Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Yikes.. another one falls. Never been a Buell fan, but have to respect any brand that does something a bit different, even if not always entirely successful.
Just goes to show no one is safe no matter how much backing from big companies they have.. lets just hope Benelli isnt next!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Bloody 'ell! didnt see that coming....
Not a huge fan of their machines myself but at least they were different to the ususal dross HD had to offer.
Mate had one a few yrs back and loved it, reckoned it was great on sub-100mph twisties, ended up that someone liked it even more and nicked it...

Can it be that their take-over of MV is at the back of this? with MV being the HD groups perfomance wing, at the expense of Buel?

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Can't help but feel for the guy. Can't be easy watching big brother 'pull the plug' on your company that you built up from nowt but I guess they won't be the last to go under in these difficult times. :mad:

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Can it be that their take-over of MV is at the back of this? with MV being the HD groups performance wing, at the expense of Buel?
Well, I think they will sell MV off.. :D

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Dont think so Dynamo, understand they are now owned by harley, hence my suggestion above that this may be the reason behind Buells demise: ie MV become the performance arm of the HD empire.

Does not make a lot of sense to me though, really cant imagine that mv and Buell are in direct competition
ie Italian performance, exclusivity, style and class as against american ......ermmmm ..... errr......vibes??????:rolling:

·
Registered
784 Posts

Details of Buell and MV Agusta Actions

The Company will discontinue production of Buell motorcycles. Remaining inventories of Buell motorcycles, accessories and apparel, while they last, will continue to be sold through authorized dealerships. Warranty coverage will continue as normal for Buell motorcycles and the Company will provide replacement parts and service through dealerships.

The decision will result in a reduction over time of about 80 hourly production positions and about 100 salaried positions at Buell. Employment will end for a majority of Buell employees Dec. 18, 2009.

Harley-Davidson, Inc. expects to incur approximately $125 million in one-time costs related to the discontinuation of the Buell product line. The Company expects to incur approximately $115 million of that amount this year.

Relative to MV Agusta, the Company will immediately commence efforts to sell the business, which is based in Varese, Italy.

In the third quarter, Harley-Davidson, Inc. recorded a one-time fixed-asset impairment charge of $14.2 million related to Buell and a goodwill impairment charge of $18.9 million related to MV Agusta.

"Buell and MV Agusta are great companies, with proud brands, high-quality exciting products and passionate enthusiasm for the motorcycle business. Buell has introduced many innovative advancements in motorcycle design and technology over the years and MV Agusta is known in Europe for its premium, high-performance sport motorcycles. However, our strategy to focus on the Harley-Davidson brand reflects the fact that we believe our investments in that brand are a better utilization of overall company resources," said Wandell

·
No good with spanners....
MV F3 RC, TNT 899
3,415 Posts
It is time for MV to replace the F4 shape,how long has it been hanging around for(beautiful tho it is)

They seem to have been resting on their laurels for a long time.Time for something new................

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Gutted for the Buell community, shame when a smaller brand falls by the wayside like Moto Morini and their recent problems too.
Harley bought them out as they were a threat and now shut them down like a blot from the blue, wouldnt mind betting they were planning that for a long time ??
See there is a lot to say for being owned by the Chinese, lets hope they believe in Benelli as much as us lot, Steve.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Poor Eric Buell really feel for the guy bet he wishes he never let Harley buy his company......I was moved by the vid gutted for him.Oh well there is always another Harley Bob Hardtail retro rehash with shitty chrome finish at silly prices with parts hand made in China to sell to some mug wearing a mickey mouse Chapter waistcoat on.....

Mark

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I see Benelli are putting 3 year warrantys on the bikes now:clap: I hope it's not like the mg rover deal 5 year warranty and shut shop in 6 months:bawl: :bawl:

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
"Relative to MV Agusta, the Company will immediately commence efforts to sell the business, which is based in Varese, Italy."

They really are stupid then....they cant have owned them long either?

·
Registered
401 Posts
MV are bringing out an all new F4 or F5 as think it will be called but not really sure if this is going to be all new looking at the new brute? But really not looking good for MV at the mo but hey happened when proton had them and paid MV 80m before than sold it back to MV for a quid one year later sound like this could happen all over again

·
Fyule
697 Posts
Really sad news about buell, you could really feel the emotion from Eric Buell in his announcement, it must be hellish to see what you built up crumble with the decision of others. Even the wife realised how big a decision this was.

·
Registered
513 Posts
MV are bringing out an all new F4 or F5 as think it will be called but not really sure if this is going to be all new looking at the new brute? But really not looking good for MV at the mo but hey happened when proton had them and paid MV 80m before than sold it back to MV for a quid one year later sound like this could happen all over again
They probably didn't want two sportbike producers in the group

Mark

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
decisions?

Harley probably dont like the Rotax liquid cooled engines being used instead of there air cooled, dated, large, breathless, emmission strangled, overweight, twin cams, and now characterless motors being used at the moment.:rolleyes:
My last bike was a 1250 Vrod, best bloody engine they made so far.;)

I've ridden the Buells and they are fine bikes.:)
I nearly had one delivered mid week to my house, but plumpt for a Nelli same weekend! :clap:

It was a close decision!;)

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts