Benelli Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I bought a Café Racer 2007. I'm maintaining a summary of my experience for the benefit of anyone who's thinking of buying it, but feel they need information that goes beyond spec sheet data and simple tryout. It's in french, but quite readable: http://www.motardsjoufflus.com/index.php?page=tnt1130

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi.

I bought a Café Racer 2007. I'm maintaining a summary of my experience for the benefit of anyone who's thinking of buying it, but feel they need information that goes beyond spec sheet data and simple tryout. It's in french, but quite readable: http://www.motardsjoufflus.com/index.php?page=tnt1130
Thanks for the link it was a decent review because I normally read first impressions from magazines and normally they love it or miss it.
There´s a problem that I´ve read and still don´t know where it starts and ends - battery...do we need to change for a better one for all the electrics to work or is the alternator because I found on this review that the bike can let you down specially in town with heavy traffic.
This review don´t mention but is it expensive the regular maintainance for instance compared to a ducati?
One thig is for sure is big risk to take this bike as your main transportation.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
New battery

Unfortunately, the TnT is a "design" bike with very few tolerance for customization. The battery is of a specific size, rather small, and fits very snugly in its craddle under the seat. Good luck for finding one of the same size (so having more or less the same lead content) that's significantly more powerful. My dealer already replaced the stock one with another that's supposedly better, but I honestly didn't see any improvement.

But, yes, the hard fact remains that if you don't remove some load off the alternator, your battery will empty itself in heavy traffic. And once its charge is too low, killing the engine by accident will leave you stuck. As is discussed in my review above, you can still get stuck with a full battery, but starting the TnT on compression on a flat surface without the help of the barely-functionning starter will leave you exhausted as well as stranded (unless you're an athlete with legs of steel).

Seriously, if you're not a "sunny sunday" rider, this can be inconvenient and sometimes even dangerous. I was (and still am) extremely dismayed, because I never imagined I'd find this sort of ludicrous problems in a motorcycle with the same price point as a top-of-the-line BMW.

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
I have had 2 TNT's a 2005 model and now a 2007 sport, both have been ridden on long trips abroad as well as long and short trips in the UK.
My first TNT had about 14500 miles on it....yes I did have hot start problems in the early days (loads of post on this subject and how to cure) my 2007 has nearly 9000 miles on it and has never refused to start....they do need a good quality 14 AH battery fitted (not the 12 AH factory fitted) and ideally left on an optimiser when stored at home, but this is not unique to Benelli, all bikes should be left parked on an optimiser if you want the batteries to last more than 18 months.
I am just finishing trials on a little Gizmo that improves battery output which in turn can reduce fuel consumption, improve performance and increase battery life span. (Keep you posted on this)
vtxbrit

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have had 2 TNT's a 2005 model and now a 2007 sport, both have been ridden on long trips abroad as well as long and short trips in the UK.
My first TNT had about 14500 miles on it....yes I did have hot start problems in the early days (loads of post on this subject and how to cure) my 2007 has nearly 9000 miles on it and has never refused to start....they do need a good quality 14 AH battery fitted (not the 12 AH factory fitted) and ideally left on an optimiser when stored at home, but this is not unique to Benelli, all bikes should be left parked on an optimiser if you want the batteries to last more than 18 months.
I am just finishing trials on a little Gizmo that improves battery output which in turn can reduce fuel consumption, improve performance and increase battery life span. (Keep you posted on this)
vtxbrit
So the question is what´s the best battery to invest on a Benelli?

·
I'm firing on three
611 Posts
The Yuasa battery is reliable this is the spec for the TNT

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YTZ14S

Voltage: 12
Capacity: 11.2
Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"
Weight: 8.6 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm
Metric Weight: 3.9 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: N/A
Amps: 1.1
C.C.A.: 230

Terry

·
Registered
18 Posts
The Yuasa battery is reliable this is the spec for the TNT

Battery Family: YTZ Factory Activated, Maintenance Free
Battery Type: YTZ14S

Voltage: 12
Capacity: 11.2
Dimensions: 6" x 3 7/16" x 4 3/8"
Weight: 8.6 lbs.
Metric Dimensions: 150mm x 87mm x 110mm
Metric Weight: 3.9 kg
Polarity:
Acid Volume: N/A
Amps: 1.1
C.C.A.: 230

Terry

·
5,934 Posts
vtxbrit
Now you've peaked my interest - I await with baited breath.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
But, yes, the hard fact remains that if you don't remove some load off the alternator, your battery will empty itself in heavy traffic. And once its charge is too low, killing the engine by accident will leave you stuck. As is discussed in my review above, you can still get stuck with a full battery, but
Have you read the posts about hot start problems being caused by the meshing of gears. Read it here (starter problems) does your dealer know about this.
I have the same problem and have asked my dealer to look into it.
I have a lot of faith in my CR, and do not treat it like a second bike. The CR is my first bike and the others are second to ride. Had to ride the SV the other day so it would not feel left out. Was fun to ring it's neck on the twisties. But certainly does not ride like my CR.
Paul

·
Registered
346 Posts
Have you read the posts about hot start problems being caused by the meshing of gears. Read it here (starter problems) does your dealer know about this.
I have a lot of faith in my CR, and do not treat it like a second bike. The CR is my first bike and the others are second to ride. Had to ride the SV the other day so it would not feel left out. Was fun to ring it's neck on the twisties. But certainly does not ride like my CR.
Paul
Hey, I was going to ride my SV one of these days too.. .. I think about it all the time, but dont feel like putting more air in the tires.

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts
Hey, I was going to ride my SV one of these days too.. .. I think about it all the time, but dont feel like putting more air in the tires.
You have to stop neglecting them like that. They like to be ridden once in a while and sometimes hard and fast. :D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Paul
The question is not about "liking" the Café Racer, who turns better or even religious faith. Modern bikes all have their distinctive personality, and the CR sure has a nice one. That being said, here in Canada the CR costs not 20%, not 50%, but twice as much as an "ordinary" bike (such as an R1, CBR1100 or VFR, that can all take corners without blowing to smithereens). That's about 10K more. Given those conditions, I think it's reasonnable for all of us to expect about the same reliability you can get with cheaper bikes-- right?
And I'm not talking about mere "cosmetic" details. I often ride my bike in less than clement weather and when a bike, any bike, refuses to start at -5C, what can I say, it's not a plus for me. When the bike's unsufficiently protected electronics (hi-beams & flashers relays) fail because the cold october rain eventually makes its way under the front fender, it's not a plus either. When I'm caught in slow traffic during a hot summer day and the fans overload my weak alternator and drain my battery, so I get stuck in the middle of where I don't want to be, that's definitely not a plus.
Of course, when I take it only when it's over 0C, don't ride when it rains too much, and unplug one of the front light to give the alternator a break, then all is well and I only get the "not so bad" kind of problems. But then, I need another bike to carry me around for those times when my CR gets cold feet (which I didn't have to with any of my 5 previous cheaper motorcycles). So I use my CR as a second bike, because the other one will perform under all circumstances, although not as stylishly or powerfully or whatever-ly.

Seriously, having paid so much for my beautiful Café Racer, don't you think I'd like nothing better than to howl its praises as loud as I can?
To appease your just wrath, allow me to add that none of the problems forementionned are unsurmountable by Benelli, nor fixing any of them would alter the look or personnality of the CR. For the price they are asking for it, I think they should kick their lazy engineers in the cohones so that they fix those few small reliability issues in its next release-- for the benefit of all of us CR-lovers out there...

·
5,934 Posts
... they should kick their lazy engineers in the cohones so that they fix those few small reliability issues in its next release-- for the benefit of all of us CR-lovers out there...
I'm with you 100% on that one!
In the mean time, the existing machines will need some tender loving care to keep them on the road. Some climates, like yours, may make this a lot harder to do though.
(This forum relieves that burden somewhat :bow: )

·
Registered
403 Posts
The question is not about "liking" the Café Racer, who turns better or even religious faith. Modern bikes all have their distinctive personality, and the CR sure has a nice one. That being said, here in Canada the CR costs not 20%, not 50%, but twice as much as an "ordinary" bike (such as an R1, CBR1100 or VFR, that can all take corners without blowing to smithereens). That's about 10K more. Given those conditions, I think it's reasonnable for all of us to expect about the same reliability you can get with cheaper bikes-- right?
And I'm not talking about mere "cosmetic" details. I often ride my bike in less than clement weather and when a bike, any bike, refuses to start at -5C, what can I say, it's not a plus for me. When the bike's unsufficiently protected electronics (hi-beams & flashers relays) fail because the cold october rain eventually makes its way under the front fender, it's not a plus either. When I'm caught in slow traffic during a hot summer day and the fans overload my weak alternator and drain my battery, so I get stuck in the middle of where I don't want to be, that's definitely not a plus.
Of course, when I take it only when it's over 0C, don't ride when it rains too much, and unplug one of the front light to give the alternator a break, then all is well and I only get the "not so bad" kind of problems. But then, I need another bike to carry me around for those times when my CR gets cold feet (which I didn't have to with any of my 5 previous cheaper motorcycles). So I use my CR as a second bike, because the other one will perform under all circumstances, although not as stylishly or powerfully or whatever-ly.

Seriously, having paid so much for my beautiful Café Racer, don't you think I'd like nothing better than to howl its praises as loud as I can?
To appease your just wrath, allow me to add that none of the problems forementionned are unsurmountable by Benelli, nor fixing any of them would alter the look or personnality of the CR. For the price they are asking for it, I think they should kick their lazy engineers in the cohones so that they fix those few small reliability issues in its next release-- for the benefit of all of us CR-lovers out there...

I know what he is saying, I reackon I had / Have the "hot start" issue, and it hasnt been fixed, hence with the Aussie guys in recievers, then I willbe forking out for fixing the old toaster on ANZ credit. Amen
:bawl: :bawl: :bawl:

·
Cafe Racer member
676 Posts

Point Taken.
I fully understand how you feel. Where I am located the weather is normally (98%) of the time very good. I do not think I would want A Benelli in your type of weather.
The other point is that the Benellis prices here are not as ridiculous as yours are.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Point Taken.
I fully understand how you feel. Where I am located the weather is normally (98%) of the time very good. I do not think I would want A Benelli in your type of weather.
The other point is that the Benellis prices here are not as ridiculous as yours are.
Thanks Paul for your message about the started thread. I'll show the info to my dealer to see if I can get him to investigate further. I don't want to get my hopes up though: I've ordered a left mirror last year and I'm still waiting...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts