Benelli Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,779 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This article appeared in the 'Motorcycle Sport and Leisure' mag a few months ago. In case you missed it here it is:-

Benelli to enter MotoGP

The depleted grids of the MotoGP class will receive a welcome boost in 2008, with the arrival of a two-rider team from Benelli. Alan investigates the importance of competition for the now Chinese-owned Italian marque.

Benelli has been absent from the Grand Prix paddock since 1973, when Walter Villa (later to win four world titles in the 250cc/350cc classes with Harley-Davidson} raced a solitary four-cylinder entry in the 350c and 500cc classes. Dissatisfied with the results, company owner - Argentinian entrepreneur and former car racer - Alejandro de Tomaso, pulled the Italian factory out of racing and since then, the Pesaro-based factory's only involvement with competition was in 2002-3, when Peter Goddard rode the prototype three-cylinder Benelli Tornado in the World Superbike Championship, without any significant success.
In a move likely to have long-term significance for the global motorcycle industry, Benelli was purchased last October by Qianjiang, China's largest motorcycle and scooter manufacturer. Thereafter, Benelli production restarted in January after being suspended since June 2005, while Qianjiang president Lin Hua Zhong publicly committed the new Benelli QJ company to producing 3000 bikes in 2006, increasing to 5000 in 2007 and 10,000 in 2008. Qianjiang's investment in the company will be targeted at establishing a full range of products bearing the historic Italian badge by 2010.
Five new models will enter production during 2006 alone, and Benelli has already reserved a massive 450sqm stand for Intermot 2006, at which it plans to present no fewer than 20 new models for 2007. No, that's not a misprint....
Winner of the 2003 China Exporter of the Year competition, and an official sponsor of the 2008 Peking Olympics, Qianjiang (pronounced Xhin-jung') began making motorcycles in 1985, and is now the market leader in China, producing more than 1.2-million powered two-wheeled vehicles and two-million engines every year. Around 80 per cent of which are motorcycles up to 250cc in capacity, and the rest scooters - Qianjiang exports 20 per cent of its production under the Keyway name, mainly to the USA, South America and Europe.
Of its 9000 employees, more than 2000 are engineers, and under the business plan unveiled by Lin Hua Zhong, the Chinese have big plans for Benelli, which extend some way beyond merely saving one of Italy's historic trophy marques from extinction.
As part of this process, Mr Lin has confirmed that his new Italian subsidiary will return to racing at the highest level in the near future. "Within the next two years, Benelli will enter MotoGP-either in 2007, or more likely in 2008," he reveals. "We already have an 5OOcc MotoGP engine under development for the new formula coming into existence next year, and are closely examining the best way to take part in this prestigious category, either with our own factory race team, or with an outside partner. Probably, we will work with an existing team to begin with, while we gain understanding of the challenge which (VIotoGP represents, and measure ourselves against our rivals. We believe competing in MotoGP is a good way of obtaining recognition of Benelli as an important manufacturer, and showing the excellence of our technology, as Benelli grows in size and expands its range of products."
And it doesn't end there: Benelli is also planning to compete once again in World Superbike, once the impending restructuring of the capacity limits and technical regulations sought by Ducati and other twin-cylinder manufacturers has been completed, with the expected raising also of the capacity limit from the present across-the-board 1OOOcc for three-cylinder bikes such as Benelli's new 1130 Tornado triple. "We will do one thing after another," asserts Mr Lin. "First MotoGP, then World Superbike, if they modify the rules to allow us to take part with the bikes we sell in the marketplace which, so I understand, is the purpose of the modified production Superbike class."

Watch this space...

·
341 Posts
quote "We already have an 5OOcc MotoGP engine under development

very realistic and professional... Benelli would better get a test right before making such declarations. What about answering e-mails? They failed even this test.

Aprilia is not in MotoGP, MVAgusta is not on MotoGP and Benelli is announcing participation as "an important manufacturer"? Come on... How many bikes were sold this year? What is the list price of a Tornado Tre and what is the trade price? These people have no shame?

Who is up to write an open letter through the press to Mr. Lin?

·
Administrator
972 Posts
From my assessment after having seen them both at the Indianapolis dealer expo and at Intermot, the Chinese have been pumping lots of money and effort into Benelli. Seeing them at Intermot was the real real eye opener. It was not outwardly apparent that they were Chinese owned as I did not see any of the QJ people anywhere near the booth. The Europeans run the business and are allowed to run it the way they see fit when given the resources. Oliver Glaser CEO is a very capable person and I was impressed with his crew and how well they responded to my inquiries at their booth.

I have no doubt that the issues you see regarding customer service and support is due to the fact that they are growing fast and have lots of gaps to fill. I think you will see those gaps close very shortly. Benelli will be a company to watch. I have no doubt they will endeavor in their efforts to go racing. The Chinese will not go back on an announcement like that once it has been made public.

·
1,841 Posts
500 moto gp bike

Do you think someone should tell benelli that they will struggle with 500 cc when every one else has 800cc ?:doh:

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Do you think someone should tell benelli that they will struggle with 500 cc when every one else has 800cc ?:doh:

:rolling: :rolling: I noticed that yesterday, but forgot to blag another post by raising the point! I wonder if that announcement is 5 years late!:doh:

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Hmmmm, this will definately be something to keep a look out for. It's a bold statement that they are making (if it's true) although I would have thought that they would have entered the WSBK series first and then move on to MotoGP if that was successful, not the other way around.

Still, let's just see what happens shall we;)

Al

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm confused

I seem to remember reading last onth (or the month before) in one of these 5 minutes with..... columns in Bike or TWO that they spoke to a senior guy at Benelli ( I believe he was Italian rather than Chinesse) that he said the GPs rumours were untrue as they didn't have the capital to fund such a move and mooted the ill fated WSB entry as an example.

I wish I could find the article. If I can I'll scan it and post it up

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Now that really would be a scoop if you could find that article Nique;)
Let's hope you can dig it out so that we could all have a read:D

Al :spank:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts