Benelli Forum banner

Benelli Sport Special Ignition/Lighting switch (!)

909 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Sprocket 
#1 ·
Hi,

Dare I ask about the switch on my 125 Sport Special?
The bike is back together, wiring fitted (but no battery yet) and a strong spark when the switch is bypassed, but nothing when the switch is connected in. By asking around and fiddling I’ve established that the problem is that the ‘key’ is not pushing the spring steel contact apart and so the points are earthed all the time. I’ve tried a thicker nail but to no avail.

Question ... does anyone know what the mechanism is that pushes the spring apart? Is there a ball bearing/spring inside that could have gone awol? Is there a fix?

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
You are using the correct key, yes?

I know on my 250, there is a definite ‘click’ as the key is pushed all the way down. Just a little up and it kills the engine. I’ve accidentally moved it up when turning it to turn on the headlamp before.

I have not dismantled the switch - so I’m not sure what the mechanics of it really are.

Mark

#6 ·
To finish this thread off.

I had (another) close look at the switch and realised there was a hole behind the spring strip which should have had a ‘pusher’ in it that pushes the spring strip apart from its contact when the key is inserted. This ‘pusher’ was missing. Cue an hour in the garage with a hacksaw and file. Having calculated the length needed I cut down a socket face screw and filed the cut end into a half dome and managed to fiddle it into the hole. Fortunately it was the right length and the key forced it out breaking the contact, allowing a spark. I had to file a second groove in the key so it would go fully home but now it all seems to be working!

On to the next issue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.