Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for this question guys, but I am a bit puzzled.

I am riding bikes for manymany years now. I received my Tornado with the original Dunlop tyres at a mileage of 1800km. So, I have 4800km mileage and the following problem: The rear tyre actually is in a good condition. I wonder about it coz I am not a slow rider (the others say). But I never experienced that he front tyre is absolutely done at this mileage. I mean... again, 4800km with a set of tyres is ok. But I never knew that the front tyre is done earlier than the rear.

Is it the tyre, which don´t have a good reputation? Is it some suspension settings? Do I have to lower the rear base to get less weight to the front? I am not sure if something was changed, but I guess Bennetts wouldn´t change the settings in an unreasonable way for no reason at all.

Sorry, but before I buy a new set of Pipos or Diablos, I thought I find an answer.

Thanks in advance
Dirk

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
My track day bike a zx6r is the same as this, the front is like an arrow and the back still has plenty on it

At our track the only way I can get past anybody on the 600 is to outbrake them [safely without making them sit up] and sometimes thats into the corner so the front is shagged but the rear still looks great

Do you ride like this on the road?

Suspension settings can also make this happen, has the bike been dropped at the front through the triple clamps?

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
I think this is something that is quite common Dirk with tyres that have done plenty of miles. I would imagine that this is because a lot of the pressure is put on to the front tyre whilst cornering and under braking. Being a narrower profile it would be more noticable than the rear. Unless of course you're N33ly or Dynamo then don't expect a set of tyres to last you more than a couple of weekend ride outs :rolling:

Al:D

·
1,841 Posts
The tornado does seem to eat the front tyre,the original 208 dunlops on mine wore out at about 3000 miles (both at the same time) the front wears a lot on the sides(the front middle was still good) I have tried corsa 3s and they wore out after about 3000 also equally with no squaring off at all.I have continental road attacks fitted now and although they are supposed to last forever (almost) the rear is hardly worn,but the front is about half worn on the sides.(done about 1500miles) The rear looks good for about 8000miles !
I think that the tornado engine with its smooth linear power and torque is kind to rear tyres,of course riding style and weight etc have a big effect on tyre wear also.I weigh about 15st and I do like braking late so that seems to explain the tyre wear on the front i get.The tornado is front weight bias 52/48 which is unusual,but is prob why they feel like on rails.
colin..

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
The tornado is front weight bias 52/48 which is unusual,but is prob why the feel like on rails.
colin..
Now that is unusual Colin. I expected more of the weight to be on the rear. I guess you learn something new everyday;)

Al:D

·
1,841 Posts
Al,the rad is behind so the engine can be further forward,I also use this fact when I need an excuse for not wheelying !;) Mind you if you have a lard arse then the weight coefficients tend to lean to the rear.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, late breaking when cornering can be a reason for the poor front tire. But i also tend to believe that it is so much weight at the front end.

Just wanted to hear your experience.

Thanks for your posts. I guess I will try the Michelin PiPo, dunno if I take the 2CT or the standard. Maybe the Tornado will eat the 2CT more than the standard

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
The tornado does seem to eat the front tyre,the original 208 dunlops on mine wore out at about 3000 miles (both at the same time)
MINE ONLY LASTED 1800 MILES & 650 OF THAT WAS RUNNING THE BIKE IN :bawl: I COULD TELL THE BIKE IS MORE FRONT HEAVY WHEN I BOUGHT IT COS IT TOOK ME QUITE A FEW RIDES TO GET USED TO IT I HATED THE BIKE AT FIRST BUT NOW WITH BETTER TYRES ON I BLOODY LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D

·
1,841 Posts
Sparkey you naughty boy ! , we all know that the gentle running in is for 1562.5 miles.Come on admit it you put it on the stand and got the bastard file out ?:)

·
Bald tattooed member
1,257 Posts
i felt like getting the file out just to wear them out i've never hated a set of tyres like that before:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts