Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a great interest in this bike, I have been in love with it for many years and on more than one occasion I almost bought one of them.

However, there are a few things I don't know about this bike. Let's see if together we can draw some conclusions.

What I know about this bike (I hope I'm not wrong):
The Benelli Tornado 650 was manufactured from 1972 to 1976 in Italy, a time when Benelli was in the hands of the Argentinean businessman Alejandro De Tomaso. It has a carburettor engine with two cylinders in line with 4 valves (2 per cylinder) with 643 cc that produces 52 hp air-cooled.

It has a 5-speed transmission and spoked wheels with drum brakes front and rear.

However, the information I can't find is as follows:

• In which city was it made? I suppose it was in Pesaro, but I don't know the data in which the Pesaro factory was working. At that time Benelli owned more Italian motorbike factories, like Moto Bi, and maybe they used some other factory of the same business group.
  • For the same reason... Does it share engine or parts with any other bike? I wouldn't be surprised if some Moto Bi had the same engine.
  • The more technical question... How many degrees is the crankshaft angle?

Thanks and Ráfagas

·
Registered
194 Posts
In reply to your technical question, the engine has a 360 degree crankshaft. Like the BSA, Triumph, Norton etc.
There is also a Motobi bike, which is the same but with the Motobi badge.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I should add, road tests from the time said that the bike did not vibrate like the British twins. This was because the engine was rubber mounted.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a great interest in this bike, I have been in love with it for many years and on more than one occasion I almost bought one of them.

However, there are a few things I don't know about this bike. Let's see if together we can draw some conclusions.

What I know about this bike (I hope I'm not wrong):
The Benelli Tornado 650 was manufactured from 1972 to 1976 in Italy, a time when Benelli was in the hands of the Argentinean businessman Alejandro De Tomaso. It has a carburettor engine with two cylinders in line with 4 valves (2 per cylinder) with 643 cc that produces 52 hp air-cooled.

It has a 5-speed transmission and spoked wheels with drum brakes front and rear.

However, the information I can't find is as follows:

• In which city was it made? I suppose it was in Pesaro, but I don't know the data in which the Pesaro factory was working. At that time Benelli owned more Italian motorbike factories, like Moto Bi, and maybe they used some other factory of the same business group.
  • For the same reason... Does it share engine or parts with any other bike? I wouldn't be surprised if some Moto Bi had the same engine.
  • The more technical question... How many degrees is the crankshaft angle?

Thanks and Ráfagas
Crankshaft is 360 degrees. The engine design is closely related to the moto bi 250 egg engine. Both designed by Snr Prampolini. However there are no interchangeable parts. The first series of Tornado bikes were for sale late 1970. Only around 3,000 were ever built.
The engine is NOT rubber mounted, but many cycle parts were rubber mounted. and yes it does vibrate like any 360 degree 650 twin. :)
A small number of them were badged as Moto bi.

·
Registered
1978 750 sei
186 Posts
I never thought about the Tornado engine being closely related to the egg 250…but I see it now that you pointed it out.

I liked the Tornado I had, although it did vibrate a lot and a little heavy. Handled really well and braked well.

Reactions: Romaldo

·
Registered
24 Posts
I never thought about the Tornado engine being closely related to the egg 250…but I see it now that you pointed it out.

I liked the Tornado I had, although it did vibrate a lot and a little heavy. Handled really well and braked well.
Agreed, and yes I think it's a bit heavy for a 650 twin, the frame seems to be made of Lead!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow! I never thought I would get so much information. Thank you very much.
It just goes to show what a high standard this forum is.

So... Is the Benelli Tornado 650 S and its engine an original Benelli project?
I guess both the bike and the engine were made in Pesaro.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts