Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I wouldn't buy it ... not even for spares:D Some parts of the bike look really grubby to me:confused:

Al:eek:

·
1,841 Posts
no engine

OK WHO BOUGHT THE ENGINE ?
By the way anyone got a blown engine :blowup: they dont want ? I would love to have a good look inside !

·
1,841 Posts
Yeah ! that could be an excuse for a holiday to Aus...... ;)
By the way, did you say you changed your cam chain ? was it a pig ? are you putting details on your site ? Cheers Mate..

·
5,967 Posts
cam chain replaced

I changed the cam chain just before Christmas. Only took me 3 days, but I was being extra careful. I followed the manual for 2 days and it just didn't make sense. It was describing something that I didn't have. It says that the cam timing is adjustable, but mine is not. When I took the plunge, and followed what I was actually seeing in front of me, I had it back together in a few hours.

I've taken pictures & described the procedure I used, and will post it on my website when its ready, but basically :-

With no chain in place, the cams find a position that is not the timing point, so the chain must be installed a link loose on the driven side.
The inlet cam must be fitted without it's drive sprocket. A new chain won't move far enough to do it otherwise. I managed to remove the inlet cam without removing the sprocket, but only because the chain was worn.
To refit the inlet sprocket, I made up a lever to rotate the exhaust cam anticlockwise - removing the chain slack.

My chain had worn 0.5 mm in 272, about 0.2%. The absolute max (as I understand it) is 1%.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Tornado Cam Chain Replacement

I for one cannot wait for the cam chain swap information to hit your site. As a veteran of ducati valve adjustments and screwy manuals, I didn't want have to deal with the same disaster on this bike. Couple of quick questions for you:

I assume you have done numerous valve adjustments, what kind of wear have you seen? Can you remove the cams with the engine in the frame? How long did it take you to get the shims? Also, are they like the Ducatis where you need to mill down the shim to get to the intermediate sizes?

Thanks,
Dean

·
5,967 Posts
Cam chain replacement

Dean & Colin,
have a look at the technical section. I posted a link to the procedure I used to replace my chain. As I stated there, it's not complete, but the hard bit is.

I assume you have done numerous valve adjustments, what kind of wear have you seen?
I've checked them a couple of times, and surprisingly, they are growing. About half of them are 0.025mm bigger at 25,000 km, than they were at 13,000 km. I expected them to get smaller as the valve seat recessed.

Can you remove the cams with the engine in the frame?
Yes.
How long did it take you to get the shims?
I haven't had to change any shims yet, but will do soon.
The shims are 8.0 mm dia. & mine range from 2.10 to 2.40 in 0.05 increments. If they are available in 0.05 increments, I won't bother getting them ground to anything more accurate.

What size are Ducati shims?

·
1,841 Posts
cam chain

Hi Engenia, just read your cam chain method, very interesting !
So is that correct the camshaft drive sprockets have two bolts and two pins 90* apart ? Your photos are much better than the manual and i assume the chain can be removed complete ? Did you buy a new chain from Benelli or some other source ? I have a long way to go before I need a camchain, but if we get a good summer them miles will soon clock up, its nice to know it is not too bad a job to undertake. Thanks for your efforts I am sure they will helpful to a lot of Benellists! :clap:

·
5,967 Posts
cam chain replacment

Hey Colin, the camshaft drive sprockets have 2 bolts and 1 pin. The pin will fall out of the sprocket hole if you invert it, hence the need for care when you offer it up to the cam shaft.

The chain is endless. If it were split, the job would be WAY easier. To fit it, the phonic wheel and fixed guide must be removed, and of course, the cams.

The only source for the chain, as far as I know, is Benelli. I've tried a few manufacturers, but no luck yet. It cost me $AUS160 each for the chain & guide.

I hope the document is useful to others. In 2 years time, I'll need it myself!

·
5,967 Posts
I've checked them (the valve clearances) a couple of times, and surprisingly, they are growing. About half of them are 0.025mm bigger at 25,000 km, than they were at 13,000 km. I expected them to get smaller as the valve seat recessed.
Not sure if I've reported this before, but the reason they were growing, is because the valve stems were denting in the shims. The shims are too soft.
Makes it hard to calculate new shim sizes!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts