Benelli Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
5,891 Posts
Exide ytx14-bs cold cranking amps is only 250. The Lithium battery I use is significantly more powerful at 360 CCA, but a 250 CCA battery should supply significantly more at 20C. It should be ok new, but in 3 years time it is doubtful.
When a 900 triple is hot, 200 Amps is not enough. An 1130 needs more so Benelli produced a lower gearing for the starter. If you have installed this then you are doing the best you can.

If it is cranking when hot, even slowly, the sprag clutch is fine.

The starter motor brushes/commutator might need cleaning. It's worth checking since it is relatively easy to get to.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Thanks Engenia for that informations :) I can sleep better now. I will check starter motor and clean it. Thanks again :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Ok, today We checked thermostat, and that was the problem. My Benelli was getting 104*C and there was no cooling. Fans were working nearly whole time (when +20*C outside). Now, it's better. If Engine gets around 104*C, fans turns on, and temp is going down immedietly. But still, tbh i think, that engine is littlebit too hot. I think I should look for some upgrades to radiators etc. - I really want to have 90*C most of time. I know, when it's +30*C its hard to maintain that temp, but still, i want a bit lower temp :) After this, my problem with slow cranking is gone. I mean it was only when engine was super hot, so i think everything is ok now.

Can u please tell me sth about fuel consumption? I mean, that I have bike from 2005, so i have very rich map. Bike is amazing, but +10l/100km is a bit too much i guess What map should i use? Or i just should go to my local tuner and tune it by myself? :) I found few maps on this forum and Engenia page, but idk which one is the best one. I have flaps in airbox and this little thing on exhaust. I have full exhaust with manifold with dbkillers (riding without them is painfull for my head and ears).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Glad you've found the cause of the high temperature issue you had.
10L/100km sounds a bit much to me .
I have a Tre 1130 K. I know the engine may be slightly different on the cams but you should be able to tune it to get better miles per gallon . I've just had 43mpg on my last fill up with my new Arrow can fitted .
There's a map here you could try as a base to start .
TREK401modifiedMap.zip
https://www.dropbox.com/s/5c8sxxzto4fa2jx/TREK401modifiedMap.zip?dl=0

It's from a forum member on here that had his bike tuned on a Dyno .

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
And thats it. I know why my Benny is overheating. It's head gasket. We tested today for CO2 in coolant, and result was quite obvious. So... :) That would explain a lot.
:bawl::bawl:
At least after thermostat removing, fuel consumption dropped to 9.4/100km (from nearly 12l/100km). I have to sing "Always Look on the Bright Side of Life" heh :rolleyes:

Don't worry, i will not burry Benny. That little beast will ride till end of the world, and one day more :eek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
I hope too. :) But to be sure, I will check everything there, valve, valve gaskets, leaks, - etc. :) Someday in the future this will be a real pearl :eek: I hope :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Hello there :)
I have few updates. My head gasked is replaced, The head is planed, new valve seals, valves are adjusted (like in service manual 35-40 and 30-35), new timing chain sliding (couse it was broken). But (as always it has to be this "but :() there is some problems. First of all, i have quite big "choke" about 1,5-2.5 rpm, later its ok. Idle rpm's are little bit nevrous. We will check timing chain tommorow, just to be sure, maybe the timing chain has jumped slightly. But the biggest problem is that, that he still overheating. I mean, we connected it to the computer, and it getting 90*C quite fast (after 1-2min) and then temperature is rising, and rising and rising. When it hits ~103*C fans turning on, but there is no big change then, its getting up to 110*C and staying there (its on idle). The head was checked and they said it was tight for sure, no leaks or sth. So, to be honest - wtf is going on? Is it normal, that kind of temperature? Its so annoying, couse when bike has ~90*C its amazing, but when he hits temperature like +104 its running littlebit like tractor - and not starting very well, even after brand new z25 changed. (i will not mention about my eggs getting boiled :eek:)

Do u have some ideas? Im reading whole forum, and in one post i can read that this is normal temperature for those, and someone else saying that it should be 90*C. My mechanic saying same, that it should be around 90*C mostly of time, and getting +100 only while standing too long in traffic. Another headache :( I'm starting to thinking, that i should've stayed with Honda :(

·
5,891 Posts
.. it getting 90*C quite fast (after 1-2min) and then temperature is rising, and rising and rising. When it hits ~103*C fans turning on, but there is no big change then, its getting up to 110*C and staying there (its on idle).
Is your thermostat ok?
Is your radiator blocked?
Do you have an airlock?
I'm starting to thinking, that i should've stayed with Honda
Maybe. Depends on what you want from a bike.
Hondas have their own problems as do all machines. I've been there. Wouldn't go back, unless it was a track bike, but I've already got a gixxer for that (K2 750). It doesn't handle as sweetly as Nell and the gixxer brakes aren't as good, but I don't care if I throw it down the track or if I blow i up.
the timing chain has jumped slightly
1 tooth won't cause destruction. 2 is bad.
You need to find out why it happened and fix this now.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
I removed thermostat before all of this. So there is no thermostat. I guess all of this is becouse thermostat failure. I mean, previous owner propably overheated engine, and just sold it (unfortunettly i bought it). I guess thats why headgasket was "broken".

Radiators looks fine, but what u mean about Airlock? :)

By saying this about Honda i mean that my CBF600 was indestructible :) I really love this Benelli style, and riding capability - this is the greatest bike I ever ride, but there is problem, that i can't ride it at all :( I bought it more than 1 year ago, and didint ride it even once without stress... :(

Bike is still with my mechanic, im not riding right now :) I guess he will find out whats going on soon, but I'm little bit impatient and I'm looking for some advises

·
5,891 Posts
Radiators looks fine, but what u mean about Airlock?
Get the radiators flow tested. There may be a blockage.
I don't think that the TNT has the same issues as the Tornado, where an air pocket can form around the thermostat. That reduces the total coolant volume with obvious results - not dissimilar to what you are experiencing.
Check out the coolant circuit to make sure that there is no possibility.

The other thing that just occurred to me, is that the pump impeller could be loose, or its shaft not located properly.
If that happens, it will grind itself away on the pump body.
This happened to me, and I only discovered it when I removed the pump to replace it with an electric one.
If the pump efficiency has been compromised, the flow will be lower than it should be and the temperature will rise, until it boils.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Thanks for those advises. I will check it today or tommorow and let u know. I forgot to mention, that my radiators hoses are bit tough (stiff/hard). Not like before headgasket replace, but still a bit hard, I'm not sure that they should be like this. I know, that there is some pressure in cooling system, but i guess there is too much. I'm littlebit scared thats sth is wrong with engine block or head is leaky inside :( I hope its not like this, and ur advises will be helpful :) Thanks again, I will keep u update

·
5,891 Posts
..my radiators hoses are bit tough (stiff/hard). Not like before headgasket replace, but still a bit hard, I'm not sure that they should be like this. I know, that there is some pressure in cooling system, but i guess there is too much.
Run it from cold with the radiator cap off. If you have a leak into the cooling system you should see bubbles.
Alternatively, an over-pressurised system will release fluid via the radiator cap to the expansion tank and from there to the ground, so you'll be constantly topping it up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Ok, sth strange happend today. Firstly, we was checking why is he choking at low rpm's. And the reason for this was those freaking flaps inside airbox. The cable was loose, so we tightened it and the bike stopped choking - we tried before without those flaps and it was tragedy. But i can see that on this lower engine map, throttle reaction is normal, but i have less power - like it should be i guess. But on this better map i can feel more power, but throttle are still little bit choky in low rpm's. Can it be becouse of CO settings in computer? Or can i do sth with this only using CO values etc. They are 1.00 on both maps, we didin't changed them. I dont have Tuneboy or sth like this.

And here is this strange part - overheating dissapeard. We didn't do anything about this, when we was testing those flaps, bike got temperature as always - pretty fast, and then when fans turned in, he immiedtly cooled down - temperature was normal, and overheating disapeard. Radiators hoses are normal, not stiff like before. I have no clue why, seems like it repaired himself :D

Timing chain was ok, just like he should be.

Tommorow i will test Benelli a bit, so will see what future will gives me :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ok, i have update for u :) I was riding a little, and this is other bike. Yea, he is like diffrent bike. Engine, throttle reaction, power, idle - everything. No choking, no shooting, just ordinary (very pretty, exotic and fun) bike :D Maybe this Itally automotive isn't that bad as I used to think last months :D
We changed CO value to 1.5 for both maps, and this other setting to 1.5 too - from 1.00 to 1.50. We are using TEXA diagnostic interface. So for now, this problem is solved.

About temperatures. Mostly, when i riding its about third (this big one) indicator on gauge. So its about 90*C like it should be. But after 10-15 min of riding, or if i ride behind other car, or inside city temperature is about 95-100*C. Sometimes it hits about 104*C, then fans cooling it down. When im riding outside city, its mostly about 90 - 95*C - but i can see, that this gauge has little lag, i mean he is working a bit lazy. My feelings are much diffrent, i mean no more egg boiling, engine feels much cooler. Every problem with starting when hot dissapeard. I guess it was couse high engine temperature and sth inside was blocking couse of thermal expansion. It's amazing to be able to refuell bike and not have to wait 15 min to start it again :D I read other post here, and i think that those temperature are normal for this engine.

I will ride more tommorow, and test it more :) Hope everything will be fine from this moment, couse i really want to make this bike unique one :) For now, after 1 year of waiting i can finally enjoy my motorbike :D

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Ok, im little confused right now. Its good, but its not good in same time. I mean, when i start bike (cold one) its getting 90*C after 2-3 min, and then holding 90*C for another 10-15 min. Then, after 10-15 min engine holds 104-100*C if i'm riding slow behind other cars, or 95-100*C if im riding freely. When i stop, temperature is rising to about 104*C and then fans kicking in. Before head gasket replace, temperature was rising and rising, even very close to the red zone. Now its stick to about 100*C. I don't know what to think about this all :( Is it normal or not? Im reading whole forum, and watching riding clips on YT, and one Benneli has got same as mine, other holds 90*C. So why mine is ****ed, and holds about 100*C mostly of time? Even when i was testing it today on highway it was about 97*C whole time - i wasn't speeding, just about 140km/h on 6gear, 4k rpm. By saying those values, I mean what computer was saying. I mean 90*C was on 3rd indicator, and 104*C is just in the middle between 3rd one, and 4th. My temperature indicator is sitting in the middle between those two. Little bit lower than middle while riding, or little bit higher than middle when idle. As i said before, no thermostat, radiators looks fine, fans are working, coolant is good one, not the cheapest. So is it normal guys? This engine is that hot normally, or sth still is wrong?

I think that cooling system is little over-pressurised. When its about 90*C radiator hoses are very soft, but when temperature rise to the 100-104*C they are getting a bit stiff. Not like before head gasket, but still... My mechanic told me that motorcycles don't bleed the cooling system. They should bleed on their own. Maybe mine didn't completely, and that's the problem? What do you think about this?

I'm little confused about temperature sensor. I mean he is laggy, i know this, but - today i hitted 4th indicator on gauge once. Month ago, even after Z25 replaced it was quite hard to start it. Now he started beautifly. Its strange

Other thing is, this embarrasing shitty headlights turning off when fans are running on idle. Can i do sth with this - sth other than new map, couse i will do it, but next year i guess. Till this time, can i do sth with this?

Ehh... I love this Benelli and hate in same moment :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Sounds like you've had a lot to deal with reading all these posts.

As for the slightly raised temperature have you considered your fuel mapping may be a little too lean .
I suggest you get hold of a good map for your engine .

The other issue you have with hot start could just be Z25 or a weak starter motor / starter bushes failing .
Also it could be the stepper motor not functioning properly when hot ( cleaning it may help) my stepper motor needed changing as it wouldn't work properly and I had to seal around the plastic housing to stop un metered entering.

I notice you have tested alternator and have a new battery ...
I also had a motobatt battery and had lots of problems with it not doing its job properly . My advice is get the best battery money can buy either a lithium or a Yuasa lead acid . highest CCA you can find .

I'm pretty sure your nearly there now , a few extra °c on the guage won't make a big difference in enjoyment .

Happy riding buddy

·
5,891 Posts
As for the slightly raised temperature have you considered your fuel mapping may be a little too lean .
I concur!
I once reduced the idle AFR to ~10.5:1 to see what would happen to the idle temperature. The engine didn't like idling so rich but the temperature didn't climb relentlessly like it does when set properly.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Thanks for ur answers :) So as i though, i have to make sth with engine map.
I'm still testing fuel consumption too, wasnt ride much last days. After about 130km it was about 12,5l. So its something like 9-9,5l / 100km - I was testing this on city and highway so its may be a little higher than normal riding. I will ride tommorow and will see fuel consumption in city :) So I guess its everything becouse of broken early map - other thing is, that im second owner of this bike, and it looks like previous owner didint changed this engine map - It's strange :D

To be honest, Im thinking about adding one more cooler in front. I think that will help keeping engine much cooler, I will post u then and let u know is this a good idea :)

Thanks again for ur answers, have a nice day :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Ok, i was riding today and my fuel consumption was around 12l/100km. I think its quite accurate, becouse i filled it up to the top, reset trip, made 100km, and than filled up again. (I was checking distance on GPS in phone, just to be sure that it's accurate). Did it twice, and same result both times. I know this engine is thirsty, but c'mon... 12l / 100km with normal riding? I wasnt speeding, i wasn't riding in traffic, mostly crusing in open roads. So i guess "lean mixture" isn't a issue here - i guess opposite :)
I guess that those temperatures are becouse of it then - I mean too rich mixture. I smell like petrol station, Exhaust exit is like black hole, and when I rev it up, black smoke coming out like in old Diesel :D Other thing is that engine is still stall sometimes, but only if he is hot (so mostly of the time) and if i clutch in to shift gear down, or idle - then he starts beautifully, not like before all of this - but still it's not normal that he stall by himsefl I guess or is it? :rolleyes:

As u said me before, and looking to other posts in forum, for sure i have stock engine map (This embarrasing headlights thing) - what is enormous strange, that previous owner was riding like this for 14 years :confused::confused:

Im thinking about dyno and ecu remapping with professional tuner, but unfortunately there is no professional tuner near my city that is tuning Benelli's. Closest one is about 400km from here, and its imopossible to me to go there this year. Price for that service is other thing that is making me sad :D

I read some posts about TuneECU - as I see it's free. I have diagnostic interface from TEXA (i mean my friend mechanic have this). So what u think? Can I do sth with this using this interface? In this interface (TEXA one) there is only CO value setting, combustion correction (im not sure that this is a good translation), TPS sensor setting and sth with Injector setup - and of course other things like deleting errors etc. Or i have to buy Walbro ECU cables to be able to install new map?

Sorry that im asking that much, and again, and again, and again, but im really depressed about all this. I mean i bought this bike more than year ago, and never ride it without any stress, testing or observing. I really dream to ride somewhere farer, without thinking that i will stop in the middle of the road, becouse engine died, broken or who the hell knows what else :(

21 - 40 of 55 Posts