1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #81 ·

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #83 ·
I just got the pipes on enough so I could ride it and see anything else I need to address. Rain is coming and I wanted to take advantage of some nice days.

#3 is the worst- you can’t really see it in the pic, but it is too short and twisted or spun. I had to add another bracket just to hold it there.

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle
Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Wheel

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #85 ·
While this camera location is not ideal (or aiming)- since it give one side much louder than the other.
I think still interesting.

Reactions: Laurencewhite

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #86 · (Edited)
Since it would have taken a load of time and finish was not very good either (plus the mounting studs leaked exhaust, on the muffler, not head)- I have given up on the Busso pipes and got some from moto storichei.
Much, much better finish and came with proper brackets. I did a quick try for fitment- very close and just some bushings to fine tune (like I expected) to be darn good. I’m fitting the right side now and bottom two are exactly right- top is just a little high, but still pretty darn good. Looks perfect from the side.

I also thought I could use the discs- but there was a small rust spot where the pads sat for who knows how long. So a machinist/fabricator friend is going to do a light turn on his lathe for me (I did some vapor honing for him on a Triumph double engine drag bike). So it will give me time to get exhaust adjusted and more work on the tank/side covers.
I made an aluminum ‘brace’ for inside the instrument pod- so help keep it from breaking where they often do. But looks like I was just a little thick right in the middle where the top comes down. So I’ll pop it back out and machine a little more off (it is a new pod).

I have around 120 miles on it so far- liking it a lot. My memory of what it was like to ride was correct.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 ·
Just another picture from the front (still old pipes and spare tank/side covers)

Fuel tank Tire Automotive fuel system Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: Neil1400

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just another picture from the front (still old pipes and spare tank/side covers)

View attachment 37218
Since it would have taken a load of time and finish was not very good either (plus the mounting studs leaked exhaust, on the muffler, not head)- I have given up on the Busso pipes and got some from moto storichei.
Much, much better finish and came with proper brackets. I did a quick try for fitment- very close and just some bushings to fine tune (like I expected) to be darn good. I’m fitting the right side now and bottom two are exactly right- top is just a little high, but still pretty darn good. Looks perfect from the side.

I also thought I could use the discs- but there was a small rust spot where the pads sat for who knows how long. So a machinist/fabricator friend is going to do a light turn on his lathe for me (I did some vapor honing for him on a Triumph double engine drag bike). So it will give me time to get exhaust adjusted and more work on the tank/side covers.
I made an aluminum ‘brace’ for inside the instrument pod- so help keep it from breaking where they often do. But looks like I was just a little thick right in the middle where the top comes down. So I’ll pop it back out and machine a little more off (it is a new pod).

I have around 120 miles on it so far- liking it a lot. My memory of what it was like to ride was correct.
Well, that was a quick response to the Busso fiasco. I wonder if you may have gotten on or two left side Quattro mufflers? Thanks for the Moto Storichei link too.

Yours turned out great, and has motivated me to get mine going. Won't be a restoration, as certain little things bothered me, like the controls and the way my legs hit the edges of the tank. But that's all I remember bad about it.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
I tried contacting them about the brackets- but they just said they do not give help mounting. They never responded to any other questions I had- and I included pictures. I guess once the unloaded them, they didn’t care. I would like to think I’m wrong, but…

I did change a couple things, like modern fusebox (the stock one gave me issues from day one on the one I bought new), new electronic ignition and a couple relays to lower current loads through switches. oh yeah, a high output modern alternator regulator/rectifier.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I tried contacting them about the brackets- but they just said they do not give help mounting. They never responded to any other questions I had- and I included pictures. I guess once the unloaded them, they didn’t care. I would like to think I’m wrong, but…

I did change a couple things, like modern fusebox (the stock one gave me issues from day one on the one I bought new), new electronic ignition and a couple relays to lower current loads through switches. oh yeah, a high output modern alternator regulator/rectifier.
I will likely have to make my own wiring harness, using late model Japanese switches. I've looked into the Sachse electronic ignition, but will keep the points for the time being. And I will keep the Bosch brush-type alternator until I can determine if the Guzzi V7 permanent magnet alternators might bolt in. It's a big undertaking as you know, but I've been accumulating parts and planning for many years.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #91 ·
I will likely have to make my own wiring harness, using late model Japanese switches. I've looked into the Sachse electronic ignition, but will keep the points for the time being. And I will keep the Bosch brush-type alternator until I can determine if the Guzzi V7 permanent magnet alternators might bolt in. It's a big undertaking as you know, but I've been accumulating parts and planning for many years.
the permanent alternator I got is the same a the Guzzi, but I think a different adapater plate. Enduralast. Works really well.
I had issues with the Points on my original sei early on. Back then, nobody made an electronic one, so I combined two Honda 500/4 Gerex ignitions. Worked superbly.
I highly recommend the Sachse, I am running with Accel coils- since I didn’t like the looks of the Dyna coils on mine (and racer buddy says he has had numorous failures with those, and none with the Accel).

I still have the Dyna electronic ignition that came off this sei (someone had replaced the original ‘electronica’ ignition), but didn’t have any advance and I was uncertain of age (I did test and it worked fine). So I sprung for the Sachse.

·
Registered
17 Posts
the permanent alternator I got is the same a the Guzzi, but I think a different adapater plate. Enduralast. Works really well.
I had issues with the Points on my original sei early on. Back then, nobody made an electronic one, so I combined two Honda 500/4 Gerex ignitions. Worked superbly.
I highly recommend the Sachse, I am running with Accel coils- since I didn’t like the looks of the Dyna coils on mine (and racer buddy says he has had numorous failures with those, and none with the Accel).

I still have the Dyna electronic ignition that came off this sei (someone had replaced the original ‘electronica’ ignition), but didn’t have any advance and I was uncertain of age (I did test and it worked fine). So I sprung for the Sachse.
I looked at Enduralast, which gave me the idea a regular 300 watt Guzzi gen might just bolt in, just not sure about the adaptor rings - they may be a standard shape.

I've had Gerex Multifire systems on a 400 Four and a BMW and they were incredible. I didn't know Dyna made an ignition for it. Does it still work? I like their reliability. I have Dyna coils on mine, they bolt right in, but I really think 6 separate stick coils may be the answer.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #93 ·
I looked at Enduralast, which gave me the idea a regular 300 watt Guzzi gen might just bolt in, just not sure about the adaptor rings - they may be a standard shape.

I've had Gerex Multifire systems on a 400 Four and a BMW and they were incredible. I didn't know Dyna made an ignition for it. Does it still work? I like their reliability. I have Dyna coils on mine, they bolt right in, but I really think 6 separate stick coils may be the answer.
this one

the Dyna is for a CBX i think. Yes- it worked fine, but i dont have any of the advance stuff

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Yes, that was the alternator I looked at. Was the Dyna plate a bolt-in?
Yes, the plate and ‘rotor’ bolted right on with no issues.
I could sell mine if you are interested (or trade?)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Yes, the plate and ‘rotor’ bolted right on with no issues.
I could sell mine if you are interested (or trade?)
I am interested. LMK what you want for it. I know it doesn't have an advance or rotor. Don't really have anything to trade either at this point. What are you looking for or need?

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #97 ·
I am interested. LMK what you want for it. I know it doesn't have an advance or rotor. Don't really have anything to trade either at this point. What are you looking for or need?
I will PM you, but always like spares.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #99 ·
I got the new moto storichei pipes (Busso pipes are for sale cheap).
Man, they fit on so easily (with proper bracket sent too) AND they look great!
I have not run it yet so I will wait to see how it sounds. But I’ll bet it sounds great.

Hope to take it out tomorrow.
I also had a buddy clean up the discs - there was one rust spot (from the pad) on one side of one. I thought it would be ok, but it wasn’t. He got it pretty darn good (he ran a fabrication shop for 30 years and still has some very nice metal working equipment)

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle

Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle registration plate Automotive tire

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #100 ·
Just a bit of a ride on the new Moto Storichei pipes.

I may have taken it to 5k rpm once, but really just cruising along. I think around 160 miles on the engine now.

81 - 100 of 103 Posts