (happen to have an ‘anvil’ that fit great) some careful bending got #1 fitting fairly well.
But I had to walk away for a bit to tackle #3. I’m not sure what I’m going to do, since it is so far off. Almost like they had it in #2 head spot on a jig, with the rest routing like #3 (if that makes sense). #2 fits fairly well and no way would 2 and 3 swap (like they miss-marked or something).

last resort is to cut and re-weld.
If you loosen the clamps at the head of #1 and #3, can you move the mufflers into the right position?

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
No- #1 was enough off that it would have 2-3mm gap at gasket. #3 isn’t even close.
I think I re-bent #1 to be ok (not great). But still trying to figure #3

· Registered
22 Posts
No- #1 was enough off that it would have 2-3mm gap at gasket. #3 isn’t even close.
I think I re-bent #1 to be ok (not great). But still trying to figure #3
On #1, only 2-3mm isn't too bad. If you could cut and reweld at the mounting flange, would save the chrome elsewhere. Or build up with weld on the flange, grind to fit. Are these Busso pipes?

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #78 ·
On #1, only 2-3mm isn't too bad. If you could cut and reweld at the mounting flange, would save the chrome elsewhere. Or build up with weld on the flange, grind to fit. Are these Busso pipes?
Yes, I could have done that. But bending seems to be working ok. Thanks for that idea though.

yes, Busso pipes. Don’t buy them!

· Registered
1978 750 sei
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #79 · (Edited)
I took the 750 sei out for a ride!
Sure great to ride it- since it did not run when I got it.
Every nut/bolt/clip/part I took off, replaced or cleaned up and put all back together.

I have the spare fuel tank /side covers on (have not painted the original ones yet) and a couple other little things to do. But fired right up, runs great!

· Registered
22 Posts
I took the 750 sei out for a ride!
Sure great to ride it- since it did not run when I got it.
Every nut/bolt/clip/part I took off, replaced or cleaned up and put all back together.

I have the spare fuel tank /side covers on (have not painted the original ones yet) and a couple other little things to do. But fired right up, runs great!
Were you able to get the pipes to align?

61 - 80 of 106 Posts