Benelli Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In a bit of a stand off with my car dealer over a handbrake issue.

Its got one of these foot operated handbrakes and apparently they break frequently. I've had the car for a year and mine has gone 3-4 times now.

Anyway its an easy fix and mine was last done a couple of months ago at its last service. I recall asking the daler at the time if it does break again is it a safe enough just to leave it in park (its an automatic btw) to save me coming in again for a while. He said this would be fine. Of course it only lasted about a fortnight and so I've just been using park for the last 6-8 weeks.

Long story short I took it in today to get it sorted and they've told me that there has been a build up of rust with the brake not being used and this has damaged the disc - all in going to cost me £400.

They tried but failed to put it through as a warranty claim but I'm really not happy about this - its a fault with the car and has occured as result of firstly their repair not lasting and secondly their poor advice that it could be left unattended for a while.

I really don't see that I should have to pay out for this. I don't think I am being a tight fisted Jock here.... or am I???

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I think the words "Fit for purpose" comes to mind, and I don't think ya being tight fisted, just fisted by the garage. Good luck with it mate.. :)

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Sounds like its not fit for purpose and I would contact customer services of the car manufacturer and get them to look into it . if its been a common fault then use that as leverage with customer services .

·
Premium Member
4,429 Posts
Seems like me and stephen had the same thought. Also if you have receipts showing when previously done then show copies of this .

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
It should be sorted by the dealer/maker but it seems you will have a fight on your hands

Saying the discs are knacked sounds really fishy to me, in just 8 weeks

Is the car on finance?

If so contact the finance company as they really own it and tell them its not fit for purpose

Tell them that you have spoken to a lawyer and name a lawyer in the conversation and he says to talk to them first then get back to him[the lawyer] with what they say

Did the above with a cutting out Vfr800vtec and they swapped it in a week

If its not on finance contact RAW DEAL in the sunday post, its amazing what they can acheive when somebody stops listening to you, like bennets bloody insurance rip off merchants

And lastly what heep of **** car did you buy:D so I can stay away from them

Jesus please dont tell me its Italian

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice gents.

Nope its worse than Italian...in fact its worse than French!! In fact, I must need my head checking as its American (albeit with a german engine). Its a Chrysler 300c - bought it purely for its looks which are the car equivalent of marmite. I've got the touring verison which is good for the mutts.

Apart from the handbrake issue its been a pretty damn good car. Its particularly good on my frequent 500mile slogs down to Norfolk. Only other complaint is the interior is a pretty dull place to be but I can live with it and the tyres are bloody expensive (£400 a corner) as it has 20inch Startech rims.

Anyway, back to the story...for the first time ever in my car owning career I think I've won!!!

I went down to the dealer and after my rant on the phone the guy has done a complete turnaround - his exact words were, "don't ask me how but I've managed to get it through on your warranty but I'll have to charge you for new pads."

Nearly bit his hand off as I was ready for a fight - going to cost £63 plus VAT versus £385 plus VAT...can't beleive how easy that was! He must have known I was coming with the full strength of the Benelli forum behind me.

So in my mind that's me justified spending all that money on the Nelli's carbon tank covers...or rather it will now be very easy to hide that expenditure from the wife:clap: :clap:

·
Fyule
697 Posts
well done there, result. and with the added bonus of clearing the guilt for the nell parts, pure genius. In fact I think i have a cunning plan now......

·
Benelli Wannabe !
6,865 Posts

·
TnT explosive tester
1,011 Posts
Smart looking motor though:D

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
:clap: ..RESULT..:clap:

(And a nice looking motor..)​

·
Registered
297 Posts
Im lost on that one....surely the handbrake operates the rear brakes like on other cars? which would mean there couldnt possibly be rust on the disks?

If I were you, in any case...I'd want to see the part he's replacing before it's removed. Smells fishier than a fish market to me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts