Benelli Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep.. 1020 miles on it, my brand new Sport had the tranmission froze at about 35 mph.. I slid a bit then was stuck by the side of the road. I dropped it off at Monroe motors yesterday.. Since the transmission is ceased , I cant tell what went wrong, but I will update as monroe gets back to me -
Let's just say I am not impressed with a bike with only 1K miles doing this.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
Glad your ok thats the main thing...........are you saying the gearbox has siezed? there a cassete type so it wont take very long to remove and examine by the dealer...keep us posted this is a new one for me:(

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Glad your ok thats the main thing...........are you saying the gearbox has siezed? there a cassete type so it wont take very long to remove and examine by the dealer...keep us posted this is a new one for me:(
I it was the gearbox that froze, so we shall see what happens.. i will keep you posted, i told them to take some pics for me, I want to see.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Gearbox update

Welp monroe motors pulled apart the bike, and tada.. one of the gears lost some teeth and came apart in the gearbox. They have to replace the entire gearbox - Hopefully Benelli will get on it fast send me a new trany.. 1k miles and boom.. not impressed so far people :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
When you say band new do you mean as in a 2007 model?
Some dealers are selling left over stock from prior years as brand new as well.

I'm glad you are OK and you were not going any faster.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this kind of catastrophic failure so hopefully once it is repaired you never have to think about it again.

Nothing could be worse than having that thought in the back of your mind as you approach triple digit speeds.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
When you say band new do you mean as in a 2007 model?

Some dealers are selling left over stock from prior years as brand new as well.

I'm glad you are OK and you were not going any faster.

I haven't heard of anyone else having this kind of catastrophic failure so hopefully once it is repaired you never have to think about it again.

Nothing could be worse than having that thought in the back of your mind as you approach triple digit speeds.
2007 model sport, 1020 miles on it -

Yea no shit, I'm going to think it was a metallurgic flaw in a gear and hope it doesn't happen again.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
If you look at my old posts you will see that I had a new Honda that had major gearbox problems and Honda would not fix it, whilst it’s upsetting that your gearbox let go at least Benelli are sorting it out ASAP unlike Honda.
One thing how much swarf/ metal fragments were left in the sump…..only the oil for the gearbox also feeds everything else in the engine (big ends, pistons, cams, clutch etc) so make sure they put in writing that the whole engine has been checked for contamination from the damage and has passed inspection.
vtxbrit

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you look at my old posts you will see that I had a new Honda that had major gearbox problems and Honda would not fix it, whilst it’s upsetting that your gearbox let go at least Benelli are sorting it out ASAP unlike Honda.
One thing how much swarf/ metal fragments were left in the sump…..only the oil for the gearbox also feeds everything else in the engine (big ends, pistons, cams, clutch etc) so make sure they put in writing that the whole engine has been checked for contamination from the damage and has passed inspection.
vtxbrit
That is so wise, i will make sure i get Munroe to go over all of it!

Andrew

·
5,934 Posts
One thing how much swarf/ metal fragments were left in the sump…..only the oil for the gearbox also feeds everything else in the engine (big ends, pistons, cams, clutch etc)
vtxbrit
The only part that swarf/fragments can damage, is the oil pump. From there, the next stop is the oil filter. Providing the filter isn't bypassing ('cos it's fully loaded with rubbish), the rest of the engine should be fine. Check the pump though!
(that's my two bits)
cheers
Errol

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
The only part that swarf/fragments can damage, is the oil pump. From there, the next stop is the oil filter. Providing the filter isn't bypassing ('cos it's fully loaded with rubbish), the rest of the engine should be fine. Check the pump though!
(that's my two bits)
cheers
Errol
Spot on Errol that's the problem ..........blocked or damaged oil pump could mean lack of oil to all those other places I mentioned, can never be to sure.
When I was racing strokers many many etc years ago I remember blowing up an engine (top ring took the top of the piston off as it seized) what a mess! I spent days rebuilding ready for the following meeting and cleaned everything over and over again the engine was cleaner inside than an operating theatre.....put it back in the frame bolted on the exhaust pipe and fired her up..... bang!! it came to a grinding hault what had I done????
well when I stripped it down again I found fragments of old piston and rings jammed between the new piston and bore......after alot of head scratching I realised the only thing I hadn't cleaned was the bloody exhaust pipe....... as I fired it up it had sucked bits back from the exhaust straight into the engine.
I was only 18 at the time struggling to find money to race what a lesson.
Terry

·
5,934 Posts
I was equally amazed when my nephew told me the driving fan of his turbo exploded, which then caused cylinder damage. He found bits of the blades in that cylinder. The pump side of the turbo was fine.
Go figure!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, just to let you know, 3rd gear went out of my 2007 1130 cafe with 1800 k on it. It locked up in 3rd at about 140km, slid for a bit and thank heavens it freed up to stop. This was 2 months ago and still no parts. I can't get straight answers from anyone invloved. I miss this bike, it is a joy to ride but these headaches are getting hard to justify. London.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hey, just to let you know, 3rd gear went out of my 2007 1130 cafe with 1800 k on it. It locked up in 3rd at about 140km, slid for a bit and thank heavens it freed up to stop. This was 2 months ago and still no parts. I can't get straight answers from anyone invloved. I miss this bike, it is a joy to ride but these headaches are getting hard to justify. London.
SAME THING! 3rd Gear went out! BAD SIGN! This is stinking of a recall..

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So far no bike, and now im chewing out Munroe motors a bit to get on Benelli's ass.. having 2 2007 bikes have the EXACT same thing happen on almost the identical millage - BAD - This makes me completely nervous. I know Munroe is caught in the middle here, but they need to fight for me to make me, the customer happy with what is turning out to be a dangerously defective product.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Update

London here, Well, I am making slow progress with my Cafe. I have been told it wil be November for a certain bearing. I will be moving my bike over to another dealer once it has been repaired. I have an e mail address for a fellow at Benelli it Italy. I never did receive a response from any address I found in my manual. Let me know if you are interested. Have a great week! London.

·
Registered
56 Posts
email contact

London, if you'd be so kind as to PM the Italian contacts email address to me as i need some answers to questions that my dealer can't cope with!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well Benelli sent a new engine and replaced my existing one. Altho i have no idea what that means for registration - I will be picking it up when i get back to California from burying my father. A new engine to break in.. interesting.
Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts