Benelli Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this may be a personal preference type of thing, but what advantage does a cable clutch have over a hydraulic system?

Why does Benelli have the cabled clutch rather than a hydraulic system which seems to be a more hi tech method of clutch control as per most other modern sports bikes out there?

Is there an improved feel to the use of a cable set up?

Of course the cable set up is cheaper and easier to maintain/repair too....but isnt the hydraulic system more precise?

All my current bikes are hydraulic, with the Benelli the only cables set up. The last cabled clutch bike I had a KTM Ralley bike from the old days.

Thanks for any replys.
:bow: :bow:

·
Registered
254 Posts
Look at the jap sport bikes, mostly cabled. Only clutches that can't be made light (Ducs)etc need to be hydraulic. Me LE is so light, I wouldn't want it hyd. Besides, I think i'd rather play with arm length to get the right ratio than swap masters and cylinders. In a race situation, cable is better at surviving crashes(and some of the curb jumpers here on the forum).

·
Registered
1,758 Posts
Look at the jap sport bikes, mostly cabled. Only clutches that can't be made light (Ducs)etc need to be hydraulic. Me LE is so light, I wouldn't want it hyd. Besides, I think i'd rather play with arm length to get the right ratio than swap masters and cylinders.
The clutch on my Tre is heavy when compared to Johnnys LE which has a featherweight feel [Wonderful LE, but I can't afford it :( nm Johnny can pay me the commision later ;) ]

·
5,934 Posts
I changed to a hydraulic clutch for it's better reliability.
When a cable is about to break, you get next to no warning. A hydraulic system will deteriorate gracefully, warning you well ahead, of complete failure.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hi,
The Clutch Master Cylinder from Aprilia ETV 1000 CapoNord.
The Clutch Slave Cylinder from Ducati: 748 - 749 - 996 - 998 - 999 - S2R - MS4 - MS4R - MS4Rs - ST2, 3, 4.

Also need add 10mm (8mm diameter) at the clutch command rod!!

;)

·
Registered
784 Posts

Could you check out on the master cylinder the brembo part number? It would really help alot.

I found the Aprilia part # 8106713 , but I would like to find it elsewhere...

What do you mean "Also need add 10mm (8mm diameter) at the clutch command rod"?

Thanks

·
Registered
73 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
I changed to a hydraulic clutch for it's better reliability.
When a cable is about to break, you get next to no warning. A hydraulic system will deteriorate gracefully, warning you well ahead, of complete failure.
Yea I had one go on my Triumph it made for some roundabout high japes I can tell ya !! :ele: :ele:

·
Registered
147 Posts
Thanks for the CAD, that saves a lot of time. This is something Ive been meaning to do for a while (but racing always seems to get in the way). Once a hydraulic system is up and working its reliable forever (unlike a cable)

However I would make one change to improve it even further; Instead of using the old pre-2001 type 1 ducati slave cylinders your plate would work just as well with the post 2001 type 3 slave cylinder but you would need to add 23mm to the end of the push rod, not just 10mm.

Unfortunately the old type 1s fail rapidly. Ducati messed up the design, and their supplier messed up the quality control on the seals. Allthough not as bad as a clutch cable snapping it is still just 10 - 15 miles before you have no clutch at all. On my ST2 the type 1 failed in heavy traffic just 3 weeks after I baught the bike (it was changed to a type 3 under warrenty and did another 17,000 miles without incident). My friends 916 failed in france and we had to bleed his brake every 10 miles until we could get to a ducati dealer in le-Mans.

Aarron

PS Im guessing the LE has a light clutch because it has different clutch springs, or it can get away with much less opening distance due to better plates. It just means the clutch wont last as long.

·
5,934 Posts
PS Im guessing the LE has a light clutch because it has different clutch springs, or it can get away with much less opening distance due to better plates. It just means the clutch wont last as long.
LE has a dry clutch doesn't it?
So the pressure doesn't have to be as high to get a grip, hence lighter springs.
(that's my 2 bob's worth)

·
Banned
36 Posts
However I would make one change to improve it even further; Instead of using the old pre-2001 type 1 ducati slave cylinders your plate would work just as well with the post 2001 type 3 slave cylinder but you would need to add 23mm to the end of the push rod, not just 10mm.

Aarron
Aaron,

Can you please explain why would you need rod 23 mm longer and not 10mm? If the plate is 10mm thick where does another 13mm go? Is 13 mm is the actual depth of the Clutch Slave?

I also have question to rionero963. Why did you only made a narrow half mooned inlay instead of cleaning up the cavity for slave cylinder piston?

Answers would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
319 Posts
you can not compare the rod and hydraulic 1:1. The piston of the hydraulic slave is set back a bit. So, there is a difference in the length.

I did not use an 23mm adaptor but bought a new pin and cut it to the according length.

·
Banned
36 Posts
you can not compare the rod and hydraulic 1:1. The piston of the hydraulic slave is set back a bit. So, there is a difference in the length.

I did not use an 23mm adaptor but bought a new pin and cut it to the according length.
So, based on your design and plate thickness of 15mm how long was your rod?

Your answer will be greatly appreciated. I got everything ready to convert the bike to hydraulic clutch. Just want to know 100% the length of the rod to accomplish the conversion faster

Thanks
Vlad

·
Registered
342 Posts
falcolion

let me know how you get on with the installation, I am particularly interested in knowing if you have used the adapter plate in the drawings and if it fits well, the length and kind of fitting of the hydraulic line, and any other helpful tip for the conversion.

Cheers!

·
Banned
36 Posts
I will post detailed info once I am done.

Also on a side note. In previous posts of this thread someone mentioned Master cylinder from Aprilia and Slave from 748 Ducati. I just want to point out that 748/996/998 and Aprilia Falco, Mille, Tuono (all 1st Gen) use the same master cylinders. Aprilia has the black ones and Ducati keeps them gold

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hello

well i use this one, it fits without any changes direct to the Benelli, and you dont need a different rod.

i combinated it with a radial mastercylinder from Brembo and it works very easy

Julius

1 - 20 of 23 Posts