Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Came back after a 4 hour ride that was probably one of the top 3 rides in my 35 years of riding. The fall weather was perfect, the leaves were brilliant shades of red and orange, very little traffic on my favorite twisties. Just perfect.

For the first time in 2 years I took a hose to the bike to clean it off. I was real careful and avoided areas like the clocks, switch gear etc, I just basically hose down the bottom half of the engine, wheels and swingarm.
The bike sat for a week before I had the chance to start it up and she won't go. Battery is fully charged, lights, horn, clocks all work, no service icon on the clocks but it won't turn over. Nothin.
So I'm thinking I got some water somewhere where it doesn't belong and blew a fuse. I don't have access to my manual right now so is the main fuse block located under the battery?

Any ideas where to look guys?

Where could the water gotten into that is causing the problem.

I always leave the bike on a battery tender and the meter shows it is fully charged.

thanks in advance.

·
1,841 Posts
Bet its somthing silly ! Have you got neutral light on ? make sure it is in neutral. Make sure the stop button on right handlebar is ON. Is clutch pulled in ? Is stand down ? Remember if stand down then must be in neutral and clutch in to turn over. Easiest test is the switch on stand and clutch. Also the tip over switch will stop it turning over,not sure where it is on tnt though.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bet its somthing silly ! Have you got neutral light on ? make sure it is in neutral. Make sure the stop button on right handlebar is ON. Is clutch pulled in ? Is stand down ? Remember if stand down then must be in neutral and clutch in to turn over. Easiest test is the switch on stand and clutch. Also the tip over switch will stop it turning over,not sure where it is on tnt though.
Yup it's in neutral, clutch in and still nothing.

How do you test the neutral switch or side stand switch? I was spraying water in that area

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would have thought that after a week of sitting the water would have evaporated. I think you are right and it is something simple.

Checked the kill switch and it's in the proper position.
lol done that before

·
1,841 Posts
The stand switch should be made when raised and broken when lowered. The connector is under the petrol tank. The clutch switch is made when clutch pulled in. If the neutral light is on then the switch must be ok as it just earths when in neutral. Use a continuity tester.
Clutch switch more likely as the engine will start with stand down as long as clutch in and in neutral.
Is the stop button definatly in out position ?
IM looking at manual,there are 2 fuses behind the alternator the one on right is a spare.worth a check
also the fuse box is under the passanger saddle,check all these fuses with a continuity tester also.I think the starter fuse is 10 amps,but I would just check all of them. actually I think you can see when these fuses are blown anyway as they are see through.
Good luck.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Hi there

I believe the TNT is different to the Totnado in as much as even with the stand down and with it in gear it will still turn over off the start button - but not fire.
If the bike is not turning over and all fuses are intact, sounds like something has shorted out.
I have heard of a short developing in the loom that feeds the stop / tail lamp. Check your fuses and also the wiring to the rear light. See if there is anything there.
Best of luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I believe the TNT is different to the Totnado in as much as even with the stand down and with it in gear it will still turn over off the start button - but not fire.
Correct had that happen. Almost came off the side stand.

Where is the main fuse block on a TNT? I will check wiring to the rear lamp.

thanks

·
1,841 Posts
Also check the starter relay does it click when starter button pressed ?, worth removing and shaking and refitting, it is by the alternator.by the fuses,and other fuses are under passanger seat.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No clicking at all.
I checked the two fuses that are on the left hand side just to the right of the alternator and they are fine. These are the two fuses behind the white opaque covers.

so where is the main fuse block?

When I turn the key on I can hear the fuel pump.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Main fuse box is under the seat beneath the cover for the tools. A row of relays and the fuse box cover is on the right of the relays when sitting on the bike. Have not removed the cover off mine. Space a bit tight.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for that, I found and tested all of the fuses and they are ok.

Does anyone know how to test the relays? I don't have a clue how to do that?
Which on is the starter relay?

It's going to be a great day ride and I'd like to get out on the 'nelli.

Any other sugggestions?

·
1,841 Posts
Before you test the relay have you tested the clutch switch ? If you dont have a meter just pull back the rubber sleeve pull the 2 wires off and temp connect together. If it still dont go, check the starter relay. 1st You will need to find the relay coil connections (yellow and green wire and a black wire)and check with a voltmeter that 12 volts is applied when pressing starter button. If it is you have eliminated the control and safety side,if voltage is present and it does not click then it is prob the relay faulty. You can also put a voltmeter on the starter motor main + connection, (negative lead of meter to earth) if you get 12 volts here when pressing start button then it is the starter motor at fault.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Your brilliant, just brilliant.:ele: :bow:
It was the clutch switch.:doh:
Is this a part common to other brands that is easy to obtain?

Or is it a Benelli only part?

I thought it was water in a connection somewhere that blew a fuse.

Thanks my new found friend. It's 12 degrees C and sunny this is the time of the year where you have to make the most out of any sunny day.

I'm off to ride.

If anyone knows of aftermarket suppliers for this part let me know.

Gary

1 - 13 of 13 Posts