Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm Adam, fifty something chap from Surrey. I have been away from biking for 10 years, but prior to that rode since I was 18, my last bike was an FJR1300. Last weekend I purchased privately a 2014 Benelli 900 Tornado Tre in red with 4400 miles. The previous keeper unfortunately succumbed to cancer last year and I bought the bike from his employer; a motor trader in Essex who had agreed to sell the bike (and five others!) for the man's widow. I rode it home from Essex last weekend in pouring rain, a journey that filled me with trepidation considering it was my first time out on two wheels in a decade. My first impression was that the engine and brakes were awesome but the suspension so hard that the expansion joints on the QE2 bridge felt like telegraph poles. My first job next week is to dial off some pre-load, and maybe some braking compression? It is apparent that it has had very little use: It was originally registered by In 2 Moto of Warrington and did 306 miles in 2 years (Demonstrator?). Since 2016 it has done about 1 K per year but of course had very little use in 2020 owing to the owner's illness. Looking through the history I can see that two years ago my predecessor engaged Hagon of Hainault to manufacture a bespoke rear shock for the bike for £375! I notice that the previous post in this forum enquires about replacement shocks.... Why? As his boss said to me "Well we can't ask John now."
I love just having the bike in the garage... Today's eBay delivery was swing arm bobbins for a paddock stand, whilst fitting them I discovered a Gremlin Bell hanging from the exhaust within the fairing!
Two serious questions: 1) Can I get replacement stock mirrors? My bike has aftermarket ones that just give me a blurred view of my own wrists and elbows! 2) A pillion pad? If I were to go on a Road Trip I should like to use a tail pack which would be more compatible with a pad than the tail hump...
Any thoughts/comments would be appreciated!
Adam

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm Adam, fifty something chap from Surrey. I have been away from biking for 10 years, but prior to that rode since I was 18, my last bike was an FJR1300. Last weekend I purchased privately a 2014 Benelli 900 Tornado Tre in red with 4400 miles. The previous keeper unfortunately succumbed to cancer last year and I bought the bike from his employer; a motor trader in Essex who had agreed to sell the bike (and five others!) for the man's widow. I rode it home from Essex last weekend in pouring rain, a journey that filled me with trepidation considering it was my first time out on two wheels in a decade. My first impression was that the engine and brakes were awesome but the suspension so hard that the expansion joints on the QE2 bridge felt like telegraph poles. My first job next week is to dial off some pre-load, and maybe some braking compression? It is apparent that it has had very little use: It was originally registered by In 2 Moto of Warrington and did 306 miles in 2 years (Demonstrator?). Since 2016 it has done about 1 K per year but of course had very little use in 2020 owing to the owner's illness. Looking through the history I can see that two years ago my predecessor engaged Hagon of Hainault to manufacture a bespoke rear shock for the bike for £375! I notice that the previous post in this forum enquires about replacement shocks.... Why? As his boss said to me "Well we can't ask John now."
I love just having the bike in the garage... Today's eBay delivery was swing arm bobbins for a paddock stand, whilst fitting them I discovered a Gremlin Bell hanging from the exhaust within the fairing!
Two serious questions: 1) Can I get replacement stock mirrors? My bike has aftermarket ones that just give me a blurred view of my own wrists and elbows! 2) A pillion pad? If I were to go on a Road Trip I should like to use a tail pack which would be more compatible with a pad than the tail hump...
Adam

OE Mirrors are as rare as hens teeth.
Don't think any UK dealer has any left now, maybe Manic Motors in Germany may have some.
Best chance is via this forum. There are a few who have some stashed away, and it usually costs an arm and a leg to get one in good condition.
Most are cracked near the base as it is the weak point when the bike goes over, otherwise you can sometimes get the outer shell without the inner workings or glass included at a slightly reduced price.
Any glazer will be able to cut the glass if you get one without any and you have the other side as a template.

Reactions: Scobbo

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Welcome Adam and congrats on your new purchase. You have just become a member of a very special group of bike owners.

With regard to your questions - you will find it very difficult to get aftermarket mirrors to fit and even if you do they will look crap in comparison to the stylish Benelli originals, Which are brilliant, by the way, if you like the look of your elbows!!!
These are unobtainable now as the company no longer make them so your only hope is to pick up a second user set and have them painted, if required, to match the colour of your bike (hens teeth, comes to mind)

However, don't let this put you off enjoying the bike in the meantime.

·
5,934 Posts
Welcome to our very exclusive group.
1) Can I get replacement stock mirrors? My bike has aftermarket ones that just give me a blurred view of my own wrists and elbows!
If you want your mirrors to give you a view of the rear, rather than your elbows, have a look here.
I think the time has come for someone to produce some carbon fibre mirror shells, with a better angle.
2) A pillion pad? If I were to go on a Road Trip I should like to use a tail pack which would be more compatible with a pad than the tail hump...
Maybe I'm missing your point, but unless you have an LE, there is a pillion pad inside the hump. The trick is to remove it without breaking the tabs on the hump.
If you want a bespoke rack, have a look at this.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
Welcome,welcome, welcome.

A good Tornado is a wonderful thing, just be aware of its well known foibles, all well documented on this here forum.

Enjoy the bike👍

fred

Reactions: RobShed and Scobbo

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

If you want your mirrors to give you a view of the rear, rather than your elbows, have a look here.
I think the time has come for someone to produce some carbon fibre mirror shells, with a better angle.

Maybe I'm missing your point, but unless you have an LE, there is a pillion pad inside the hump. The trick is to remove it without breaking the tabs on the hump.

Thanks Engenia. I uncovered the pad successfully last night. Intriguingly there is a sticker underneath saying it was manufactured in 2003, yet the bike was declared new by the importer/concessionaire in 2014. Checking the VIN the bike is no 930 manufactured in 2003 so it seems it has been in a crate or showroom for all that time! BTW my compliments on your really useful page, (I will follow up the info on the mirrors). I lived in Adelaide for a couple of years and my last bike was a Yamaha FJR 1300 which I ran there. I have to say I find UK roads more stimulating (and other motorists less scary :rolleyes:!) than South Australia. All the best cobber.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Welcome to ownership.
All 900's were built 02'-'04 with just the 1130's a few years later.
All your 'rubbers' (tyres, hoses, seals are 18 years old old and unless captive, will have seen daylight and therefore be embrittled.
Compile provenance to preserve value and chronicle mod (pseudo recall) history.
Errol's bible is a must read (better before you commit to purchase though).
Again welcome.
Robin & Nelly & Gina

·
5,934 Posts
I lived in Adelaide for a couple of years and my last bike was a Yamaha FJR 1300 which I ran there. I have to say I find UK roads more stimulating (and other motorists less scary :rolleyes:!) than South Australia.
The Adelaide Hills has some great roads. I grew up there. My favorite is the Bull Creek Rd. Too many cars on those roads now, with drivers who have never done a driving course and speed limits ridiculously low. The east coast is better. Tassie the best.

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,418 Posts
Adam
Last time I was at citimoto.be he had a box full(10-12) of standard tornado mirrors in various colours. Unsure of what he’s got left…… might be worth a call. He speaks English but is not brilliant at answering emails

fred

·
Registered
115 Posts
Last time I was at citimoto.be he had a box full(10-12) of standard tornado mirrors in various colours. Unsure of what he’s got left…… might be worth a call. He speaks English but is not brilliant at answering emails

fred
Hi

If all you can see is elbows then you are like 99% of tre owners who are above 5 foot. I took my mirrors off and stuck a wedge that you use for laminate flooring under them to lift the back of the mount up. Just drill a couple of holes in the plastic wedge and jobs a good un. I put up with this for a few years then got a set of mirrors with indicators in them from fleabay which have a better range of adjustment. The original red ones have been collecting dust in my garage for 12 years. No good if you want to keep it standard but the indicators do look cool.

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Adam
Welcome and congrats on the new benelli.
Can only really reiterate what others have said; std mirrors rare as a very rare thing.....and the pillion seat is clipped on under the cover.
Enjoy!

·
5,934 Posts
... then got a set of mirrors with indicators in them from fleabay which have a better range of adjustment. The original red ones have been collecting dust in my garage for 12 years. No good if you want to keep it standard but the indicators do look cool.
Got a picture?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well I've had a chance to spend a couple of days playing with the bike in half decent weather and I'm generally pleased. I've loved threading it through the twisties in the forests around Pirbright garrison. The engine is a gem and the noise it makes is fabulous. I find myself short shifting unconsciously because of the bottom end torque(not my usual M.O.!) The downsides I was expecting and are generally well documented here: It is trying to ride in traffic especially as it it is such a bitch to find neutral; I have sat through a whole phase of traffic lights with the clutch pulled in more than once. The multi display seems to have a mind of it's own and it is difficult to see the speedometer (I am 6ft 2in with a very tall sitting height). I have pleased myself by acquiring a pair of swingarm bobbins which work well with my Oxford paddock stand. I have also successfully adjusted the brake pedal to remove excessive play and dialled off some off the front fork preload which has made the ride less harsh. Of course the back now feels too solid and I am ruminating on how to address this. Hagon's website says adjustment "is best done with the shock absorber removed from the bike" and it would seem I need to acquire a special "Hook Wrench." :rolleyes: Looking at it in situ the adjuster ring is buried between the radiator hoses. Thoughts please? Aside I refuelled at my local Sainsbury's on Sunday and was approached by two admirers, one who asked about the fans(Neil). BTW I am using 97 Super as I saw something on Youtube about them not liking the ethanol additive in E5 fuel. Finally I may follow up the citimoto lead (thanks Fred) but I am already learning to live with the aftermarket mirrors; as the first rule of Italian driving gees "What'sa behind doesn't matter, it's what's in front that counts!"

·
5,934 Posts
You'll get used to selecting neutral as you coast to a stop.
Adjusting the cable play and the plate adjuster perfectly will maximise the lift and make it easier to find neutral at a standstill.

I've used E10 on many occasions and have found no drop in performance.
The ethanol helps to clean the injectors.
The tank is lined and so is protected against any water that the ethanol might dissolve. There has been a case of tank paint bubbling, but it is extremely rare.
I wouldn't worry about using E10, let alone E5.

As I've already mentioned, the front frame can be adjusted so that the mirrors become useful. Mine are fine.

·
Registered
123 Posts
97 Super - when I can find it I treat my Tre - I think the difference in throttle response is really noticeable - and for the annual mileage the extra cost is small. Mirrors - I use the small add discs , make enough of a difference to be able to use the standard ones. Enjoy the " wow I've never seen one before" - after 10 years ownership it still makes me smile !

·
Registered
927 Posts
Well I've had a chance to spend a couple of days playing with the bike in half decent weather and I'm generally pleased. I've loved threading it through the twisties in the forests around Pirbright garrison. The engine is a gem and the noise it makes is fabulous. I find myself short shifting unconsciously because of the bottom end torque(not my usual M.O.!) The downsides I was expecting and are generally well documented here: It is trying to ride in traffic especially as it it is such a bitch to find neutral; I have sat through a whole phase of traffic lights with the clutch pulled in more than once. The multi display seems to have a mind of it's own and it is difficult to see the speedometer (I am 6ft 2in with a very tall sitting height). I have pleased myself by acquiring a pair of swingarm bobbins which work well with my Oxford paddock stand. I have also successfully adjusted the brake pedal to remove excessive play and dialled off some off the front fork preload which has made the ride less harsh. Of course the back now feels too solid and I am ruminating on how to address this. Hagon's website says adjustment "is best done with the shock absorber removed from the bike" and it would seem I need to acquire a special "Hook Wrench." :rolleyes: Looking at it in situ the adjuster ring is buried between the radiator hoses. Thoughts please? Aside I refuelled at my local Sainsbury's on Sunday and was approached by two admirers, one who asked about the fans(Neil). BTW I am using 97 Super as I saw something on Youtube about them not liking the ethanol additive in E5 fuel. Finally I may follow up the citimoto lead (thanks Fred) but I am already learning to live with the aftermarket mirrors; as the first rule of Italian driving gees "What'sa behind doesn't matter, it's what's in front that counts!"
The Italian is " Quando sei Indeitro sei sempre Indeitro " Enzo Ferrari asked why his cars did not have rear view mirrors. What is behind is always behind.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Got a picture?
sorry I missed your question ... what is it you want picture off the old mirrors, the wedges or the fleabay mirrors i stuck cheers

·
Registered
115 Posts
sorry I missed your question ... what is it you want picture off the old mirrors, the wedges or the fleabay mirrors i stuck cheers
I have taken some piccys they are pretty crap i had to move 2 bikes out of the way and to get the other 2 out i would have to move the car and Im feeling lazy so until I get Mr Ben out next I hope these give you an idea
IMG_1792.JPG
IMG_1791.JPG
IMG_1790.JPG
IMG_1789.JPG
IMG_1788.JPG

1 - 20 of 49 Posts