Benelli Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had their Cam chain snap?

Mine went in early May at 8000Kms:rolleyes

broken into 4 bits

Lots of engine damage caused as a consequence.

Anyone replaced their cam chain yet?

And if so did you find a stronger alternative?

I remember Johnny O postin something in July.

Does anyone know whether the TnT and RS engines have an upgraded Cam chain from what was in the 03 Tre's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Hi-VO or FTS

The original replacement chain has a pitch of 7.85mm - I measured outside 2 rollers (12.4mm), then inside (3.2mm).
[7.85 is a wierd value - I suspect it is actually 5/16" (7.93mm).]

The roller diameter is 4.55mm.

The measurement inside the inner plates is 4.9mm.

Outside the outside plates is 9.9mm

The chain is marked "JAPAN" & "M" with a "waisted" rectangle above it.

It is endless with 59 pin link plates.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: Hi-VO or FTS

For my next trick, I'll tell you where to get a stronger one.
(Don't hold your breath - I'm better at changing water into wine)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cam chain guide

Could someone please explore the theory of front cam chain guide failure on the Tornado, I think it isn’t the cam chain but the actual front guide that could be the culprit which leads to the breakage of the chain. I do not think the guide can cope for 25,000Kms with the battering it takes.

Can you all please have a look next time you get your cam chain and valves checked.

Gary could this be the case with yours?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: cam chain guide

Thanks Engenia for the measurements.

Probably we will hear more about this "guide" so it may be that we do not have to worry about the chain itself.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Tax, had my cam chain snap at under 4000mls on my 05 tre. Been 4 months now without her, Had only heard of one other that snapped. Hope it's not another gremlin of these bikes ????
Be warned though, benelli have changed the valves now, but they don't send out the collets for them, so this takes about a month to get some after the first one's disappear when sent recorded delivery be royal mail.......

Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Gary, any idea why the chain broke?
Is it possible that the guide broke first, leaving the chain to de-rail and then break?
Do you still have the broken bits?

I was reading an article about a Toyota engine, with very high mileage, breaking chains because the guide breaks. The article can be found here.

I have a new guide sitting on my desk, ready to install with the new chain in another month or so. It's machined from plastic, not reinforced with any metal backing, and doesn't inspire a great deal of confidence.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Engenia, Can't tell you why the chain broke, can't look either as still havn't got my bike back, it's sitting in Red Dogs in kent were it's been for 4 months. Just found out that it wasn't the wrong collets sent out, they(benelli & kjm) have realised that they sent the wrong bloody valves in the first place which has held it up by nearly 2 months.
I will call Red dogs & ask if they consider it was the guide or the tensioner and let you know if i get an answer. The only problem is that it seems impossible to get an answer on anything regarding the benelli whoever you talk too from my last 4 months experiences.
Sounds like sour grapes i know but i think i'm intitled.....
Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which failed first, Cam chain or guide?

Gary, can you get the broken bits of chain from Red Dogs?

If you can, then inspection of the breaks could show whether it started from a crack (ie. the chain failed), or not (ie. the guide failed). This would be invaluable information for us all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Which failed first, Cam chain or guide?

Hi Engenie, will be calling over to kent next week, i will see if i can get into Red Dogs and ask for bits, or have a look atleast.
Can't say that will be a definate thou, time not on my side..
Gary

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Which failed first, Cam chain or guide?

Hey guess wot, the new valves turned up eventually, and yes there wrong again, how many different valves & collets did they fit on the tre we ask, obviously more than 3..........

Gaz

1 - 13 of 13 Posts