Benelli Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do you think i should do.:doh: Having read Enginas report on the Cam chain issue.:bawl: The fact that Benelli seem to make them out of cheese:bawl: He said don't go over 16000 miles. At pressent mine has done 15585 with no extra engine noise or rattle. I was on the phone the other day to a guy who has been in the motorcycle cam chain buisiness for over 20 years and was very shocked that Benelli have said to replace the chain at 15000:confused: he said on most jap bikes you don't even look to around 30000 before changing.So Angus and the rest of the forum should i go for it and set a Benelli milestone in cam chain life:clap: (I also want to go to Croft BSB next week which would take the millage to best part of 17000:bawl: )and risk the chance of blowing the bollocks out of it:doh: or stay at home till i can afford to have it replaced::mad: ps i don't push the engine that much just good gear changes and propper use of the throttle. I mean how many people do you Know can get over five and a thousand miles from a dunlop qualifier tyre and still have plenty of tread left to last into next year:clap: cheers lads.

·
Registered
297 Posts
tense

It would seem that checking your tensioner is very important....if the tensioner isnt tensioning the chain, and your chain is stretched/worn, thats when you run into problems. Its not a jap bike!

Checking your tensioner as per engenias writeup/webpage would be my next "thing to do" were I you :) Depending on what result that gives you, it'll tell you how stretched your chain is.

·
5,928 Posts
Unfortunately, checking the tensioner depth is only useful if you've been keeping tabs on it since new. You're looking for movement. If it stops moving, start to worry.
That said, my last chain stopped moving between 15,000 & 25,000 km. I was starting to worry, but, it was fine. Worn, but fine. See the stats here.

You can calculate the max depth by removing the tensioner spring & measuring it's length. The calc is on my site.

Your best bet, after you check the depth & spring length, is to remove the tappet cover and physically check the chain. With a small hook, you can grab the chain on the adjuster side of the engine, and test how much movement there is. It should be firm. Not solid or loose.

Next, remove the top guide, between the cam shafts, take some tension off the chain by either rotating the exhaust shaft anticlockwise (facing the engine from the RHS) a little, or, if the inlet shaft moves to take up the slack, rotate the inlet shaft clockwise - a little. With the tension off the chain between the 2 shafts, move an outer plate sideways over it's pin. If the notch is pronounced, change the chain. If you can barely feel a notch in the pin, the wear is minimal, & you should be confident it'll last another few thousand km's. Bear in mind though, this is a very subjective test.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the advice guys,:clap: by the way the weather is going at the moment:bawl: i'll have to go by boat anyway.cheers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts