Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys/Enginia, still looking around for a Tornado. Ive been talking to a Benelli dealer about the recalls and he seems to think it only affected a small number of bikes. He did actually mention this forum and suggest the problems have been over exagerated? It seems a large dealer so should be pretty sound. Thing is, most of the bikes available are miles away from me which means checking them out is a real problem so I have sort of resigned myself to buying blind.

Im starting to get a bit worried that most bikes advertised dont seem to mention the recalls. Who do I believe? Really want one, but worried about spending my hard earned on something thats gonna go bang after the three month warranty is up. :( The other option, is to buy a new one but Ive only had an hour on one. The plan was to buy a used one run it for 6 months and if i really love it then get a new one then. Not sure what to do now :bawl:

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
The plan was to buy a used one run it for 6 months and if i really love it then get a new one then. Not sure what to do now :bawl:
Get a new one with 24 month warranty from a good dealer Stevie and you won't regret it matey

·
5,929 Posts
..been talking to a Benelli dealer about the recalls and he seems to think it only affected a small number of bikes. He did actually mention this forum and suggest the problems have been over exagerated?
The problems are real, but not as common as this (or any) forum would suggest. You hear about the bad news, and rarely the good.
ALL the 900 Tre engines built in 2004 or earlier are suspect, unless the clutch & alternator drive mods are done. (The RS Tornados all had the mods done before leaving the factory)
My motto is - trust no-one. If you buy 2nd hand, and you're not certain the clutch & alternator mods have been done, strip her down & eyeball it. It's the only way to get peace of mind.
I'm starting to get a bit worried that most bikes advertised dont seem to mention the recalls. Who do I believe?
Who do you trust? Usually someone you know. Someone from this forum perhaps?
The other option, is to buy a new one
New price is pretty good over there. That's the safest way to go, but it won't reduce the time off the road, if something goes wrong.
With anything new, there's always a higher "start of life" failure rate, which falls mid life, then rises again at "end of life". For me, it was the edge of the ECU support, cutting into the loom in the first 2 months. That hasn't happened to anyone else. If I had sent it back to the dealer, it would have taken 3 months to get a new loom, so I fixed it myself, and was back on the road next day.

I think the theme here is - if you can do some work yourself, you'll be almost hassle free. The other side of that coin is, if you know what could go wrong, you can fix it before it happens.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im an ex mechanic guys so know my way round a spanner. :clap: If i buy one uncertain whether the mods are done or not, are they straight forward and fairly cheap to recitify? Im guessing the clutch basket is the worst. If they are, then all I need to concentrate is condition and mileage etc :D So tempted to buy new though but cant decide whether i prefer the green/ silver or yellow. Decisions decisions lol By the way, sorry to keep hassling you guys but wanna make the right decision. :bow: To all of ya

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
That statement is so true by engenia in that on here faults or what maybe better described as niggles are discussed and solutions found and that as an ownership we all want to improve the breed and tell others why we like them, if its mechanical its going to break/wear/fatigue so its up to us as long term testers to find these and get them to occur less (think benelli will all pay us salaries for our testers status !!). my mille broke down , my honda sp1 broke down and no doubt others on here have had problems with all marques so is it not best to be forewarned to be forearmed :) . In a perfect world buy new if not buy secondhand after checking all you can - i think i'm honest enough to say if my bike was for sale i'd want the new owner to know what he/she was buying ( i bought mine from a very pretty german girl who omitted to tell me everthing and she could of told me she had purple ears but i fell in love with the bike and owner ;) .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool, think what ill do then is ask this dealer as many questions as I can and if Im happy with that then Ill buy and get them to deliver. When i have have it in my sweaty hands then ill have it apart and check the basket, alternator washer and the clutch acctuator :) I gotta stop faffing or ill never get anywhere :rolleyes:

·
Registered
380 Posts
An other who wants it delivered....
the fun is to travel ( thumb)
arrive
collect/sign the papers
go and pay
on the way home you shall getto know your new ride:doh: :doh:

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
An other who wants it delivered....
the fun is to travel ( thumb)
arrive
collect/sign the papers
go and pay
on the way home you shall getto know your new ride:doh: :doh:
I tend to agree. I took the train down to Wimbourne 16yrs ago to buy my SFC1000 from Three Cross. Journey back (270m) was great fun :D

Bob

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Get a new one with 24 month warranty from a good dealer Stevie and you won't regret it matey

I agree with Laurence, buy new with 2 years warranty. :) While you still can....;)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Thats that then. Just paid for a 2004 Tornado TRE. Green and silver (of course) so by next week will officially be a Benelli owner :) Will it change me? lol:D Red Dog by the way.

·
Super Moderator
7,774 Posts
Well done that man:clap: ......... Interesting colour scheme as well:-
Green and white (of course)
Didn't know they done them in this combination but I think I know what you meant ;)

(I wonder how long it will be before you find yourself slowing down so that you can catch your reflection in large shop windows.........or is just me and Al that does that :D )

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
welcome steve there !! , good to see you finally got sorted . hope that you get out to a meeting where other benellis are . enjoy your new ride:) . is yours the one with titanium can and double bubble screen from red dog, nice low mileage as well .

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
welcome steve there !! , good to see you finally got sorted . hope that you get out to a meeting where other benellis are . enjoy your new ride:) . is yours the one with titanium can and double bubble screen from red dog, nice low mileage as well .
Yeah thats the one bud, just hoped its as good as it looks in the pic and is as clean as they say it is. They seemed to be trustworthy and honest just hope i dont get let down. Ill post pics as soon as I get it :clap:

·
5,929 Posts
Thats that then. Just paid for a 2004 Tornado TRE. Green and white (of course) so by next week will officially be a Benelli owner :) Will it change me? lol:D Red Dog by the way.
Good decision Steve.
Let me know the VIN, engine # & recall status when you've got her?

·
Registered
77 Posts
Hey Steve, welcome to the gang :)

Laurence... and I thought I was the only guy who secretly crept forward at the lights until my nelli's reflection filled the nearest shop window!

If there is anyone down south, would be good to have a meet some day..

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Thats that then. Just paid for a 2004 Tornado TRE. Green and white (of course) so by next week will officially be a Benelli owner :) Will it change me? lol:D Red Dog by the way.
Steve, patience rewarded & well done. The time of huge :D has arrived.
Enjoy!

Bob
p.s. it always had to be green and silver ;)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts