Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, just thinking about buying a Tornado on a 04 plate but the vin makes it an 03 bike. Ive heard these can be a bit dodgy? Are they a worthwhile buy or should I go for a 04 or newer bike? Although it has full service history, it doesnt have records to show the mods have been done? I know on the early bikes the paint quality is an issue and indeed it does have the slight flaky paint on the lowers. Was there an issue with the Benelli logo on the tank too? The reason I ask is that one side looks fine but the other looks like the paint has bled slightly round the edges. Dont think its accident damage though. Any ideas? Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Hello UKSteve,

The EXPERTS will be along very soon to answer all your questions I'm sure. In the meantime, welcome. View attachment 422

·
Registered
73 Posts
Steve,

I have a 2003 LE. The original motor ... ( that should be a clue as to what is coming next) ..... was one of the 2002orginals that was out sourced by Benelli and assembled by MotoMorini.

After 3,500m it let go in a rather spectacular fashion.

I have since had a new motor fitted with all of the LE refinements from my old engine ... Magnesium this and that, dry clutch etc, and it is an absolute peach. These motors are assembled by Benelli themselves and are pretty bullet proof by all accounts.

Job well done by 3X Motorcycles in Dorset. All credit to them for returning it to better than new.

Not sure if that is much help, but that has been my experience.

Make sure it is a Benelli assembled motor and all the mods have been done. Surely the difference in price will be small but well worth it.

Cheers .....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your right buddy, think ill pay a bit extra and get a later bike mebbe 05 onwards. Any significant changes around that era thats worth knowing about?

·
1,841 Posts
If we are talking about the tre900 ? I thought all apart from the US models were made in 2004 or earlier,with the engines made by motomorini. So I dont think there are any bikes with benelli assembled 900 engines ? Then again I could be wrong ! Has any one got a 2005 made tre in europe ? Benelli has started building the engines in house now as far as I can make out.
You need to be sure that the mods are done ie the clutch,clocks,clutch arm,alternator drive shaft locknut etc. see Engenias web pages for good info.
:ele:

·
5,929 Posts
I thought all apart from the US models were made in 2004 or earlier,with the engines made by motomorini. So I dont think there are any bikes with benelli assembled 900 engines ?
All the VIN's I've seen for 900's are 2004 or earlier. The RS900's are built in 2004. These have all the mods done. So there is a possibility that at least some standard 900's were built by Benelli in 2004.
The modded 900's are fine. Mine's done 43,000km, and going strong.
The only ways to tell if they've been modded is, (1) to talk to the owner, &/or (2) the original seller, or, (3), open it up and see for yourself.
Check out my website under General/Recalls, for a list of bikes that are known.

·
Senior Post Whore
2,931 Posts
Hello UKSteve,

The EXPERTS will be along very soon to answer all your questions I'm sure.
Thanks for that intro Steve. I would love to offer my invaluable, technical and somewhat overwhelming advice on all things Benelli but I can't seem to catch that little bug that runs around on the screen:rolling:

Oh and welcome UKSteve:clap:

Al:D

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys, Im really confused now lol. I keep seeing 900TRE's being sold on a 07 plate but state they are a 04 bike? Is the 900 not made after 04 then? In that case, someone tell me what to buy before I get an Aprillia :eek: had a look on your site Enginia real helpful, cheers

·
1,841 Posts
They made tre900 for the USA in 2005 This is a typical vin no
ZBNB3TRB15P100042
I got this from ebay, the tenth digit indicates 2005 as year of manufacture.
I thought all others were made up to 2004 and I thought the in house assembly was after the QJ take over ?
my RS engine seems to be assembled by motomorini as it has MM and a number scribed on the rear of the engine, mind you I suppose that could be the operatives initials ie Mickey mouse ??;)

·
Italian bike junkie
590 Posts
They made tre900 for the USA in 2005 This is a typical vin no
ZBNB3TRB15P100042
I got this from ebay, the tenth digit indicates 2005 as year of manufacture.
I thought all others were made up to 2004 and I thought the in house assembly was after the QJ take over ?
my RS engine seems to be assembled by motomorini as it has MM and a number scribed on the rear of the engine, mind you I suppose that could be the operatives initials ie Mickey mouse ??;)
And I got this off my 900Tre here in California :D
ZBNB3TRB15P100011
Built in 2005.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I dont suppose if I were to get the vin number off the dealer selling this nelli, there is a database I can check it against to see what mods, if any, have been done is there? Would the mods be registered with Benelli UK?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Importance of dealer

Hi and welcome,

I have a 2003 on an 07 plate, and very happy with it I am too. With all bikes you get things that go wrong, and benelli is no different. I know many big manufacturers have frames that crack etc, that are pretty major in the scheme of things. Best advice I can give is whatever bike you buy make sure you are happy with the dealer and that he will give you the support you need. I know bennets are highly regarded, as are red dog and Taz, and all will ensure any tornado you buy has what it needs mod wise.

Cheers

·
Registered
73 Posts
UKSteve,

I have been riding for nearly 30 years and have had all kinds of bikes.
I have never had an engine let go on me .... even when I was racing for 2 years ... (although some would say that my sedate pace while racing was the principal reason that engines in my bike lasted so long) !

It was a bit of a surprise at the time, but I was over it by the time I got home. I just set about repairing it with the help of 3X Motorcycles. Now it is better than new with the latest, strongest engine.

That being said, even though I had a wee technical difficulty that would cause a coronary for some, there is no way I could part with this bike. In 30 years of different machines, nothing has affected me in the same way. Any niggling faults ... (which other machines have to) .... are far outweighed but the positive points ...... of which there are too many to mention.

I think my own experience was a complete one off and I have nothing but confidence in the new motor.

Get one ...... thrash it .... get hooked .....
You will not regret it.

Cheers ......

(No commissions have been received in the making of this advertisement) :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
UKSteve,

I have been riding for nearly 30 years and have had all kinds of bikes.
I have never had an engine let go on me .... even when I was racing for 2 years ... (although some would say that my sedate pace while racing was the principal reason that engines in my bike lasted so long) !

It was a bit of a surprise at the time, but I was over it by the time I got home. I just set about repairing it with the help of 3X Motorcycles. Now it is better than new with the latest, strongest engine.

That being said, even though I had a wee technical difficulty that would cause a coronary for some, there is no way I could part with this bike. In 30 years of different machines, nothing has affected me in the same way. Any niggling faults ... (which other machines have to) .... are far outweighed but the positive points ...... of which there are too many to mention.

I think my own experience was a complete one off and I have nothing but confidence in the new motor.

Get one ...... thrash it .... get hooked .....
You will not regret it.

Im a relative beginner then bud only been riding for 12 years :) Did you miss a bit in your post? Have you had a Benelli motor let go on you then?

Had quite an impressive get off in September on my ZX9R (written off), so im not ready for another just yet.

If I bite the bullet and buy the one Im looking at, do Benelli dealers charge for the recalled jobs? ie clutch backet, clutch actuator etc

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Did you miss a bit in your post? Have you had a Benelli motor let go on you then?
Hi Steve,
See DUre's earlier post on this thread.

If I bite the bullet and buy the one Im looking at, do Benelli dealers charge for the recalled jobs? ie clutch backet, clutch actuator etc
As long as it's still within the 24 Month warranty period you will have no problems with getting the work done by a Benelli dealer for free :clap:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Bugger :( this one Im looking at is a 2003 bike on a 04 plate so i guess if the work aint done I gotta fork out myself. Think Ill give it a miss. Im down in Devon and there is a distinct lack of Benellis down here. All the ones I see advertised are right the way up country. Wish I lived up the midlands again:doh:

·
5,929 Posts
I dont suppose if I were to get the vin number off the dealer selling this nelli, there is a database I can check it against to see what mods, if any, have been done is there?
Only one I know of is mine.
Would the mods be registered with Benelli UK?
In Oz, in some cases, the parts were sent out to the dealers, and it was up to them to do the upgrades. So the importer can't be sure they were done. (In Tax's case, it definitely wasn't for the alternator lockwasher:mad: )
For the bikes that the importer fixed themselves, there is a list. JohnnyO had a copy that he sent around to all of us here. I've included that list in mine. Not sure if the importer's list is kept up-to-date. I haven't seen a recent copy.

If you're willing to do some work on a bike, doing the mods is relatively easy. You should be able to get the bike for a substantial discount!
In or out of warranty, Benelli should supply the parts for nicks.

·
1,231 Posts
Buying

If you are buying from a Benelli dealer just ask if they are done and ask them to put it in writing. If its a private sale ask for the supporting documentation. If it is a used bike dealer, not Benelli, ask for documentation. Also, if its a used bike private sale ask if they are aware of the forum. Thats the true test of a Nellista (I just made that word up! (eat it Ducatista's) Most should be covered by a Benelli dealer as they are know faults not from misuse or abuse.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
NOOOOOOOO...........they let me test ride it, they let me fall in love with it then when I aint looking, they upped and sold it to someone else, callous, unfeeling [email protected] :bawl: oh well, back to the drawing board.:( bang goes getting one locally

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
NOOOOOOOO...........they let me test ride it, they let me fall in love with it then when I aint looking, they upped and sold it to someone else, callous, unfeeling [email protected] :bawl: oh well, back to the drawing board.:( bang goes getting one locally
Get a new one bud,:clap: if you ring up any of the main dealers you bound to get a deal on them delivering to your door. Shit, DHL would probably do it for a hundred quid its only a small country.Regarding the engine. When i was talking to russ on the Benelli stand at the NEC we were talking about the new 900 tnt, which means further development for that engine.ps Don't forget how much these bikes used to cost:clap: . One life live it.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts