Benelli Forum banner

Brabant motors

3K views 21 replies 0 participants last post by  Dib 
G
#1 ·
Ordered some sprockets and a carbon alternator cover from them on Monday , they are posting the parts out to me today, these parts no UK dealer have in stock and even if ordered they can,t give a delivery date so i,ll definitly use Brabant again.

G
#2 ·
Agreed, I was VERY impressed with the service, remember to spray WD40 or silicon over the exposed fuses and connectors that you will be hiding with the carbon cover (excellant fit by the way)

.GNOME.

G
#3 ·
Had an e-mail from brabant todaysaying that they now have a carbon fibre chain guard for 119 euros, it looks good so im going to order one, mines cracked anyway and it doesnt seem to matter what i stick it with it just keeps breaking, still the carbon one will look good with the alternator cover.

G
#7 ·
Re: brabant motors

The hugger i saw looked to be combined with the chainguard which i didnt like , however my carbon chainguard will be here tommorow hopefully so if someone can tell me in simple terms how to post a picture i,ll gladly do it.

G
#8 ·
brabant motors

i think i am right in saying that by fitting a brabant alternator cover i got myself a breakdown.
it started with the red light flashing on the rev counter and the dash flashing 'bat' occasionaly.
then it would not start one day and the solenoid was just clicking and i saw sparks from behind the cover.i took the cover off and everything appears fine.of course carbon is conductive.so probably the best place for the carbon cover is in the bin!!!

G
#10 ·

Hi guys interesting about the problem, I must confess when I saw the carbon alternator cover at reddogs I thought that it was very restrictive on air flow especially as the TNT alternator and starter both suffer from heat problems it does sound like the alternator has gone down its easy to check when running you should be seeing between 14 & 16volts going into the battery if you leave the bike overnight and the battery has flattened by itself this could me the alternator regulator has shorted as it tries to make the alternator work like a motor.
Keep us posted.

G
#11 ·

Zebo, youve got me worried now, do i take the cover off just in case or leave it on and hope for the best? Its the wirral egg run in 2 weeks time and i dont want a broken down Benelli at the side of the road with hundreds of bikes riding past, I,ll except the audiences vote on this one.:\

G
#12 ·

Hector, in my humble opinion anything that restricts airflow to the windings of the alternator is not good................... maybe the cover could be modified without spoiling the great looks? but until we know why zebos alternator packed up it might be worth removing it on a temporary basis.
vtxbrit.

G
#14 ·
brabant motors

i think the problem is shorting out through the carbon.it is a tight fit,it might be possible to insulate it.or maybe just forget it.do we really need something else to worry about on the italian piece of @#%$!
it is still an awsome ride though isnt it chaps.
zebo.

G
#15 ·

hi there, new to posting here but ive been reading the threads for some time some ,very usful info and sadly, uplifting knowing other people have the same problems. My wife has the tnt but when we go out for a ride and the beast goes wrong we are both affected so i try and keep myself up to date with the latest possible solutions. Weve had all the same defects as you guys along with a broken wire on the clutch lever switch which was handy as it happened as we were waiting to get on the chunnel to go to France, had to pinch the wires to get it going:lol
Anyway we to have fitted the carbon cover and yes it is a tight fit, i havent started the bike since fitting it so i'll have to wait and see how that goes. I did notice that there is a cable that is routed right over the top of the alternator cover which had to be re routed to stop it getting pinched maybe you have nipped that Zebo? will let you know how we get on with it,.....i donno if it aint one thing it's another:\ ps what pressures do you guys run front and back , the manual doesnt make much sense to me:eek: cheers

G
#16 ·

Hi Dib, mine hasnt got a wire running across the alternator and regarding tyre pressures, i know what you mean, the cd manual says one thing and the leaflet says another , i rang round a few dealers and they all said 36 front and rear and i must admit it suits me fine , mind you i,m only 10.5 stone , and for track days i drop the pressures to 31 front and rear.
hope that helps

Simon

G
#17 ·

Hi simon , that bike must fly with you on it :D . Dib runs 36/42 as a fail safe for those tyre sizes , i should give Dunlop a ring a see what they say, where do you do your track days mate?
cheers Rich

G
#19 ·

Zebo , ive taken the carbon cover off the alternator and at the top of the alternator there are two square holes with what looks like heat sinks behind them, the carbon cover only has three little holes drilled in place of the larger square ones,so ive cut square holes out of the carbon cover to give it more ventilation, i cant see what difference having a carbon cover would make to shorting out the battery as the original cover is metal anyway.

G
#20 ·

hi all , went out for 20ml blap today no problems with the alternator cover as yet, did manage to get the bike to spit me off whilst pulling away from a left hand turn:( lever, indicators radiator cowl shagged, dent in the rad , gouge in the lower engine case scrapes here and there and a dented lid. The new tyres certainly didnt help but ive been riding twenty years and ive never had the rear go like that, guess i cant handle the power:eek: what a twat i feel puking , the worst is that its my wifes bike but she's been real good about it thank heavens.

G
#21 ·

Hi Dib, sorry to hear of your mis fortune, if its any help you can get a replacement clutch lever from everything but bikes in Chester for about a fiver (it,s the same as an Aprillia rs 250) tel no 01244377555
Simon.

G
#22 ·

thanks Simon thats handy to know, trouble is i done the other lever so i think they are more expensive, gonna go on ebay and try and find a Ducati one that will fit
cheers Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.