Benelli Forum banner

Calling in to say Hello!!!

2K views 12 replies 0 participants last post by  johnyrottin  
G
#1 ·
Hello there, I managed at long last to find this forum, a place where I hope to gain information about my recent purchase, and hopefuly dispell any worries I have at the moment.

Bike was bought in the UK and exported to Germany on 31st July, after 4 weeks of running in and suffering an extremely heavy clutch, I booked in for a service at Motorrad Lust in Cologne. On speaking to the workshop manager, he agreed the clutch was to heavy and on inspection they found BITS MISSING!!!!

Anyway, that was sorted under the warranty, then I had a further 4 weeks of trouble free riding, until 3 1/2 weeks ago, when on a ride home from the Nurburgring (No the bike wasn't thrashed around the 'ring)

Anyway on the way home, I had a sudden loss of power, followed by the most horrible sound coming from the engine, then within 10 seconds it died on me, bottom line of that is that a valve stem snapped causing the 'head to drop into the piston at around 7-8,000 revs!

I have now picked up the bike today with a new engine being supplied by Benelli, but I am now paranoid that something else is going to go wrong, every bump I felt in the road coming back this evening made me thing the engine was running rough, but at least I am back on two years at long last!

Hopefully my luck will change, and I will be able to meet up some of the guys in the UK, when I am back home on leave!

Andy

See less See more
G
#2 ·
Congrats

Not to worry, you have purchased the sexiest bike in the world. Unfortunately, all hot women have their problems. Once you get through them the bike will be tight. Did you buy a limited edition one or a biposto? Which UK dealer did you get it from? What was price? And what parts were missing so that we are well informed if we experience similar problems?

G
#3 ·
Re: Congrats

Hi Johnny!

As for the Clutch, I am not sure what was missing, unfortunately my german is not 100% therefore a little got lost in the translation, aparently there was a mod to the clutch (?); well this was not performed by the dealers I purchased the bike from in the UK (I will let you know who and for how much at the end...then you will never speak to me again!)

The engine fault was a little different, apart from one of the valve stems breaking and dropping the head (sorry, not the mechanical type here!) into the piston housing, there aparently is also supposed to be two return springs per valve, well mine only had one spring per valve, so this may have caused the problem.

The dealers in Cologne (Motorrad Lust) were absolutely brilliant, they have been ever so helpful and got the bike sorted for me as quick as possible, and also appear to have worked non-stop since taking delivery of the engine to sort it for me (less than 24 hour turn around once the engine was received!)

Right onto the dealers, and a little story as to why I took the plunge...

I had a mishap at the Nurburgring back in June which resulted in me cartwheeling a Suzuki SV1000s, after spending a lot of money individualising the machine to my needs I ended up with a complete write off. Thankfully I only ride with fully comprehensive insurance, and protected no claims, I managed to claw back more than the resale value of the bike!

Onto why Benelli... well having spent the majority of my career in the Army over in Germany, I have been fortunate enough to be able to get to see quite a few of the SBK rouds in northern europe, back in 1998 (or was it 1999) I fell in love with the Goddard Tornado the first time I saw it on the track and as for the sound ....WOW! Unfortunately, at the price they were and my mediocre wages in the forces, ownership was merely a dream.

Anyway, after picking myself up and dusting myself down after the accident on the Sv (thankfully I was uninjured), my next door neighbour mentioned her brother worked for 'On Yer Bike', and if I was getting another bike to consider him as it would help him a little by getting his bit of sales commission. I went on there website, saw they were selling the Tornado's for £7,500 or so, then wondered why? Coming form the south I looked on the 3X site and they were selling them for the ridiculous price of £6,000 in a so called new, but shop soiled condition... I managed to pick up the last Biposto, complete with Carbon fibre kit (Huggers, heel plates and double bubble screen), Meta 357 alarm and Optimate for the tempremental batteries for the princely sum of £6,500. On top of that I, being a serviceman in Germany, am entitled to buy goods VAT free, therefore this reduced the price down to an incredible £5,531!!!!!!!!!! The bike was pristine apart from the tiniest of dinks in the exhaust (about 1mm diameter!)

The rest is history, I could not let up on the opportunity to own a bike that was only a dream 8 years ago!

I love the bike, the styling, the ride position, and despite a very hard saddle! The fact that due to the shape of the saddle it is actually more comfortable than my SV which had 2 inches of seat padding!

So, there you have the whole story! Now you lot can ignore me for the rest of my tenure on this site as you will all be totally disgusted with the price I paid for my bike, especially as some of you would have paid in the region of £25,000 for yours!

Regards,

Andy

G
#4 ·
Nicely done

Actually I applaud you! I bought both of mine from three cross. I paid 6200 GBPs for the biposto and (sit down for this) 8500 GBPs for my LE. One of my buddies is buying the biposto from my in march. He is [aying me now but his misses would have his testicles hanging from her rearview mirror if she found out!! Both are immaculate as the biposto is now up to a whopping 126 miles and the Limited Edition is up to 8 miles. Yes, true mileage. If you have any friends that are interested in one then three cross has one of the World Superbike versions available for 12999 GBPs. They can call Jordan at 01202-810204. Good kid, he is. Other than that I had the same clutch problem on both were the part manufactured originally by the factory was to small leaving it difficult to shift into neutral from first at a stop. Both sorted in 30 minutes by Sam at three cross. I did look at one at on yer bike but chose not to buy it there for 2 reasons. One: They wanted 7 grand for it and wouldn't budge on the price. That one had 600 miles on it. Two: I went in there and it took over an hour for them to even come talk to me and there was only myself and one other bloke in the showroom that morning. No customer service! Anyway, went from there to 3cross and bought 2 of them. I also am a military member and remember the prices being so high that I could only dream about them. I loved to just glare at them. I think they are THE best looking bikes made, period. The MV runs a close second but doesn't quite make it. I just hope that since Quin Jing or hqwever you spell the company's name has taken over they will infuse the company with the proper attitude and resources so we can get all these little problems sorted out properly and make these bikes as reliable as Japanese bikes. It appears as if the prices are going to come way down on the new ones but I haven't heard officially yet.

:rollin

G
#5 ·
Re: Nicely done

<blockquote><strong><em>Quote:</em></strong><hr>Both are immaculate as the biposto is now up to a whopping 126 miles and the Limited Edition is up to 8 miles. Yes, true mileage.<hr></blockquote>

Bl**dy Hell! I have had mine 2 months and am over the 1,100 mark!

Andy

G
#7 ·
Re: clutch

"Bl**dy Hell! I have had mine 2 months and am over the 1,100 mark!"

I put 900kms on mine in the first 24 hours! Melbourne to Canberra via Black Spur, Mansfield, Bright and the Alpine Way. Some of the best roads in Oz. Had a ball.

G
#13 ·
Make it a weekend

Just make a weekend out of it. We are all gonna meet down ther for a fri, sat, sunday campout and go to the races. Also, getting together for a benelli sunday breakfast. Gonna get as man together as possible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.