Benelli Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can you give me some advice on buying a 2nd had Tornado 2003 model (53), What to look out for, prices of parts, reliability etc.

Cheers and Hello :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
One thing I'd say is get a look at the full service history and find out exactly what work has been done on the bike. Some parts on the bike need to be rectified in order for it to be trouble free. Are you buying it from a shop or is it a private sale?

And welcome to the forum me old mucker;)

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The one i'm looking at is a private sale £4850 4k miles. unless I wate until Aug when I can afford a new one £5999

Only problem I have is I do about 8-10k miles a year some wet travel no problem for my SVs (which i wish I could keep)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Buy a new one

I'd wait buddy and then get yourself a new one;) A nice full warranty and the fact that you have that piece of mind that you know exactly what the bike's been up to:D
Where abouts are you buying it from (if buying new that is)?

Al8)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Buy a new one

dealerservices.autotrader...4&pageid=3

£5999 stated on their autotrader advert. I should get £3200 for my bike, Just not sure I can wait although £4850 for a 3 year old does seem a tad dear when their £5999 new.

Its the servicing and parts all my mates keep harping on about

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

The earlier bikes were more expensive and thats why the current owner must be wanting GBP 4+,

This bike is still around E18,000 in the Netherlands and retailed for Australian dollars $33,000 in Australia.

So some of us who were early adopters paid dearly :-(

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I've had mine 2 days so perhaps I'm not qualified to comment.. however, if you buy something like this expecting Japanese levels of reliability and finish etc.(and parts availability and so on). then I suspect you'll end up disappointed and angry... it seems from reading this forum that some people want the exclusivity and perhaps kudos of owning something exotic but dont have the patience or understanding to appreciate that there is a price to pay.. you really can't have your cake and eat it when it comes to Italian bikes... I think that in that a Benelli is a bit special, a bit different to the rest, then a potential (happy) owner is also not your average biker..

and to be honest thats the way I prefer it.. Those that are just looking for a bit of eye candy to impress their mates (or to inflate their ego) should really stick with the latest Jap-U-Like....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Sorry if that all sounds like a bit of a rant..

I hope you do decide to have one (I just hope that you don't end up disappointed)..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bolero

Hmmmm...reading your comment parts of it ring true...however having owned Hondas, Yams, Suzukis, Prilliers and now Benelli...I'd say that all bike have their foibles (don't think anybody would despute that)

I know all about the 'troubles' that Mr Merloni caused with shite backup (and initially product, in places,too) etc.etc. but we're talking really about volumes here. Essentially the more the company churn out, the more it will cost 'em when things go wrong. Therefore the more they bang out that go wrong, the more chance you have of getting it solved (replacement or fixing). However smaller volume manufacturers obviously can't absorb that cost like the big 4 so they're not gonna budge even when push comes shove.....and there we have the downfall of (Indesit financed) Benelli. Let's hope QJ take a different tack.

I'm not here to defend crap backup and make excuses from the manufacturer but I have been at the receiving end having to make warranty claims for both Italian and Jap marques. It s always the same old story....unless it's a published recall...which happens a lot less than it really should, you're left caught between a shop that doesn't want to pay (which legally the contract of sale is with them not the manufacturer) and the factory denying anything is wrong!

It's not unreasonable to expect, regardless of price, that
a new anything shouldn't go wrong but if it does it should be fixed asap. We all know that's not the case.

Anyway I digress, if you want a workhorse, get a tried and tested model and not something that is highly strung and needs servicing every 3000 miles. Plus parts ill be cheaper too!

Is this post relavant? Possibly not but I don't care coz I've had my boring rant...now I'm off to lunch

1 - 9 of 9 Posts