Benelli Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I left my bike sitting over Christmas, when I got back on it I noticed my Speedo wasn't working.
Went back out to the bike 2 days later and it was completely dead. Tried to charge the 12v battery but it was on 6v and jumping up to 8v and down while charging so I assumed the battery was bad.

I went out and bought a brand new battery put it in, Speedo was working again. I get back on it the next day and the Speedo wasn't working again and now a few days later the bike is completely dead once again, with the brand new battery this time. Has anyone had a similar problem?

I'm quite new to bikes and mechanically clueless. Any help on a diagnosis for the problem would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

· Registered
Benelli 1130TNT 05
77 Posts
There could be a parasitic drain on the battery. Simple check is to charge the battery and leave the neg wire disconnected for a day or so and when you go out for a ride reconnect the black neg cable on see if it is ok. As the battery has been disconnected it should work as normal then if the next time you leave it connected it is flat again there must be a drain through the wiring
You would then have to check the amperage draw across disconnected neg (black) and neg - on the battery with a multimeter and systematically disconnecting electrical components in the system. ie the clocks multiblock!
The amperage draw if any is ok if less than 0.05 amps (alarm or clock Will stay active)
A more in-depth how to should be looked up on line but the testing is the same for most electrical systems

1 - 2 of 2 Posts