Benelli Forum banner

Benelli sei 1978 - Project underway

18K views 105 replies 15 participants last post by  Lotus54 
#1 · (Edited)
I received the 78 750 Sei I bought today. I knew it was pretty rough, but actually a little better than I thought.
turns over fine, most stuff is there. It has a Kilometer speedo, so either a Canadian or European import I think. (I’m in the States).

It has clip-ons, a small 1/4 fairing, resets and a Marving 6-1.
I’m putting it back to stock, if anyone is looking for those items.

It is that green colour I didn’t like when new either. I’m changing to red.
I bought a new 750 sei about 1976/7. It was that same green, I told the dealer I didn’t want it if it was green. He had a red Quattro on the floor, so swapped it (so mine had an extra hole in the side covers, I just put red tape on the backside). He said ‘Good thing I like you, since the MSO listed colour too and I had to do some talking to get the State to properly list title’.

I will be posting updates, but it will be a bit before I do much of anything. I’m finishing an addition to my garage, that will make it much nicer to do this. I would like to start it up before I go too far- see if the engine needs overhaul or not. But of course need oil change etc first.
I don’t have a key- so I’ll be looking for the number and see if the outfit in England (or here) could cut a key from the numbers. Otherwise I’ll take it off and see if there are any real locksmiths still around. There used to be one here that could ‘impress’ a key pretty darn quickly.

Mark

See less See more
#3 ·
Here is a picture. I have the left side cover, and the seller claims to have the other. Now to actually get it! I do have another (Quattro) but would certainly rather get the original (since it should have emblems too).

I have a new seat cover, open to suggestions on the foam. I ordered Busso 6-6 pipes.

I will need to source brake rebuild parts (I think MG cycle has the Caliper parts)- hoses too of course (or just have some made up locally).
Load of other stuff of course. Ha!

I hope to start working on it by next month.

Attachments

Reactions: wachuko and ron d
#4 ·
I think I found caliper rebuild kits on MG Parts- but I have not been able to source anything for the master cylinder.
I found a few threads here talking about it- but no answers on where they found it.
I would certainly think one of the ‘standard’ Brembo kits of the day would fit, but I can’t find so far.

Benelli-Bauer does not list anything and I’ve been slowly going through other sites to see if I can find anything.
The master is not seized or anything and I have not taken it apart yet. But I believe it may be in decent condition and just needs seals.
I’ll probably just have some braided hoses made up- I’m not going to make a show bike out of this, but a rider. But I would like it really nice.

the Green/Blue on this bike is the same colour I couldn’t stand that my original sei came in. (Re: story of dealer swapping with Quattro for me).

thanks for any help.
Mark

#5 ·
Question on the fuel tank emblems.
I assume those have two ‘pins’ on the back of the emblem and push into the receptacle on the side of the tank.
where are the pins located? I don’t want to break anything getting them off.

Mark

#6 ·
I got the rebuild parts from Benelli Bauer, one has look up each part off the part list, they had all the parts to complete the rebuild of both calipers and master cylinder. by the way the top rubber will get eat up of you use the incorrect fluid. I know from experience.

#8 ·
Since mine appears to be an ‘Electronica’ - anyone know where I can source new stickers for the side panels?
I will repaint the bike original red (or as close as I can find), so of course the stickers will have to come off.

I’ve just been collecting parts I know I’ll need- still finishing my garage work before starting on the bike.

Attachments

#10 ·
I finally brought the sei home to my garage (was at another garage until I got my upgrades done).
Sort of a bugger to move it with no brakes! I couldn’t push it backward up my lift, so used my ‘cherry picker’ and just picked the whole bike up and set it on the lift. Another person and it would have been easy to push, but...

I still have a few things to finish on my garage (getting close) but I’ll start fooling with the sei. Of course, I seem to have lost my spark plug wrench that will work on those, so ordered one (should be here in a day or two). I want to pop a bit of oil in the cylinders, spin it over some- check compression. Then either clean the carbs up or swap with a spare set I have.

no baffle in the Marvin 6-1. It will be LOUD!

#11 ·
Found a couple of interesting things on the sei.

1. Someone appears to have welded on another damper mount on the swingarm. Just over the axle. But they are both in the original position now. It has period Marzocchi with those gas ‘canisters’ on the side.

2. I think original European headlamp (Aprilia)- unfortunately the reflector seems to be a bit worse for wear.

3. Engine turns over very nicely with sparking plugs out- I need to do a compression test also.

4. Someone bypassed the fusebox (and removed it)- also some other strange wiring. Oh well.

Might try to give it a spin up with the starter motor before too long. But will change oil first. No idea how long it has been sitting, but I think since the 90’s perhaps.

I pulled off the quarter fairing- looks to be an ABS type setup- maybe one of the ‘Dicks Cycle’ ones?
Tomeselli clip-ons. Anyone looking for a pair? (I’m going back to stock).

always interesting getting into a new bike.

Mark

#12 ·
It has period Marzocchi with those gas ‘canisters’ on the side.
Marzocchi Strada. Probably an OK shock in back the day (late 70s), but pretty crap compared to more modern stuff. You can get very good 'classic look' shocks with adjustable damping these days.

Those old Marzcchi Stradas are fully rebuildable and all the parts are readily available. So they are worth something to people wanting to restore bikes that were originally fitted with them. If you replace them, put them on ebay. Someone restoring a bevel Ducati will give you good money for them.

#13 ·
Yes, I was planning on replacing those with something modern. Not sure what yet, any suggestions?

#14 · (Edited)
Update:
I have been checking some wiring- checking compression, deciding on what needs to be done.
I replaced the ignition switch (no key) and cleaned up some contacts, put a few jumpers in...
the engine cranks over on the starter, had great spark and loads of really poor connections. (Likely building a new wiring harness, if I can find good wire).
Compression on #6 is low, oil in the cylinder brought it right up. Possibly stuck, worn or broken rings.
No idea is ‘smooth top’ or ‘pop up’ pistons, or A/B size.

Reactions: Neil1400
#15 ·
Popped the engine out today. Tried using my cherry picker with an engine ‘leveler’ to get the rear raised properly.
Worked a treat.
I had to take it off the lift, since I couldn’t get the legs under the lift. But this worked quite well.

Automotive tire Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Tread
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: wachuko
#16 ·
Head came off easily. I wasn’t to sure about the cylinder. It took my awhile, warming it up, gentle tapping etc. but once it started to rock I knew I had it.

#6 piston (Manual says #1 is left, although the handmade labels were opposite) had two stuck rings, just like I thought. A little bit of rust on that cylinder, but light enough I think it will hone out well.

Now I have to figure out how to remove the alternator rotor. Manual says to use a pin in the tool kit. Yeah, like that is still with the bike..
anyone know the size of that pin?

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Grille Vehicle
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Automotive wheel system Gas

Reactions: R Powell
#18 ·
Yes! Sorry, forgot to write back. At first I thought the package was damaged, but then realized it was just creative packaging (worked great).

#20 ·
I miss my Europas. I was pretty dumb to sell the last one especially. I did a ‘body off’ on it, and while certainly no show car, it was really a good driver and looked great. I hope the guy I sold it to is still enjoying it, although I have not heard in many years.
I have not been on any Europa forums in ahwile- could have been the ‘yahoo group’ one that is gone too?

Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle
Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Wheel

#22 ·
Also, if you are still looking for the alternator rotor removal tool, you can get them from Moto Guzzi parts people. Gutsibits in the UK have them on their web site:

https://www.gutsibits.co.uk/pr/TheS...tor&f=d&Model=7&search=SEARCH&spPage=2#topbar

I see you are in the States, so you will probably want to look somewhere more local to you, but at least you can see what you're looking for. It is really just a long bolt, but it needs to be strong as you will need a lot of torque to pop you rotor off ( in my experience ).

#23 ·
Thanks,
I did get the long bolt type tool, I’m replacing the alternator with the higher output permanent magnet one from endurolast. The rotor came right off with the tool.

Mark

#24 ·
I split the cases this morning. One thing I noticed when I took a connecting rod cap off- the manual says: The locating teeth should face the front of the engine.
At least on the one I took off, it was facing the rear.

Does anyone know if the manual is correct for that? I have not taken the rest off, although the weight marking on them is sometimes toward the front, sometimes toward the rear- so I suspect the rods are in both directions...

I have seen signs the engine has been at least part way apart- looks to me like the locking rings on some nuts have been re-used. But no other signs. It is a later bike, so I don’t think it would have been part of the gearbox recall. (I certainly could be wrong on that). Gearbox looks great. Bearings look pretty good, but I’m going to replace them- I do see some wear. I have not measured clearance yet (out of Plastigauge).

thanks for any help.
Mark

#27 ·
Some updates.
One of my big orders was lost by the Post Office. Even with pictures and detailed description nothing has been found.

So they finally admitted they lost it and the supplier has shipped replacements - along with (hopefully) all the bearings etc I need.

I’ve been working on the wheels. I had a spare rear, so I pulled it apart, vaporhoned the hub, polished the rim. I got a set of Stainless Spokes/nipples from Buccannan. The rear is together, I’m trueing it now.
Then I took apart the front (interesting setup)- vaporhoned it, polished rim and I’ve gotten it all together and trued.

Next I’ll do the original rear, a 4-shoe drum I’m putting on my 73 250 SuperSport (off a 2C).

Wheel Automotive tire Tread Bicycle tire Synthetic rubber

#29 ·
yes, the big order coming right now is from him. I’ve gotten quite a bit of stuff from him. Also Benelli-Bauer, but Detlef has a LOT better communication.

thanks

#30 ·
I’ve been working on a 78 750 sei for awhile, although I have not done anything much to it over the winter. I’ve gotten rolling on the engine.
Waiting for some head stuff from Germany (no email or anything of course).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.