Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am asking if anybody has any scientific proof on the Best Helmet to buy.
Price is no option, but I would like to know which manufacturer, can prove their helmet is more protective than others.

Fir example to be imported and used they must obey BS/ AStandard, which manufacturer can prove they exceed standard by X-amount.

labels are insignifigant here

thanks

·
Registered
256 Posts
This has been attempted, by "sharp" by UK govt. You get the science, but of course it does not show the full story.

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/search/r...del=0&type=0&rating=5&size=0&price=0&x=36&y=2

Personally I look for the manufacturer I trust - so major brands like arai, shoei, shark, ajv etc, and then research from there....currently shoei xr-1000, which only gets a 3 star from "scientific tests", but best helmet I have ever had for many reasons.
Also consider passive safety - all round vision, strap fastening (must be double d of course, but how is strap secured once fastened to stop annoying flapping?) I also swear by the pinlock "double glazing" systems....being able to see clearly comes high on my list. For me shoei have the visor nailed, and now I look for other brands to feature the same things such as the opening mechanism, lock down, real non mist in all conditions.

·
340 Posts
Personal preference really. I can only wear Suomy given the shape of my head that doesn't take easily Shoei or Arai, a bit loud at speed but excellent helmet, tested personally against the concrete, no scientific tets could replicate all possibilities on the street or track.
Schuberth is an excellent helmet but a bit bulky. Otherwise, there are different quality product lines made by any manufacturer.
And again, the best thing is to have it best suited for your head and not something that worked good on a dummy.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
over the years ive had all makes styles etc of lid but until you have a big off you dont really know how they fare up .recently i started using the flip type lid with great results .then pre my accident i bought a new takachi flipo type because it was a better fit less noisy than some well known brands .Then came my big off when on my buell , usual crack guy pulls out and bang .well yes i should be dead not only did i land on my head the bike hit me on the head and while continuing my air gymnastics to the delight of the spectators lol hit the deck and slid for quite away too face down so it was a good abrasion test.the end result well i`m alive and no damage to my brain .The helmet stayed in 1 piece and apart from the visor and chin bar abrasion looks ok (obviously not just kept as a souvenir ).Now this was a cheap lid under £100 quid but i`m told that lots of brands use the same shells ,so therefore i dont think there is what you can call a really bad lid ,i do however believe if its not a good fit then your protection is limited .I have now got a shark evoline to replace the takachi only reason was i could not get another as they are now rebranded something else and do not fit the same .the shark feels more for your dosh but its nosier at speed but its comfortable and a good fit and comes with a five tear warranty each to there own good luck

·
Registered
512 Posts
As above, all comes down to personal preference.

Try as many on as possible.

My previous helmet was a disaster...an AGV....wasn't cheap either. It was comfy enough however it looked absolutely massive. At 5'8 and having a large size I looked like a football on a cocktail stick.

And it used to start to lift off my head above 110mph!

Now got an HJC FS10 Black Carbon effort. Its got a sun visor which does come in handy and its light as hell - would highly recommend it

·
Registered
107 Posts
There are some brands produced by the same manufacturer and sometimes we pay more without knowing that actually you can get it cheaper (only the design is different)

For example: X-Lite = Nolan = Grex

Like Scotland already said try as many on as possible.

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts
I have an AGV helmet which is my favourite to wear but I have a Airoh flip helmet simply because it has the built in tinted Sunvisor which I find a great help, as I wear glasses to ride or drive the reactolite glasses don't work behind a normal visor, hence the Airoh helmet, although it's a lot noisier than my AGV one.

I haven't really looked but does anyone know if anyone makes a "fixed" helmet (as against a flip one !) with a built in tinted drop down Sunvisor ?

Ciao

:)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
It's all been said before, it's all about *your* personal fit AND preference/style.

All of the tests are flawed because they test in a uniform way and on types impacts in certain directions. Life is not quite to measured should you be so unfortunate to have an 'off'.
I've always hated helmet test where they state things like 'excellent fit' and 'very comfortable' etc. All very well but I don't have his headsize/shape.

Consider weight, whether the linings are removable/washable, ventilation, visor changing mechanism.
My choice, the Arai RX7 Corsair is based on fit, trusted manufacturer (with backup service) and style (I love the TT), also extremely light (1500g for XL). :)

·
Registered
513 Posts
My favourite lid is OGK massively underrated and a top bargain from Ebay suppliers

My touring lid is a nitro flip really plush lining double visor tops

Mark

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
I have had Hjc, caberg, Agv, and then I bought my first Aria

Now I only buy Aria, the fit and comfort is amazing and my local dealer is a five start dealer so its gets a free service etc. You can buy new cheek pads if required and they now have pinlock inserts

If you drop an Aria the dealer can send it away to get x-rayed

My wife has also now moved from hjc to shoie to aria/spike after she found her shoie was too open at the bottom for our TnT

I bought 2 Agv's at the one time, the flyer in Scottish flag form and both my wife and i dumped them as they hurt our ears/heads and the noise was unbearable

but everyones heads are different, but try finding a dealer to let you try a helmet out before you buy, only shop ive heard of doing that years ago was infinity

·
Still trying!
490 Posts
Have had a variety of helmets and relied on Shoei for years and then Arai came out with different shaped that shells suit me.

Having tested one very thoroughly earlier this year I am now convinced. Tried all the brands and bought another.

Current one is a 'Chaser' .. fits perfectly which is, of course, the most important thing of all.

Mike

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
always liked my aria's till i bought my shoei xr1000 so bloody light compared to my aria's the ventilation is great too, sometimes to good & i have to close the vents at the front, the only down side is that the front pad leaves a line on my fore head that stays there for over an hour but :bawl: thats the only down side to it!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Bought the Schuberth R1 after reading the write up on webbikeworld,mainly because it fits me like a glove(that doesn't sound correct).Very limited in designs and only gets 2 stars on sharp test but like I said fit was the main priority.
Visor mechanism is excellent and finish also very good.
By the way,can anybody workout those sharp ratings?

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
always liked my aria's till i bought my shoei xr1000 so bloody light ,,,,,
if I recall correct the XR1000's are being offered at £180 online at the moment!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts