Benelli Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,
I'm just about to start work on this 2006 1130 Sport by replacing the fork seals.What is the usual way of getting the front wheel off the ground without taking off the pipes and jacking the front from under the engine or hanging it from the garage roof beams?
Any simple (or other) solutions would be appreciated.
Cheers.
JMB
Western Australia

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hang it from the rafters
That's a PITA, I'll have to move the thing to the other 'not so convenient' w'shop area. I might take a look at making a single post to fit into the steering stem. Lift the back end on a paddock stand, jack up the front under the forks legs,then fit the single post into the steering stem, take away the fork leg jacks
I've seen paddock stands which lift the front end from under the steering head, not from the front axle but cant find one on line ?.
Not much help checking the head bearings, back to square one. Need another Emu Export.

·
Registered
2,225 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You need front paddock stand that lifts from the headstock.
Loads on ebay for about £50, such as Warrior Front Motorcycle / Bike Head Paddock Stand - Track / Race / Garage | eBay
Even better if you want to do the head races too is the Abbastand with front lifting attachment, this is fixed via the rear swing arm spindle, but more money again.
Loads on ebay for about £50, such as Warrior Front Motorcycle / Bike Head Paddock Stand - Track / Race / Garage | eBay
Even better if you want to do the head races too is the Abbastand with front lifting attachment, this is fixed via the rear swing arm spindle, but more money again.
Thanks for the heads-up on the Abba gear, they have an agent in Oz so I will follow up for suitable front / rear lifting gear, looks like stuff I could certainly use long term. Couldn't find a used Warrior type in Oz and cost for a one off fork legs out only ( no head bearings) adds a heap (GBP 100 delivered) to the cost of fork seals.
I'll go temporary lift now and Abba shortly.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
652 Posts
I built a centre lift one for the trek but it wasn’t as good as I would like. The pivot point is the swing arm pivot so the strain is massive to get the front wheel up off the ground.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I use Abba superbike stand with front wheel lifting attachment, find it very useful. I'd like to have the skylift version but not got room for it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I use Abba superbike stand with front wheel lifting attachment, find it very useful. I'd like to have the skylift version but not got room for it.
Thanks guys for all the useful info, it will all be well considered.I get a variety of machinery thru the 'hobby' workshop so something like a headstock lift could be very useful.
Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The more I get into this bike the more concern I have as to the viability of the rebuild and will not be spending any money on it before finding out just what is the situation.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I lifted it with an engine hoist and slings around the frame tube behind the steering head. Second time around I used the green SKF seals. They are far better than the first replacements, which were Ariete that didn't last long.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lifted it with an engine hoist and slings around the frame tube behind the steering head. Second time around I used the green SKF seals. They are far better than the first replacements, which were Ariete that didn't last long.
Good idea using an engine hoist. I'll check on the availability of SKF seals as things progress. I'm getting to the stage where it's becoming clear that the priority is to establish if the mechanical heart of the beast is sound, followed by the other critical attachments,electrical, injection, transmission etc are viable. All unknowns at this stage.
Thanks for your input.
Cheers.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
OK Guys,
Don't know if you have seen this, it is a very comprehensive vid of many servicing techniques for the TNT 1130.Covers, valve clearance check and ECU map checks as well as getting the front wheel off the ground to check steering head bearings.
A piece of cake.
Cheers.
JMB

1 - 12 of 12 Posts