Benelli Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Needing some advice - I am looking to buy a single bike trailler. Never trailerred a bike before always used vans but a trailer is now what I need.

There look to be a few single bike trailers on the market - anything to look out for? I would like one that either folds up or can be stowed away somewhere rather than fixed. Some tilt, some have a loading ramp.. Ease of use is a main consideration as there will be many times when I need to load and unload the bike on my own.

Any feedback appreciated.

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Buy a Van!

I have had bike trailers, Neil, although I have the van now, but one recurring problem I had was tyres blowing on the motorway! It happened twice, so make sure the tyres are of a rating suitable for the use you want to put it to, and make sure you have a serviceable spare wheel with you at all times.
Likewise, wheel bearings - I had a bearing disintegrate on the M5, locking the wheel, just as I was overtaking - !:doh: No great drama, as it happened; it remained stable. I got onto the hard shoulder, freed up the bearing, removing chunks of bearing cage, changed the wheel ( the tyre had a HUGE flat on it), and rumbled slowly home with a totally knacked bearing. They were under-specified for the job.
This was not on some old home build contraption, it was a professionally built trailer, with a galvanised chassis, dural checkerboard bed and ramp, and indispension set-up.
Another point to remember is that you are limited to 50mph on normal roads, 60 on motorways, and you cannot use the outside lane on a 3 lane motorway, so you get constantly stuck behind caravans, middle lane 50mph drivers, and there is bugger all you can do about it but sit there. I know to my cost, because I did use the outside lane near Gloucester, got pulled over by Old Bill, who took no account of my excuse that there are no 3 lane roads in Cornwall, so how was I to know?:confused: The twats had no sense of humour, fined me £60 + 3 points :doh:
At that point I decided I'd had enough of trailers and bought the van:ele: :D . Now I can wizz along in the outside lane, being white van man, tailgating anyone who gets in my way (not really:rolling: ), with my bike(s) warm and dry, not getting sprayed with crap from the tow car's wheels, etc :clap: :
So my advise, if you wish to do more than run around locally, would be - buy another van, not a trailer! There must be plenty being sold off cheap by official receivers at the moment...

Cheers

Ian

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
As Ian says, a van is THE option. But insurance, road tax and running costs put it into perspective for me and I opted for a large (750kg mgw) 3-bike trailer which has 13" wheels and tows well. The 3rd channel is also forward of the outer channels so a middle bike's bar's don't clash with 2 outers.

All depends what you tow onit and how far/how often.
Avoid 8" wheels, but 10" are ok. The smaller the wheel diam, the faster the tyre runs. Be very aware of your loading requirements. Galvanised chassis is essential to save constant re-paints.
Another issue with large wheels is that if using a sports bike a v.long ramp is required to avoid the belly-pan's paintwork. I learnt this recently to personal cost :(

·
Registered
864 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback guys. I will need to load and unload the bike myself singlehandedly a lot so probably going to go for this:

Linky

Video Here

A van is out of the question regarding the costs associated with it and also storage of it unfortunately.

This trailler looks good!

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
I brought a Trailer 2 weeks ago from Dave cooper trailers near Brands hatch in Kent. www.davecooper.co.uk It is a single bike trailer complete with a loading ramp, light board & spare wheel, it came to £340.00 which i thought was resonable as it is also Galvenised. I towed my Beloved Bike for the first time last weekend & i have to say that it was a doddle, i checked a couple of times enroute & it never moved an inch. see my thread (trailering a benelli)

·
Registered
417 Posts

·
ENGLAND FOREVER
1,565 Posts
Dino, what are you waiting for, a Benelli for the summer........thats the life mate :clap: :clap:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts