Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys, bad news on the bike, I picked it up on Friday from the bike workshop with some nicely solid brakes and excellent stopping ability. All was well yesterday, however I did notice a little ore play in the lever.

By the time I got to Thruxton today I noticed they had softened up considerably, but managed to get home afterwards with the lever set to No 1 on the adjuster.

So advice please, where do I go from here, it looks like I am getting air ingress at some point but have no fluid leak!

I intend to phone the workshop p again tomorrow and have a word and I know they make braided hose kit there to whatever length you require - will this solve my problem? I don't want to end up forking out money for new hoses that I maybe don't need, but I am stumped as to what else may be wrong with them.

If I do go for them I will get twin lines made up rather than a 'split' line, but what length would be recommended by you lot out there?

I am supposed to be on a bike trip around Exmoor on the 28th April, and am pissed off as I may end up missing it - all advice gratefully received!

Andy

·
1,841 Posts
Hi andy, I would think it unlikely that the hoses were the reason ? more likely the master cylinder. Have you checked you have not got a warped disc ?? or worn wheel bearings ? this could be pushing the pistons back and giving the problem you have.

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi andy, I would think it unlikely that the hoses were the reason ? more likely the master cylinder. Have you checked you have not got a warped disc ?? or worn wheel bearings ? this could be pushing the pistons back and giving the problem you have.
Thanks Colin, I have no idea how to check whether the discs are warped - they certainly seem fine to me, but not being a bike mechanic, I guess anything is possible. Same goes for the master cylinder really, what should I look for?

I have been contemplating twin lines on the bike anyway as I prefer them to a 'split' line as we have on the Benelli, just have no idea about brake matters and seeing they are probably the most important bit on a bike I want them sorted ASAP!

Hacked off I couldn't bring the bike to work this week, I was really looking forward to it!

Andy

·
1,841 Posts
Andy , if you can safely get the front wheel off the ground (be careful and get help) you should be able to check for side movement by holding and twisting the wheel. If you spin the wheel you should be able to see if a disc is warped by just looking carefully. I cant really think how air would get in the system without fluid leaking ?! Does the excess movement only arise after riding ? If so the warp disc seems more likely....Hope you sort it soon !!:confused:

·
Registered
381 Posts
If you can pump the brakes up and get a firm lever again it could be a warped disk but if it is this bad I'm sure you would feel it when braking.

I had a similar problem but not as bad on my last bike and it turned out to be a faulty master cylinder sucking air into the line over time when the lever was released.

Mike

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have mildly warped disks, but they dont effect the lever travel that much (cant be bothered replacing them just yet).

I would have said that a seal has gone in a caliper, or the master cylinder is buggered.

Final option is that you have glazed your pads and you are boiling the fluid. If you have to use more than the gentlest brush of your index finger to stop, then your pads are buggered.

If glazing is the cause you may want to clean your disks with brake cleaner before you put the new pads on (watch out it is evil stuff and will take your paint off if left)

Aarron

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I think I found the problem!

When I went into the garage last week I locked on the front brake lever using a bungee cord wrapped around it and the hand grip, I came back thi week, and found my brakes were solid, so I was obviously getting air in the system. Anyway on checking my lines I found no leaks, checked the right caliper, nothing, went round the left side of the bike and bingo, thee was a small pool of brake fluid on the garage floor underneath the base of my fork.

The fork base was wet with brake fluid and I traced the leak into the caliper!

At least I have found where the leak is coming from and when the bike gets taken in this weekend I should be able to direct them to the problem!

Hopefully the good weather will return for when the bike is fixed!

Andy:D

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I have had 2 other bikes where the master cylinder has given me trouble (sv1000 & kwaka 12r) when I took the top of the master cylinder the oil was very dark and cloudy looked like the rubber seals were breaking down. The problem was no oil ever leaked out of the master cylinder but there was slight bypass on the seals making the brakes spongy)
Andy’s idea is very good (strap up the lever to put pressure on the system) if there is a leak that will certainly find it.
terry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts