Benelli Forum banner

Carbon Rims

2K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Engenia 
#1 · (Edited)
Anyone fitted carbon rims to their bike? I know Al had some 3 spoke Dymags on his...
Im thinking 5 spoke BST rims would look rather nice on the Yellow RS...

Thoughts?

See less See more
#3 ·
I've been trying to get BST to make some for Nell, but they're taking their time about it. They only have the factory drawings for the LE wheels, which are slightly different to the standard Tre. The front rotors have an ever so slightly larger inside diameter. The rear hub is slightly different - but it's no issue.

There's 2 of us in Oz who are after them. If you add your weight, they may just decide to pull their fingers out.

Contact Chantal Viljoen, Sales Administrator at BlackStone Tek ChantalV@blackstonetek.com

#5 · (Edited)
I had the 5 spoke Dymags on mine and after looking at the difference between the ones from BST and Dymag, I opoted for Dymag for a couple of reasons.
BST would only manufacture the rims if they were placed on a bulk order and since I only wanted (and could afford the one set) then that was out of the question.
Then I looked at the specifications between the BST and the Dymags and seen some interesting differences between the two.
The BST wheels are really shiney looking and the Dymag are slightly duller by comparison. The reason for this was that BST use more lacquer on their rims and less CF material (this may be why the BST rims are a fraction lighter than the Dymags) and also the rims from BST did not include the price of the hubs and rear sprocket whereas the Dymags did. Dymag would also manufacture rims per customer order rather than bulk. So I placed my order with Dymag. I had to wait a little bit longer for my rims as they were in the process of producing rims for the teams that were entering into the Isle of Mann races at the time.
Then they arrived!!! Felt like two empty boxes that had 'Fragile' stamped on them as I took them off of the delivery driver they were so light.
Opened the boxes up and creamed my pants at what lay inside. The front rim you could hold up (and I'm not kidding when I say this) with your little finger on an outstretched arm. The rear rim was of course a little heavier but that did include the titanium hub and lightweight sprocket, and could still be held out with your little finger on an outstretched arm (but it did hurt a little:rolling:).
Did it make a difference to the way the bike handled? Ooooooohhhhhhh yes.
I opted for a rear sprocket that went up by one tooth size and even that made a huge difference too. Two finger braking dropped down to just using one finger (and you could still get the rear to lift off the ground). I've always been a late braker but with these rims I could go even later ... much later. Cornering was a joy. It really was. I found myself heading for my local roundabout on many a summers night and would happily go round until I felt dizzy. Each and every time the bike would just go were you wanted it. I had 2ct's fitted at the time and I loved those tyres. Nice and grippy when you needed them to be. The steering is ultra light and the acceleration would often have the front wheel pawing at the air when you opened her up.
I miss not having my Nelli but if I ever bought another (and I will) it will come with an order of 5 spoke Dymags as standard. I can't imagine riding it without them.
You've probably read all the hype about how good CF rims are and it's all true.
Be warned though ... I told my insurance company that I had them fitted to the bike and they excluded them from my insurance. So when the dreaded day came when I crashed the bike ... I lost my wheels too.
If you can afford them then get them. You'll never want another set of standard rims again after you've had these babies fitted.

Ohhh another thing ... plenty of the bike shops around Edinburgh wouldn't fit the rubbers to them though! Why? They were scared in case they broke the rims ... lol. One bike shop (Alan Duffus Motorcycles) even wanted me to sign a disclaimer saying that if they damaged the rims then they were not to be blamed:rolling:
I took them into a local Honda dealer who had agreed to do them for me if I bought the tyres from them and I took them in to the shop to have them done. Every man and his dog wanted to have a look at the rims and to feel the weight of them. The poor bugger that fitted the tyres on was sweating like a bitch with everyone standing over him watching. :D

Right, now that I've sold the Dymags to everyone ... who wants a set?

Al ;)

#9 ·
My wheels Errol were ordered from this comapany http://www.bikehps.com/
and the part numbers were specifically created for me as I was the only person to have these wheels produced for the Tornado. The bloke I spoke to was called Ben and he said he would be happy to answer any questions that you may have for him.
So, the part numbers Errol are 44948 (Front) @ 17/3.5 and 44949 (Rear) @ 17.6 (I had a 190 on the rear but they could also do a 17/5.5 if you were running a 180 at the rear too).
At the time I paid just over £2110 (inc delivery) for them so I don't know much they would be asking for them now. With VAT being cut from 17.5% to 15% here in the UK I don't know if it might work out cheaper getting them delivered to an address here and then sent over to Oz? Who knows?

I hope this helps buddy,

Al;)

#10 ·
I kid you not lads, they make your bike feel a helluva lot different but only in a good way .... no, make that a great way;)
I used to corner like a hectagon in my old gixxer and when I got my Nelli I was loads better. But when I got the Dymags? F*CK ME!!!! I was Valentino Rossi:rolling::rolling:

Al

The cool part comes when your mates tell you that your brake light must be knackered because it doesn't come on until you're right at the entrance of the roundabout:D:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.